Any suggestions on 1 part of a multi?

swizzle

I'm setting up a multi in the morning. On part 2 I am kinda stuck. I have a tree that has an intresting smaller tree twisted around it. On the back side of the bigger tree is a spot where a branch died and I tried to dig it out. It didn't work to good. I still want to place a micro here but the surface area to place the micro is about a 2 inch flat circle where the branch broke off at about a 90 degree angle. Basically it is like a small flat shelf. If I put a micro here that is shiny it might be spotted by a muggle or a bird. But it also makes a good perch for a squirrel. Should I search for another spot? Its still on the trail and along the way and just far enough from the last micro to place this one. So far its 3 parts and a final. It is fairly close to a sand pit but they are constantly changing it and pulling sand from different areas. What do you guys and gurls think? swizzle

The location is awesome for a micro but the actual hiding spot isn't quite so desireable. I think I will look for another spot. I'll just have to active my geoscences. I spent a couple of hours hollowing out a branch and attaching a small piece of the branch back onto the bottom. Now its a plain looking stick that will slide into a hole in the side of a preselected tree. I'm putting some decent thought into this one and I'm hoping my original cache thats in this area is far enough away so that I don't have to archive it. So much planning for a short and cute little multi. The trail is open now for the public but its not offically open until next year. Swizzle

...a branch died and I tried to dig it out...

...I spent a couple of hours hollowing out a branch ...

I'm a little worried from your description about what you're doing to the tree. Maybe I misunderstand you, but I get the impression you might be doing something that a reviewer will not be able to approve (per the guidelines).

I agree. It sounds to me like you drilled a hole in a tree. Not a good thing! The reviewer will frown on this one.

Also, check the distance between each stage of your multi, to make sure they are ALL at least 528 feet (.1 mile) from your other cache. You should do this before submitting for approval. It makes no sense to submit a cache that will get turned down.

Sounds like a cool cache. I hope it works out for you.

Nope I didn't harm any tree's. The branch I hollowed out was from my own maple in my front yard. About 22 miles away from the cache site. The tree that I tried to clean out I was simply trying to break off the dead pieces of the branch that was in the hole. It wasn't working so I gave up. I won't damage tree's in the enviroment I am caching in. The branch I took was from pruning of my own tree not just because I wanted a branch so I ripped it down. The hole in the tree in part one is about 3 inches deep. I didn't have to clean that out at all. Just splashed a little water out of the hole. For part 2 I finally decided to take advantage of a stake with an orange flag tied to it. I stabbed it with a thumb tack and stuck a nano on it. The clue for that one is "Capture The ****" Hoping they will think, Capture The Flag and just examine the stake instead of wandering around the woods destroying the foliage. Al of the cache parts are within 8 feet of the trail. Here's a pic of my maple branch that I drilled out. The bark doesn't match the tree that its in but it still looks natural. Swizzle

Geocaching019.jpg

Geocaching017.jpg

Edited by swizzle

Here's one I saw on a recent mystery.

Stage one there was a piece of waxed cord or fishing line that had knots in it that corresponded to the coordinates.

EG: one of my cache coords N 49° 29.081 W 119° 34.996

4 knots, space, 9 knots, space, 2 knots, space, 9 knots, space...etc.

Put the N on one cord and the W on the second cord and tie it around a branch. Just make sure you put the knots close together or you'll have a LONG cord lol. It's hard to see trust me. I had my hands on it, and totally didn't realize it was the coordinates!