Bikers Amongst you!

fraggle69

Out of interest, how many of you ride a motorbike? I(we as in another cacher) was/were thinking of hosting an event based around those that ride.

Before you say it, anyone who drives a car or any other mode of transport will be more than welcome to come along for the ride. :D

Hi, big response so far. :rolleyes:

Well I do and I'm sure we have exchanged mails on the subject in the past.

My caching activities have been extremely limited over the last few years, but I'll keep an eye out for any bike-orientated event that you come up with.

All the best

Simon

i usually cache by bike, although doing long walking series wearing the gear is not fun in anyway shape or form, however needs must sometimes althugh handy when prickly bushes need investigating i guess.

night caching by bike

663b05e5-8944-4876-b1e6-f29f85491761.jpg

the way it should be

d63f9679-1d8a-44d2-a239-df6beb659038.jpg

caching the way it shouldnt be

2dc0bb31-b45b-4d53-8dbd-c4662043986e.jpg

and doing it on the loan bike when mine is in for a service

50d1a823-fdab-472a-9ec0-e7329634c59a.jpg

I'm a biker of the future on a bike from the past. It's not running yet, and I'll need to pass my test too!

tri31.JPG

Gimme a few years to do it up. I'd love to have it running by the time it is 100 years old (that gives me 22 years to get some money together to restore it!). I wonder how many caches there will be then!?

Out of interest, how many of you ride a motorbike? I(we as in another cacher) was/were thinking of hosting an event based around those that ride.

Before you say it, anyone who drives a car or any other mode of transport will be more than welcome to come along for the ride. :)

Well, not a bike but a 300cc scooter. Had bikes, mostly big ones, all my life, but now I'm old and grey I find the scooter more convenient - it behaves much better than a big bike round London and has loads of space to stash all the kit I have to carry round with me.

It's one of the several ways I go caching - scooter, car, pushbike and boat (and walking, of course). I often visit customers on the scooter, and may call in to a cache or two on the way there or back. The point someone else brought up about all the gear is well made, but with the scooter I can take it off and lock it up on the bike; not so bad. Now the weather is cooler I keep my jacket on, and it has the advantage of being very thornproof.

Rgds, Andy

I have a Bandit but am yet to combine the two. As an earlier poster said, finding caches wearing all the clobber is a headache when trekking across the mire. Based near Newbury so let me know if there's anyone interested in this area.

Edited by yeoman

Badger #2 is a biker, but his Honda VFR is currently 'work in progress' :lol: and his Husky Supermoto tends to only get wheeled out on special occasions.

Besides, going by bike would mean having to leave the little Badgers and the Geodog behind (now there's an idea :) )

Always up for a meet though, especially if there are

a. bikes to oggle at (for Badgers #2, #3 and #4)

b. biker's leathers to oggle at (Badger #1) :lol::P

Hubby is a reluctant cacher and shy of events but a biking event would probably drag him out of his garage. He now rides a Ducati ST2 and I ride pillion so I can admire the countryside and leave the overtaking up to him! (Best not to look anyway!) I was learning to ride his baby Duc (250) but was terrified of dropping it as I don't like to see a grown man cry, so I gave up.

As has been pointed out many times this week by chickenpooooo, we have a German exchange student arriving here on Thursday so I am not allowed out ;) How bad is that, I mean It's not like I can speak sausage or anything like that. I think we're taking him to the druids at the henge on the Saturday though.

On a happier note I've been thinking about the 'biking event' everyones welcome to come too. I am looking around and you all come from all over.

My initial plan was to follow the whole of the Ridgway from Ivanhoe to Avebury, nice twisty roads I believe.

The event itself I had hoped we could use this pub which has camping.

It would be good to have the event on a Saturday, but what Saturday? Is my suggestion a good one or do you have one you think is better, longer or shorter ;)?

Discuss!!!

..........terrified of dropping it as I don't like to see a grown man cry.....
I once read somewhere that there are only three legitimate reasons for a grown man to cry....

1) When the football team he's supported all his life loses the F.A. Cup (or whatever it's called now.)

2) When his canine 'best friend' dies.

3) When Angelina Jolie starts to unbutton her blouse

Back on topic.... I've ridden bikes for most of my adult life, starting with a Matchless G9 in 1962 and finishing with a Honda VF1000 last year, with a dozen or more different makes in between including a highly tuned Norton Café Racer, a Triumph Bonneville (a real one, not the modern junk) a lunatic Laverda Montjuic and an equally lunatic big Kawasaki two stroke triple. Will probably buy another bike in the spring as my employers are re-locating and it makes more sense to commute on a bike than struggle through the traffic in a car.

Before you say it, anyone who drives a car or any other mode of transport will be more than welcome to come along for the ride. :laughing:

Mr BK rides a motorbike, all of us ride pedal cycles.

Interested in principle in an event but this could raise childcare issues for us. Don't count us in, but we'll "watch this space".

We would be more likely to attend a day event within reach of home than a camping weekend further afield with the motorbike.

Interested in principle in an event but this could raise childcare issues for us. Don't count us in, but we'll "watch this space".

We would be more likely to attend a day event within reach of home than a camping weekend further afield with the motorbike.

You could always allow MrBK to ride his bike and you could drive the camping gear and kids :laughing:

You could always allow MrBK to ride his bike and you could drive the camping gear and kids :laughing:

Yeah, then we could bring the pedal bikes as well! :mad:

Edited by BikerKats

You could always allow MrBK to ride his bike and you could drive the camping gear and kids :blink:

Yeah, then we could bring the pedal bikes as well! :P

Ohh yup - a weekend away with bikers...hmmm that will be a rally then. We currently try to do this, if we go away to a bike rally try to combine a cache as well :ph34r:

Put us down for it , particulary one that involves byways as well. Been looking into creating something like this for the Peak Trails... assuming that nimbys don't get more roads closed. :blink:

I went greenlane caching the other day and heard a BANG, I didn't think anything of it at the time, and can only think this is what I picked up I thought I'd just hit a rock off the sump, ofcourse I didn't bother to check. You can't see from the photo but I've ground off part of it whilst going round corners, I thought handling was a little strange. I think I picked it up on the Friday and I only noticed it this evening. How could I not notice such a thing, I even worked on the bike at the weekend and didn't notice it lol.

:anicute:

Do the odd cache on the bike if they are drive by or close to a road.

The most recent is today after the Huddersfield MAGs winter camping weekend in Dent.

It was the Waterfall cache just up the road from Dent ,needed to get rid of a coin i'd had for a while

DSCN0143.jpg

Ok I need some help looking for a suitable venue. I was hoping for a pub/camping type setup in either of the following counties.

Derbyshire

Northamptonshire

Worcestershire

Leicestershire

I've chosen these counties to open up the event to as wide a comunity as possible. Once I've found a venue, I'll be looking for local cachers to help us set this thing up. I'll also be after best biking routes, hopefully we can share these electronic routes from the cache page when things start warming up a bit. I'd like to suggest the month of April or May for the event to take place - Please discuss......

PS great photos guys

ba30013c-1446-4e36-84af-1e3a25e2944f.jpg

Edited by fraggle69

Ok I need some help looking for a suitable venue. I was hoping for a pub/camping type setup in either of the following counties.

Derbyshire

Northamptonshire

Worcestershire

Leicestershire

I have had a chat with a biker mate who suggests the following if you are thinking of Worcestershire:

www.thefruiterersarms.co.uk

It not far from Worcester & the M5.....

Or alternatively try Pershore Rugby Club (01386 554105) or similar, I'm sure they are all looking for the trade!

Hope this helps, if I can be of further assistance drop me an email via gc.com.

Good luck with it,

H

If you're looking at a camping event, it might be best to check out the list of proposed camping events for next year so that you don't clash with them... they're in the pinned topics somewhere!

Thanks H, some words of wisdom there. So far I don't think the proposed dates of end of April, start of May clash too much with anything else kicking off around the country. I think we're gonna have to move quick to book our slot lol.

I was hoping to meet with another cacher tonight to discuss the ins and outs and wheres of the event, but rest assured we'll have something published before the New Year, in one form or another......

It's always more entertaining when it's someone elses bike :D

Here's a couple of links I'd like you all to check out, it's my initial thoughts as to where the event may take place.

Photo walk through

video link

Even if it meant riding 20 or so minutes from the campsite, it would be one hell of a bash :laughing: There's plenty of irresponsible youtube stuff to feast your eyes upon. Could be a 5/5 event :(

Edited by fraggle69

Rev up and Ride out 2008 GC17XZ7 UNDER REVIEW

I've listened to everyones input and top suggestions and ignored every single one of them, well not entirely all of them.

It won't make everyone happy, people will likely not come because it's on the bank holiday weekend from 02/05/2008 - 05/05/2008 has sheep, coppers and stupid people. People will cry off because it's too dangerous.

Camping arrangements are still under negotiation - The plan is to have a charging point for your gadgets, a BBQ on the Saturday evening and the rest is TBD. As with most events there will be new caches going live near the campsite and along the A537.... Motorcycle Friendly ofcourse..

Don't be surprised if you hear the word MEGA event, I've decided to give it some publicity because I think a ride out to Harrogate would be ace in 2008. :D

I look forward to seeing the braver cacher at this 5/5 event :D

Got myself a nice little Honda ST1100 Pan European, try to get out on it most days even in the snow, trouble is can't get Mrs Fish and the Fishletts onto it so tend to use the car for caching. The biker meet sounds good. I'll have to try and convince Mrs F to drive down with the camping equipt. Hey ho got a couple of months to work on it.