Mountain Loop Highway

Lizzy

I was reading Weightman's post on the HOTM thread for yesterday. I'm putting the link here in case anyone's interested Forest Service Announcement.

New virgin territory for caches again - or -some that were archived on the closed part can be re-enabled. And I have a ton of ammo cans to hide...yay!

I thought about starting a new thread on this, but didn't get around to it. Thanks for doing that. This is good news for cachers (and anybody else in the area).

Thanks for posting this as I have only been living in WA for less than two years and had never heard of this untill now. Is this road paved or are we talking about gravel?...I prefer gravel, or even better, dirt.

The part I have been on is asphalt.

I've driven the loop a couple of times, but it's been at least 5-6 years ago. If it's like it used to be, it's paved except for 14 miles of gravel between Barlowe Pass & about 7 miles south of Darrington.

Here's a link to today's Herald article: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20071026/...058/-1/rssmsnbc

Cache Ahead and I will be making the grand tour tomorrow (Saturday), as well. Not sure if we'll be hiding, but we'll be finding. Too bad we won't be able to check out some of the simultaneous new placements, but maybe we'll see some of you along the way. Sigh, I guess we'll just have to make another trip later. Such a hardship. :) We also hope to hit Heather Lake (resolve that long-ago DNF) and maybe the Ice Caves.

The Barlow Pass section has been closed the entire time I've lived up here, so I've never traveled the "loop." But Cache Ahead, who lives in Granite Falls, has been pining for it to reopen for years, so I know she's excited.

Edited by hydnsek

Cache Ahead and I will be making the grand tour tomorrow (Saturday), as well. Not sure if we'll be hiding, but we'll be finding. Too bad we won't be able to check out some of the simultaneous new placements, but maybe we'll see some of you along the way. Sigh, I guess we'll just have to make another trip later. Such a hardship. :D We also hope to hit Heather Lake (resolve that long-ago DNF) and maybe the Ice Caves.

The Barlow Pass section has been closed the entire time I've lived up here, so I've never traveled the "loop." But Cache Ahead, who lives in Granite Falls, has been pining for it to reopen for years, so I know she's excited.

Last I heard there was a bridge out leading to the Ice Caves and you couldn't get in. You might want to check with the Verlot Ranger Station.

You can get to the ice caves as long as you don't mind crossing a log bridge. I found the bridge scary but my kids hopped along it like there was no problem. Of course I am balance challenged and just walking along centennial trail poses a multitude of risks.

My dad and I went up to the construction site last august, just to look at what they were doing. The re routed the river and road a bit, so there is no longer a bridge just road along the bank.

The mountain loop is pavement and gravel. With a whole bunch of dirt logging roads intersecting it. It starts out paved but the majority of it is gravel. They keep it in great shape. When I went with my dad exploring it I drove my family car on it and had no problems.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

I couldn't help myself! The excitement was too much, so I talked my husband into it & all 3 of us headed out to do the loop late this afternoon. There's quite a few pot holes just past Barlowe point, and some of the repaired sections are little more than one lane, but it was all good! The repaired areas made for some interesting driving - not much above the river - My thoughts are these won't last through even minor flood events. Fall colors were awesome.

I spoke with one of the road grader crews while we were stopped at White Chuck. Originally they weren't going to open the highway until the 30th, but TPTB opened it early. They are still in process of grading the road, so watch out - kinda hard to pass a grader with a 12 foot blade on some of those skinny sections. He said he counted over 300 cars come through today. I think tomorrow will be a busy one.

Oh, and we came home 1 ammo can lighter :D

I couldn't help myself! The excitement was too much, so I talked my husband into it & all 3 of us headed out to do the loop late this afternoon. There's quite a few pot holes just past Barlowe point, and some of the repaired sections are little more than one lane, but it was all good! The repaired areas made for some interesting driving - not much above the river - My thoughts are these won't last through even minor flood events. Fall colors were awesome.

I spoke with one of the road grader crews while we were stopped at White Chuck. Originally they weren't going to open the highway until the 30th, but TPTB opened it early. They are still in process of grading the road, so watch out - kinda hard to pass a grader with a 12 foot blade on some of those skinny sections. He said he counted over 300 cars come through today. I think tomorrow will be a busy one.

You are killing me, Lizzy.

And although I'm sorry for Barnabirdy(s) this opening couldn't have come at a better time for us-you see we planted another THE cache last month and only got the page ready this week. I put it in the hopper tonight but since its been so long I really feel we ought to check on the precious pot of joy. (lost creek ridge anyone?)

You are killing me, Lizzy.

And although I'm sorry for Barnabirdy(s) this opening couldn't have come at a better time for us-you see we planted another THE cache last month and only got the page ready this week. I put it in the hopper tonight but since its been so long I really feel we ought to check on the precious pot of joy. (lost creek ridge anyone?)

You're killing ME, Sassy. FIVE copies of the same posting?! :rolleyes:

And, there are unpublished caches hiding out there that we won't get to sniff out on Saturday? *sob*

Well, at least give a wave if ya see the 'hydnsek' cachemobile.

I'm not sure I heard that right, Sassy. Can you say it again? :)

Oh you girls might think that's funny, but I'm totally blaming it on my stoopid phone. I was too lazy to actually log on through the computer and it was the first time I used my blackberry to post to the forums. As soon as I hit submit the page blanked out on me (guess how many times??) I better go fix that. :lol:

Yup, that Sass is deadly with a Blackberry! :lol:

We took off out Mountain Loop way and were delighted to do so -- finally!! But the crowds . . . OMG!! Speeding, mud bogging, hunting, litterin' . . . good grief!! We had a good time out there, but we're looking forward to it maybe quieting down.

We also wonder how long that road will last . . . will the river win yet again?

. . . and we also came back sans a Lock & Lock. :)

Nice to look at the Google map now & see a run of caches all the way around. This morning was exciting with all the "published" listings coming through - THANKS REVIEWERS!!! Just had to put in a shameless plug for my bookmark list: Mountain Loop Highway

If any more get published today, I'll have to add to it tomorrow. Out the door for some island caching (and wishing I had made different plans to do the loop again today).

Nice to look at the Google map now & see a run of caches all the way around. This morning was exciting with all the "published" listings coming through - THANKS REVIEWERS!!! Just had to put in a shameless plug for my bookmark list: Mountain Loop Highway

If any more get published today, I'll have to add to it tomorrow. Out the door for some island caching (and wishing I had made different plans to do the loop again today).

Cache Ahead, Marcus Arelius, and I had a great time up there yesterday. We didn't see any of you, but we did avoid most of the crowds (not all) by spending part of the day at Heather Lake and the Ice Caves. By the time we picked up a few other caches, we wound up doing the 'new' part of the Loop at sunset, and finished up in the dark. The dark, clear skies with all the stars and then rising moon were awesome!

Now that the new caches are published, we'll have to make a return trip in the daylight. :)

Anybody up for helping some newbies? :D My boyfriends mom lives on the Lp and we'd love to get up there again, maybe hit the Ice Caves, back up to Lake Kelsama, and find some caches, but we're without a GPS. If someone would be willing to go caching with us (or, take us caching really) let me know!

well.. except maybe this:

Mt. Loop Rd 2000 is gated closed at Deer Creek 12.3 miles east of the Verlot Public Service Center. Be advised that snow levels can change quickly and that avalanche danger can change quickly. Be prepared for winter weather conditions.

Access to the Deer Creek parking area is at times limited. There is approximately 5 feet of snow currently along the shoulders.

Expect quite a while for mtn loop to reopen, I've been snowshoieng up there quite a bit, and from Dick's Creek where the snowplow stops it very quickly goes to 5 feet of snow on the road.

Going to the gate at monte cristo MAY be open by May, but the road all the way through will be a bit longer.