Kern County Cachers (Official Club Thread)

elrojo14

>>It seems I have to organize an event and that I can't organize a hunt.

I was up all night wondering what the difference was between an Event and a Hunt was ... now I'm assured there is a difference! I love Marko Ramius for that. There's not enough anal retentives in this world, so we need one to preside over us in the Geo-world. Thank you Marko! What would we do without the Rules?

As for a logo, uh, I can try to work one up too. Unless we're all going to pitch in and mint some coins, why do we need one again? We're not a corporation, are we? :D Too bad a frog with an antenna sticking out of the top of his head is taken, that would be huge for Kern County! Maybe we can buy a floppy sponge suit and take turns walking around in it - so much better than a boring logo!

Nice set up on the rules Rojo. I think 4 months is about what ppl can handle. Me, I'd like to see it go 6 months, but my experience with the Redneck Race was that folks can only take 16 weeks at a time. That's about the length of football season, right? Ok, then we have the Super Bowl party at Rojo's house in Taft!!

Unless Marko rules against it... :)

For the future, how about if we select a different night of the week for our monthly get-together? That way we wouldn't tie up Tony's table space for such a long time, thereby costing him money (and making him cranky with us). And we wouldn't feel pressured to leave when we might feel like hanging around a little longer. Just food (pizza?) for thought.

I can make one sugestion. there is a group up here in Sacramento Area River City Geocaching & Dining Society They meet once a month and they move the place around. they will either do BBQ's, picnic's or at resturants. As a matter of fact this is the group that hosted Geowoodstock. It alows people to bring friends to. This has really grown the sport up in that area. I am hoping to get something like this gooing up here in the modesto area. I am also wanting to put together a website up here. Geocram1 I am glad that you found my Cache while up in this area for Geowoodstock. I love that store. I put that cache there as soon as the parking lot was finished. Well happy Caching all. Greg

Yeah, I would suggest a new venue if we are taking up too much of his business. There has to be some place in town where we can hang out and no one will pay us much attention.

It is a busy week for me right now, but after it I will make an effort to get the payment and other instructions up for the event. What was the consensus at the meeting?

I will make an effort to get the payment and other instructions up for the event. What was the consensus at the meeting?

The consensus was that any payment goes to Hedge via the upcoming "Bank of Hedge" ATM lookalike cache. Your instructions for the event are great; no one read them and everyone agrees that they're the best instructions they've ever not seen.

Bako1313 hooked me up with a silver Porsche Cayman S at Tony's. It's so fast I've already lapped everyone else twice. Bring on the racin'!

I received my Geocaching merchandise from Groundspeak and my plastic ID holders too. Now I just need to find the time to get a few things up and running.

Soon Ten Percent Firearms will be the only retail location in Kern County that I know of to carry Geocaching merchandise in stock!

Ok folks, I have my Pay Pal up and running and the race rules and entry guidelines are posted.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

First 12 contestants to sign up get a free TB hitchhiker and plastic ID. That means first 12 people to get me a car. You can Pay Pal it, mail it, or come by the gun shop tomorrow from noon until 5 and drop it off.

Please look over the format of the race and the technical aspects of the website and please let me know what I need to fix. Thanks.

Also note I am still working on the list of bonus caches. I am going to go get some gun shop work done and update the bonus caches at home during the evening hours over the next few days or weeks. I have time.

I could also use a list of sponsors to contact to try and get some prizes donated.

Groundspeak

Garmin

Magellan

Delorme

Backcountry.com

The guy who makes coins out of Porterville

Let me know who else you can think of. I would really like to make this an all in event that really will put the KCC on the map.

Edited by elrojo14

Elrojo, this sounds so much fun! We can't wait :D

For those of you I didn't have an email for or just stop by the forums on occasion, here is an update and YAHOO! groups invite. If you've received this email in your inbox, you can stop reading here :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Happenings since the 1st Meet & Greet.

I'd say overall it was a fantastic 1st event. We had a lot more people than anticipated and that is a wonderful thing! Thank you to everyone who came, had bugs/coins to be discovered and traded. Just so you know we (Tall Grass Kids) ended up with the golf bag. Thanks Rusty :D The downside was we didn't get a chance to hear from DASK about the CITO event. We decided to hold off on it till we can find a location with a room so it will be easier to make announcements. I am waiting to hear back from Rusty's Pizza on Ming & Ashe. I will post M&G #2 as soon as they confirm for July 11th (so mark that on your calendars). Their rooms are free and we all enjoy free. I would also like to thank everyone who donated raffle items, it is greatly appreciated. We saved some of them for the upcoming meetings.

DASK has posted the event for the upcoming CITO in September. Please check it out: GC1D5FG

ElRojo has also posted the TB Race/Lamp post Run in October: GC1CXWJ

Also, thanks to everyone who submitted Logo Ideas. Hedge won that honor, so feel free to use it when posting new caches, events or in your tag lines to help promote our group. Where do you get a copy? Well we can email it to you or I will have it in the files section of our Yahoo! group to grab at any time. Yes, we have an Official Yahoo! group now. The forums aren't used by very many cachers and this way emails are delievered right to your inbox. No more waiting for geocaching.com to load the site or delayed emails telling you there is a new message in the forum. The link is at the bottom.

Russo's at the Marketplace will have a display soon, with different books, what a cache looks like and even a coin to be discovered. I'll send an email out when that is up and going. I'm also going to put some info about our group and our meetings so people can find us a little easier. Thanks to Squidteeth for helping set this up.

We're really excited about the upcoming months, we hope you are too. If you have ideas, questions, need help, feel free to email us or post it on the Yahoo! group. We're all here to help one another and make this as fun a group as possible.

Alix & Audrey aka Tall Grass Kids

--

Click below to Join the Kern County Geocachers Yahoo! Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kern_County_Geocachers/join

Don't start planting caches until you are fairly experienced. And when you do start planting caches, only plant caches that you would be proud to show your parents. Make them fun and/or interesting. Everyone has found a cache in a bush or under a light pole skirt. Try and keep Kern County a nice place to cache.

What kind of GPS are you using? Also come on over to the Kern County Cachers forum on Facebook.

www.kerncountycachers.com

So did this coin ever get made. I do cache over in Kern County. As a matter of fact Eastern Kern county over in Ridgecest. If you all made this coin and havea few left I would be interested in getting one or two. please email me back

GC1C7D0 ...

Bummed to miss the last one, hoping to catch all the rest. I don't have my calendar before me, so no yay or nay yet - but a big THANK YOU to the grassy ones for heading this up. If life didn't have me by the short hairs just now (ow!) I'd be more involved. Where is that independently-wealthy early retirement I ordered?

We LOVE planning stuff AND it involves Geocaching, how much more fun could we have?! Hope to meet you soon Hedge, sorry to hear you're missing Geowoodstock VI too.

I like the second one with the county behind it. Thanks Tallgrasskids for relighting the fire on the KCC!