winter caching...what to bring

new_dharma

so I just started caching this year and I have a good idea what to bring for the hot days...cool days...days with rain (or possible rain)...but I live in Minnesota...what about COLD days? What about snow? what to wear isn't the issue (i've been winter camping, downhill & cross-country skiing, winter hiking) it's more the GEAR. are we snow-bound (for a good part of the year) states partially exempt from the "Caches that are buried...If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate" because of snow? :)

thanks all

have fun!

Wow.. Sounds like some pretty harsh climate ya got there!

In our neck of the woods, Sonoma County CA, winter gear includes a spare pair of socks, shoes and a wind breaker. Maybe a coat when it's really raining. - No really, I've learned to bring along a towel, a flashlight and a little grabbing tool for pretty much all seasons.

I've been soaked thru on some of my cache outings but we're very fortunate out here that it rarely gets to freezing and snow is a rarity. In fact, I hear more complaints about the weather when it's a mild 95 degrees.

This is a great question though for other areas! I'll be following this thread for a while because we're planning to be in Utah soon and I hear it's gonna be cold!

Z...