Why isn't my PQ showing all the caches?

reverse

I've been using Pocket Queries for a while but it seems to be leaving a lot of the caches out. When I map an area, it shows more than what is in my PQ for that area. When I'm requesting one I usually do traditionals and only check caches I haven't found. Is anyone else experiencing this? What am I doing wrong?

Since you are in such a cache rich area, how many caches are you getting in your PQ? Even with a 10 miles radius, you should be getting your 500 limit.

Yeah, I love it :) . It seems that when I go back to the map it shows me more that were right next to the other that I went to though. It would be nice to make a clean sweep and save a little gas.

(ie) I just went down I-5 to southern Washington and I found out when I got back that there twice as many on that route than I had in my PQ.

I just want to know what I need to select, or not select to achieve this.

I just want to know what I need to select, or not select to achieve this

Design your query. Don't select a day for it to run. Preview it. If it returns 500 caches, but is the area you want, then use the date placed option. Ask to see caches placed between Jan 2000 and Jan 2005. If that's under 500, push the date out further. Fiddle with the dates until you're generating queries for the area that are under 500 caches.

"Add to queue" facility

I assume you're referring to the "my finds" query? It may not show your most recent finds especially if they're very recent - within 24 to 48 hours of running that query.

No I think that is the term for selecting a date to run and the PQ generator actually scheduling it to run (if today is the selected day).

I.E. If you design a PQ today, preview it, as one should always do anyway. But then select it to run on Friday 3 days from now, it will get in the PQ queue sometime on Friday and you will see a bolded date and time next to that PQ, unless you also select to delete the PQ when run, why would anyone do that?

In other words, a likely cause for the spotty cache coverage you observed is that your query parameters returned more than 500 caches. Either select a narrower radius or split the desired radius into multiple queries.

Or more than the limit selected in the query. If they selected 100 as the limit - then 100 is all they will get.

My PQs are not working at all. =(

How about a little more info?

Nothing in preview?

Not being received?

or

?

Well, I got all excited about my new membership.

So I wiped out my geocaches on my GPS, and sat down to make a pocket query and get all hooked up with the new goodies.

Set up the query

Previewed it

Everything looked great

I queued it, and then, poof. It said none were there, and sent me an empty gpx file =(

I tried it several different ways with the same results. The last one was a smaller radius (of 25 miles) from a zip code and 500 caches. It still doesn't pick 'em all up.

If you leave off the radius, and just set your query from the zipcode, you should get the 500 caches closest to the center of the zipcode. Try it with just the center point and no radius specified.

If you leave off the radius, and just set your query from the zipcode, you should get the 500 caches closest to the center of the zip code. Try it with just the center point and no radius specified.

It doesn't give you the option to leave it off. Maybe I'll try ten miles.

If you leave off the radius, and just set your query from the zipcode, you should get the 500 caches closest to the center of the zip code. Try it with just the center point and no radius specified.

It doesn't give you the option to leave it off. Maybe I'll try ten miles.

I just looked again and you're right, it defaults to 100 mi. I never change that. I set up my PQs usually from a zipcode or central cache. I always get the nearest to that center point. I don't know why you wouldn't.

Edited by FamilyDNA

If you're using a geographical boundary, like "state" the PQ clips off the newest caches if the results are more than the requested maximum number of caches.

From this thread:

If there is an origin, the farthest ones disappear. If it's for a political boundary (like a state), the newest ones drop off. If it's for a route, it's the furthest ones from the route, I believe.

The stricken part is due to some subsequent testing that lead to this lengthy post on truncated results from a route query.

I am also having problems with my PQ results. I have tried different variables and none seem to work like they should. I run a PQ with 20 cache sites, and I get back 3. If I run 100 cache sites, I get back 23. I know there are more than this many cache sites, and there is one specific cache site I want to show up, but it never does. My settings are below

20 caches

Traditional and Unknown types

Any container

That I haven't found (if I add "and I don't own" I get no results)

Terrains are unchecked (tried and made no difference)

Within not selected

From Waypoint Name GCPPK5 (no difference with Home, Postal code, and by coordinates)

Within 30 miles (tried 100 and no difference)

Place during none selected (no difference with 2000-2007)

Attributes to include, all selected

Attributes to exclude, none selected

Formate GPX file

If someone can maybe test this and see what they get, it might be helpful. Preview does work, but again, the results aren't what they should be. I have also waited to receive the actual gpx email and I do get it. However it is the same results as the preview.

This is how I set up one of the sections of my PQs.

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

I now also check the box for "Are not on my Ignore List" as well.

Because this area is so "cache-rich," I use the "Date Placed" option to get all the caches within a 50-mile radius. For this area, it took seven PQs, of close to 500 caches in each PQ, to get all of the caches.

I've never had a problem with those settings. All seven "Date Placed" PQs are from the same coordinates that I typed in. For some people, there has been a problem using the "Home Coordinates" option.

I use GSAK to manage all that data.

I think this might be the problem. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that this was in the form of an AND statement; i.e., selecting all the attributes would give you only caches that have all those attributes. Since it would be highly unusual to find any one cache that has all the attributes checked, you wind up with zero results.

--Larry

I think this might be the problem. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that this was in the form of an AND statement; i.e., selecting all the attributes would give you only caches that have all those attributes. Since it would be highly unusual to find any one cache that has all the attributes checked, you wind up with zero results.

--Larry

Thanks all for the help. After messing with it some more, I figured out how I can get it to work. The problem seemed to be in the Cache type selection. Before, I chose both Traditional and Unknown cache types to find.

So I narrowed the selections down into 4 seperate PQ's. Traditional for members, Traditional for all, Unknown for members, and Unknown for all. I checked the preview on these and they all came up with the full 20. So the system must have a difficult time trying to find more than one cache type at a time :) . Thanks again.

Selecting to include all attribute is creating the problem. No cache can have all the attributes set since there is a limit of 10 (I think) per cache.

Without the attributes, a 100 cache PQ based on your criteria gives 100 caches within 4.4 km.

With all attributes set, the PQ still says 100 caches but there are only 3 on page 1. The other 4 pages have 4, 4, 4 and 5 caches.

In my PQs, I get all the cache types, EXCEPT for the Unknowns. Those come in their own PQ and are put into their own database in GSAK. I don't want to accidentally get an Unknown cache into my Default database, from which I send the waypoints to my GPSr. The Unknowns get moved to the Default database only after I have "Corrected Coordinates."