Sneak Peak

GeoBlank

I am curious to know what happens behind the scenes as far as approving caches and what reviewers see and use.

Are there screen shots worth posting of magical tools that show 528 feet proximity circles around all the legs of a multi, self checking test cases that pre-approve the cache and does all the work...

Just wondering :D Guess I am board as I sit here ripping video...

There are a few useful tools that they can use. Maps, database access for all hidden waypoints, etc. But the tool that most reviewers use are the Reviewers Cubes. These can quickly and easily tell them if a cache should be approved or not.

dice.jpg

Snake eyes - cache is not approved because of permission issues

All other doubles - cache not approved because of proximity to a "hidden" waypoint

Anything else - cache approved.

I was issued a 528 foot long rope to use to gauge the .1 miles "protected area" radius around a cache.

I do need to get a chainsaw to deal with those pesky trees though.

erik - volunteer cache reviewer

Here's a picture of me checking out a cache for content violations. Sorry, no pix of me with my rope.

Are there screen shots worth posting of magical tools that show 528 feet proximity circles around all the legs of a multi, self checking test cases that pre-approve the cache and does all the work...

At the risk of making Groundspeak mad, I will post this small picture of multi-leg proximity testing. Note the red circle showing problems with close proximity. You can see the reviewer working together here on the problem though. Sometimes we collaborate to work on the problem.

obstacle.jpg

I will take a picture of me reviewing a cache later and post it.

This is what we imagine as we submit a cache...

Jeremy Presenting the queue

war6.jpg

Team Misguided making a case for a cache listed 527 feet away from another - with the F.A.Q. front and center.

norad_350.jpg

Final approval

Lost-Execute.jpg

Edited by GeoBlank

Yes, but to be fair, the coin is two-headed.

And all this time, I thought the reviewers only used the finest software, highest level technology, and could approve a cache only after heated debate and much conferencing on the merits and location. And it all comes down to .........................

a coin flip!!

This is what we imagine as we submit a cache...

Team Misguided making a case for a cache listed 527 feet away from another - with the F.A.Q. front and center.

norad_350.jpg

That's not too far removed from our den of doom where we review caches. That picture does make it seem a bit more roomy. We have 3 computers (sometimes 4 with the laptop) set up in a 6' X 11' room. When we're not sure about a cache we call in the expert, Lil' Lost One, he often makes the final decision. He must really love the word NO because he seems to enjoy being told that often. B)

I get this question all the time from the locals. At an event not too long ago, my husband demonstrated the system I use most often. Each number and color represents an attribute (so to speak), from archival, too close to another cache, vacation cache, publish (not many of those), etc. It works quite well and I've gotten to nearly 50% publish rate even with only a few of those as an option. Must need an alignment. B)

94224529-309b-4a00-be47-2e4811ae1398.jpg

The swag on the table was a game. If you got the cache published you could pick a prize. I ended up carrying most of it home. B)

Quiggle

P.S. I'm allergic to dogs, so puppymonster and I don't share territories.

Edited by Quiggle

I'd love to share review chores with the puppymonster, no doubt his judgment is more cogent than a lot of what I get out of the reviewer forums; where he rarely posts.

In any case, I'm not a tarot user, myself. I tend to review via The I Ching - using coins, naturally, the yarrow stalk technique is just too time consuming for the numbers of caches I'm looking at.

Actually, the OP's picture of Team Misguided is a surprisingly accurate representation of the awesome array of hardware and software put at our disposal by Groundspeak. You'll know when a new reviewer has been appointed in your neighborhood, from the large black trucks and the subsequent brown-outs.

And if you should need to ask for a second opinion, your reviewer can take your issue to the worldwide review team, whose HQ looks like this:

320px-Mission_control_center.jpg

I've been a reviewer for nearly 6 months, but since they have not provided me with a job description yet I spend my time posting useless thoughts in our super secret laboratory.

I had no idea there was something that I was supposed to be doing.

{checking into this 'other activity'}

HOLY CRAP!!! I'm gonna be a little busy since there's a lot in there! If only there was a "Publish All" button.

I just finished reviewing 35 caches. I asked my daughter to capture some "action shots" for this thread.

Here I am, trying to figure out what to do with a PVC Pipe cache placed on the railroad tracks behind a school:

c2dfd388-9173-40da-a71a-b3805b99b8e9.jpg

Ultimately, I decided to archive the cache. But I still haven't figured out how the other volunteers use those "Admin Bricks." What am I doing wrong?

ffabb6f2-3ed5-4d75-b575-40a5abc29eb7.jpg

I get this question all the time from the locals. At an event not too long ago, my husband demonstrated the system I use most often. Each number and color represents an attribute (so to speak), from archival, too close to another cache, vacation cache, publish (not many of those), etc. It works quite well and I've gotten to nearly 50% publish rate even with only a few of those as an option. Must need an alignment. :huh:

The swag on the table was a game. If you got the cache published you could pick a prize. I ended up carrying most of it home. :rolleyes:

Quiggle

P.S. I'm allergic to dogs, so puppymonster and I don't share territories.

<RPG Geek>

:D I always figured that all reviewers were automatically Chaotic-Neutral.

</RPG Geek>

Edited by PAWSitraction

If only there was a "Publish All" button.

Alas, there isn't. But that Archive All button sure is nice.

*edit to add picture of Team Misguided working hard*

tmgworking.jpg

Ahhh! Now I know what currency Team Misguided likes! Next cache submittal, I'll have to overnight a "my little pony" :D

I prefer the clock method myself. If I'm reviewing a cache and the second hand is anywhere between the big hand and the little hand it's bound for the archives. If the second hand is directly over the minute hand I'll flip a coin and if the second hand is over the hours hand I publish.

Anyone know why I keep getting all these nasty emails??

I'd like one of whatever they use to judge distance from the closest cache. I once placed a cache in a park and had all the other caches entered in my GPS. I walked it from the closest to .10 away. Then went a bit farther before actually placing it. The reviewer didn't approve it...said it wasn't .10 away. :mad::D:huh::(

I'd like one of whatever they use to judge distance from the closest cache. I once placed a cache in a park and had all the other caches entered in my GPS. I walked it from the closest to .10 away. Then went a bit farther before actually placing it. The reviewer didn't approve it...said it wasn't .10 away. :mad::huh::(:D

My gift to you, no charge, a completely serious answer...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek

4ccfcf6a-b3b2-411e-8115-aa197f3d18fe.jpg

Just enter your coordinates in the latitude/longitude search box. If there is a nearby cache, it will show. If it is a multicache section or final, it won't. You need to make sure you have found all multicaches in the area. Sometimes that is tough. With the proliferation of puzzles and multicaches, it is getting tougher and tougher to miss them. It is what it is.

I have proposed a new forum moderator kevlar suit design to replace the current kevlar flak jacket that we all wear. I'm liking it. Here is a rough rendering.

0b5dbaa1-87b8-4f98-94ab-affed6b0e1d0.jpg

I was going to test the new suit just now by telling you what I really thought about you, but when I previewed my post I realized the profanity and filth got edited so much it just sounded silly.

So I'll go back to my normal, "Keep up the good work Mtn-man, we love you!" status.