Caching Through The Snow IV - December 9th

Team Rampant Lion

I have finally gotten around to posting the event listing for Caching Through The Snow IV which will be held on Sunday, December 9th in Sparta, NJ.

As always, there will be a pre-event activity or hike. I am evaluating a few options and locations so please watch this thread for more information as the event date approaches.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Here is the coin design for the event. As I was a little slow on the "draw", I am hoping it will make the deadline.

For event attendees, I will have an antique silver finish on top of a shiny gold metal and for non-attendees I will have an antique bronze on top of a shiny silver background. As I went with two metals and a 3D treatment, I think these will end up being $10 a coin.

You can see the coin design image HERE.

As always, there will be a pre-event activity or hike. I am evaluating a few options and locations so please watch this thread for more information as the event date approaches.

Any idea when the hike might start and where? We're looking forward to this event!

The coin is really cute, too.

Pris

Any idea when the hike might start and where? We're looking forward to this event!

The coin is really cute, too.

Pris

The pre-event hike will be at one of three locations:

1. Kitattinny State Park (Andover) near GCJ604
  2. Sparta Glen Park near GCQZM1
  3. Sparta Mountain WMA (Edison monument location) near GCRJXF

All are within a 15 minute drive of Kroghs. I will be scoping locations this weekend and next to make a final determination. We will plan to meet at 9:00 AM where ever it is.

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Here is the coin design for the event. As I was a little slow on the "draw", I am hoping it will make the deadline.

For event attendees, I will have an antique silver finish on top of a shiny gold metal and for non-attendees I will have an antique bronze on top of a shiny silver background. As I went with two metals and a 3D treatment, I think these will end up being $10 a coin.

You can see the coin design image HERE.

Can I get 10? I want to use them as stocking stuffers!--seriously I'll bring cache.

We are now at above 50 confirmed attendees and it is time to do some of my logistical planning.

1. If you will be interested in an event coin, please let me know. There will be two versions, each with two types of metals (shiny gold/antique silver and shiny silver/antique bronze). Because of the design, size, tracking code and multiple metals, the cost will be $10 a coin.
  2. For the morning hike format - do you prefer the one, very large group (all together) or the multi-team format like last year?
  3. Please confirm to me the number in your group who will be going to the Krogh's Restaurant. I need to make sure they set aside enough tables.

It looks like it is shaping up to be a lot of fun. PRAY FOR SNOW!!!

Already logged "Will Attend" on the cache page, but here are the answers to your questions.

1. Will purchase 3 event coins (2 shiny gold/antique silver & 1 shiny silver/ant bronze)

2. Didn't attend last year, but several smaller groups sounds better than one large group.

3. A total of 2 attending at the restaurant (myself and Stellar Jr)

Can't wait, hope we get some more snow for the event. (We just got 9 inches here in PA today).

The pre-event hike will be at the Sparta Edison WMA. A few requests for the location, it's the only place we have actually had snow for this event and Treequest offering to help place some new caches (thank you very,very much!!) sold me on the location.

We will plan to meet at the (small) parking lot near the Edison monument [N41 03.817 W074 34.243] between 8:30 - 8:50 AM. Step off shortly thereafter to keep us on schedule for Kroghs at 12:00 (noon).

If the parking lot is full, please pick your parking spot as to not block the road in any way or you'll risk getting a ticket. Last time we were here, people did a very good job and I was not aware of any problems.

Should be another great hike. PRAY FOR SNOW!!! :ph34r:

The pre-event hike will be at the Sparta Edison WMA. A few requests for the location, it's the only place we have actually had snow for this event and Treequest offering to help place some new caches (thank you very,very much!!) sold me on the location.

We will plan to meet at the (small) parking lot near the Edison monument [N41 03.817 W074 34.243] between 8:30 - 8:50 AM. Step off shortly thereafter to keep us on schedule for Kroghs at 12:00 (noon).

If the parking lot is full, please pick your parking spot as to not block the road in any way or you'll risk getting a ticket. Last time we were here, people did a very good job and I was not aware of any problems.

Should be another great hike. PRAY FOR SNOW!!! :ph34r:

I am pretty sure that we will be attending... Third Year in a row

Forecast for tomorrow - Winter Storm warning :D:D:D

Forecast for next Sunday - 47 degrees and rain :laughing::mad::mad:

You guys aren't doing your snow dances right. Pray for SNOW!!!

Hey... we be dancin'... we be prayin'... we be slacrificin' a geocache to the snow gods tonite...

and we be there!

See y'all Sunday!

The Welsh Rarebit Burger is the best!!!

Cheddar/beer sauce... how can you go wrong???

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

We logged in at event page that we're attending both pre-event hike and Kroghs'.

CJ wanted me to state again, "just in case..." :) she'd like a shiny gold-colored coin.

Learned our lesson from year two's hike - no nanook wear when force-marching. <_<

Just about killed us from overheating.

In case of rain, we're still interested. Will show with rain gear and umbrellas (good for us AND the caches)and will have a few extras (use 'em as trades in big caches) in case someone forgets.

However, will indeed hope for snow !

Cache safe.

We logged in at event page that we're attending both pre-event hike and Kroghs'.

CJ wanted me to state again, "just in case..." :) she'd like a shiny gold-colored coin.

Learned our lesson from year two's hike - no nanook wear when force-marching. :wub:

In case of rain, we're still interested. Will show with rain gear and umbrellas (good for us AND the caches)and will have a few extras (use 'em as trades in big caches) in case someone forgets.

Cache safe.

The forecast seems to be clearing out the rain to Monday. We will get snow tomorrow so maybe there will be some in spots but the temps Thursday - Sunday appear to be in the high 30s so it may not survive.

We are up to 59 confirmed hikers! WOW!

Even more attendees are confirmed for the real event at Kroghs. Get there early if you want a table as that is about 10 more people than they have table space. Don't worry, there is additional room at the bar.

Ok, here are the first of eleven new caches placed out in the Sparta WMA for the pre-event hike on Sunday. If you are joining us on the hike, PLEASE resist the urge to go get a first to find on Saturday. Load up these coordinates and the others in the area so you are ready to go.

Red Tape

Hibernate

Ed's Old Man

TomE's Fingertip Cliff Climber

Bandit's Hideout

Boulder Bowling

For the competition style hunt we will have, you need as many of the geocaches in the area loaded as possible. So far, weather still looks good - we had snow today.

See you Sunday.

CJ wanted me to state again, "just in case..." :laughing: she'd like a shiny gold-colored coin.

Learned our lesson from year two's hike - no nanook wear when force-marching. :lol:

Cache safe.

The forecast seems to be clearing out the rain to Monday. We will get snow tomorrow so maybe there will be some in spots but the temps Thursday - Sunday appear to be in the high 30s so it may not survive.

Even more attendees are confirmed for the real event at Kroghs. Get there early if you want a table as that is about 10 more people than they have table space. Don't worry, there is additional room at the bar.

Is the group reserving the entire restaurant?

It's pretty small unless theres a basement or something that I don't know about?

CJ wanted me to state again, "just in case..." :( she'd like a shiny gold-colored coin.

Learned our lesson from year two's hike - no nanook wear when force-marching. :D

Cache safe.

Is the group reserving the entire restaurant?

It's pretty small unless theres a basement or something that I don't know about?

Yes, we are pretty much reserving the entire restaurant. We are already over their capacity for the dining room as they maintain a few tables by the windows for "regulars". But there is additional room in the bar area and they will serve food there so we are probably good to go. Again if it is really important to be at a regular table (ie. have kids) be there right at noon. But we should be alright.

More housekeeping note:

1. Parking near Kroghs is at N41 01.949 W074 38.475
  2. It would be a BIG help to the Krogh's staff if you can be clear about how you plan to settle your bill up front (individual vs table). They will do it either way but a table bill that you divy up is best for them.
  3. Again, arrive early if you want a table. We will overflow the dining area so some people will need to go in the bar area.
  4. I have asked Kroghs to set aside a large, long table for the CaptainMath group of 20. If you are not in that group, please pick another table.
  5. The doors at Kroghs open at 12:00 (noon)

Looking forward to the event.

Last post of the morning before I head out the door.

The weather is turning on us just a bit as the morning is forecast to begin as snow this morning and then turn to freezing rain this afternoon. It does sound like we will get through most of the hike (and possibly even the lunch) before the freezing rain arrives. But the possibility that the messy stuff arrives early means it will be important to have good footwear (ie. hiking boots) and poles or a walking stick would be adviseable.

Looking forward to seeing everyone today!

Finally recovering from yesterday's event. I have to rethink that mid-point location next year if I am going to lug out a big box and stereo. My back and shoulders are paying for it today.

Anyway, it was a really great event and I am so glad so many of you put it on your schedules to attend. From the pictures, logs and emails, it sounds like everyone had a great time. Thanks again to Treequest for hiding half the new caches in the area. His "hide flavor" really helps make this event special.

I do have coins left for anyone who wants more or anyone who was not able to attend but collects coins. Send me an email letting me know if you are interested.

I'll put together a YouTube video soon so keep watching. Happy Holidays everyone! :unsure: