Help Me Change …

CoinOnTheCob

Hey, please feel free to contribute to this thread even if it's only to compliment me on the lack of bums mentioned in this thread.

Hi

On the 'My account' page look at the top right hand box ('search options'), third option is update home coords

I wouldn't make them too accurate unless you are Ok with the world knowing where you live to within 50 feet or so!

Reviewers use them to assess maintainability, otherwise it just acts as an origin for the simple search options searches

I picked a spot about 2 miles from my house (the volunteer fire station that covers my home and that my dad is stationed at). I don't want people figuring out where I live.

Others cannot see these coordinates. The only way they will know where you live is if you include them somewhere else in your profile.

Hey, please feel free to contribute to this thread even if it's only to compliment me on the lack of bums mentioned in this thread.

Congratulations on a bum-free thread (so far).

Edited by gnbrotz

I picked a spot about 2 miles from my house (the volunteer fire station that covers my home and that my dad is stationed at). I don't want people figuring out where I live.

I went to the fire station and asked your dad where you are living these days. He gave me your address. He's a real nice guy. I'll be over in the morning for breakfast. See ya!... :)

Bob

unless you are Ok with the world knowing where you live to within 50 feet or so

Nobody, including reviewers, can see those coords. Reviewers see a distance rounded to tenths of a mile and and rough bearing (NE S - not some precise angle) of the home coords, or zip code center entered to the cache submitted.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I understand about home coordinates. But I've got a slight phobia about that sort of stuff, there's many times where people can figure out things that I can't nor can I understand how they can. The point is, I feel more comfortable waypointing a spot close to me but not on my property. It doesn't hurt.

Now, I've relaxed about some of these things over time...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. :)

I understand about home coordinates. But I've got a slight phobia about that sort of stuff, there's many times where people can figure out things that I can't nor can I understand how they can. The point is, I feel more comfortable waypointing a spot close to me but not on my property. It doesn't hurt.

Now, I've relaxed about some of these things over time...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. B)

Well, since you are "smack dab in the middle of WA"

and, "From: Wenatchee, WA"

and, ".....2.5 hours from the Lily pad"

once I've found that danged lily pad, I'll have you triangulated... B)

Now, I've relaxed about some of these things over time...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. :rolleyes:

once I've found that danged lily pad, I'll have you triangulated... :huh:

:D

You forgot that I'm also 2 miles from a fire station. :D

Now, I've relaxed about some of these things over time...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. :D

once I've found that danged lily pad, I'll have you triangulated... :D

:D

You forgot that I'm also 2 miles from a fire station. :)

This sounds like a Puzzle cache. :D

Now, I've relaxed about some of these things over time...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad. :D

once I've found that danged lily pad, I'll have you triangulated... :(

:)

You forgot that I'm also 2 miles from a fire station. :)

This sounds like a Puzzle cache. :D

:(

"Ambrosia Marks the Spot"

Only 4 people found it in under a week? Must be a cacher deprived area.

Around here in Massachusetts a cache will have 10 people the first day and at least 30-40 in the first week.

But perhaps, like me, cachers are avoiding your cache since it's "in your front yard". I hardly ever do caches like that.

I am unconcerned if everyone knows where I live. In fact, the only cache I've ever hidden is in my front yard. I just placed it last Friday and, so far, only four people have signed the log.

Many folks won't go for a cache in someone's yard. I know I'm not comfortable with them and most of the geocachers I know won't go for them either.

However, if the cache is still there next year you may get many finds when GeoWoodstock VI happens on Memorial Day weekend. The Friday night meet-and-greet is being held in Roseville (the event is in Wheatland). Attendance for the event is being projected to be somewhere around 3,000 so that's a pretty big group of potential finders. :(

Edited by Thrak

Since we're on the subject of changing things (or at least that's the way the thread started ) when I enter my postal code to find caches, it seems to place me about 10 kilometers east of where I live. Now I realize that a postal code covers an area, but it ain't that far. Any ideas on why that might be happening or how to correct it?

Edited by twisted22

Since we're on the subject of changing things (or at least that's the way the thread started ) when I enter my postal code to find caches, it seems to place me about 10 kilometers east of where I live. Now I realize that a postal code covers an area, but it ain't that far. Any ideas on why that might be happening or how to correct it?

There have been threads about why a certain spot is picked to be the center of a zip code, but it's been a while so I can't remember the answer. It is odd and confusing sometimes.

I created a cache series in my town that chronicles the oddity of how the gc.com site searches for caches (and where the search centers out). Here it is for my town:

You can search by zip code: 98801

You can search by city (which is something like .4 miles from where the town zip code takes you): Wenatchee City

And in our area, when you search by zip code, the town name that pops up is an obscure area about 2.5 miles from where the zip code and actual town name take you. This other tiny community hasn't been around for 80 years, and even though it's a mile from where my house is, I had never heard of it before geocaching. Appleyard

If you want to search from your home area, the best way is to put in your home (or very near your home) coords.

Edited by Ambrosia

Thanks Ambrosia, that makes sense. I was pretty sure it was some kind of geocaching.com phenomenon. I was just surprised (being a new cacher ) to find out by chance that there was a cache about 200 feet from my door after about three weeks of thinking the closest one was a couple of miles away. I clued in last night when I was looking at the distance and direction to the closest cache and it said it was 2 miles northwest and I know for a fact that it's about three miles due east. Thought I was doing something wrong for a minute. Thanks again ...

Thanks Ambrosia, that makes sense. I was pretty sure it was some kind of geocaching.com phenomenon. I was just surprised (being a new cacher ) to find out by chance that there was a cache about 200 feet from my door after about three weeks of thinking the closest one was a couple of miles away. I clued in last night when I was looking at the distance and direction to the closest cache and it said it was 2 miles northwest and I know for a fact that it's about three miles due east. Thought I was doing something wrong for a minute. Thanks again ...

Because of the zip code issue, I find it's easier to find the closet located to you and always search using that cache as the beginning. Or for that matter, and cache that is nearest to a point that you are looking to cache at, not the zip code. You can also search by address, so you can put yours in and do it that way as well.

Well, since you live in Roseville, CA, I predict you'll have about 5000 visitors next Memorial Day weekend. Looks like your cache is very near many of the hotels that visitors to GeoWoodstock 6 are staying in. And you are the nearest cache to that Friday nights Meet & Greet at Royer Park.

I'll be logging my visit in May. lol

Edited by wandering4cache