[NEW GEOCOIN] Wonderful Discoveries

Team JSAM

My wife Stephanie finally decided to take a shot at making a coin and teamed up with the oh so talented Paula to come up with her first geocoin design. I for one am pretty proud of her and am very excited to see the coins first hand. The coin idea came about from the wonderful things that you often discover while searching for a geocache. I am sure that most of you can relate to searching for a cache and stumbling upon something in nature that distracted you from your initial intent. For now we are just showing the back of the coin but it will feature soft enamel, translucent enamel and some stratigically placed epoxy.

If you would like to be notified when pre sales open please join our <commercial link removed by moderator>

discteaser.jpg

Pre sales should start in a few days we have a few more small changes to make and it will be ready. Thanks again to Paula for putting up with all the changes over the past several months..... :(

So what do you think?

Edited by Eartha

If you want to be the first to be notified then sign up for our news letter and you will receive an email notification when the coins are for sale. The LE will be in fall colors and only available for a few days.

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

That is a very nice design and I'm sure you will do very well with it. It is very reminiscent of one designed by Chris Mackey and sold by the Geocoinstore last year. That coin sold out fairly quickly and there was a second run of them.

FTFbronze.jpg

I see the back now, thanks for posting it, but now I want one. I just went in to buy one, but I couldn't find it, when can we expect it. I guess I was thinking if the back was finished I could get one now.

That is a very nice design and I'm sure you will do very well with it. It is very reminiscent of one designed by Chris Mackey and sold by the Geocoinstore last year. That coin sold out fairly quickly and there was a second run of them.

FTFbronze.jpg

I see the back now, thanks for posting it, but now I want one. I just went in to buy one, but I couldn't find it, when can we expect it. I guess I was thinking if the back was finished I could get one now.

This isn't the back and they are not for sale yet. Design isn't even done. I would sign up for his news letter:

If you want to be the first to be notified then sign up for our news letter and you will receive an email notification when the coins are for sale. The LE will be in fall colors and only available for a few days.

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

FTFbronze.jpg

The picture I posted is of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT coin. I posted this picture to show that this coin has been done before. The coin in the picture I posted was designed by Chris Mackey and sold in the geocoinstore.com. If you go to their site you can see both sides of the coin that Mackey designed in the sold out section. FTF Coin

The coin artwork shown at the beginning of this thread is so similar that when I posted the FTF coin that people seemed to think it was the coin in this thread so I guess its not just my own eyes playing tricks on me.

The picture I posted is of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT coin. I posted this picture to show that this coin has been done before. The coin in the picture I posted was designed by Chris Mackey and sold in the geocoinstore.com. If you go to their site you can see both sides of the coin that Mackey designed in the sold out section. FTF Coin

The coin artwork shown at the beginning of this thread is so similar that when I posted the FTF coin that people seemed to think it was the coin in this thread so I guess its not just my own eyes playing tricks on me.

The difference is, this coin will use different layers and translucents - when the coin is finished, they will look nothing alike. I personally dont see a huge similarity other than leaves and the subject of an eye.

Again, when the textures and translucents are in place... it will be a little harder to see a similarity. :)

The other side will also tie into the back, and REALLY give everyone an 'Aha!' moment.

I personally dont see a huge similarity other than leaves and the subject of an eye.

I believe you just proved LadyBee4t's point. The idea is copied, not the design. :)

And let's not forget that both coins show someone looking at a cache. The containers may be different but both designs show eyes looking through leaves at a cache. Regardless of what the other side looks like or what any of the artistic elements will be, the ideas are exactly the same. Ay, there's the rub.

I guess we don't have to worry about missing out on a coin design because eventually it will make its way back onto another coin.

I personally dont see a huge similarity other than leaves and the subject of an eye.

I believe you just proved LadyBee4t's point. The idea is copied, not the design. :)

The design/concept is not original. One eye looking through leaves versus two eyes looking through leaves. Both looking at a cache container--one is a bison tube the other is an ammo can. People who posted after I posted that picture thought it was of the coin at the top of the thread which makes my point completely. No matter how many different translucents, textures, etc you put on it, this side is still copied. There is a saying that goes something like this "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I guess Mackey should feel pretty good!

Hey.. I find the concept different, but lets please remember that as artists, we design exactly what we are asked to design. :)

I took what Team Jsam presented to me as an excellent concept -actually, a basically finalized design, and put some twists on it. But... I can only say so much. :)

On some coins, we are given free reign, and on others we do what we are told. There isn't too many ways to illustrate someone looking through an object, or objects - but again, I think when the other side is shown, there should be some different thoughts on this coin.

Why not just sit back, and give the concept a chance... If I pointed out every coin that had similarities, Id be up to 2000 posts by now. :D

I feel for Team Jsam - they just wanted to share a new coin created from their own ideas, and its turning into a debate on concepts. I guess I see the whole issue differently as I simply did the design on the coin, and incorportated the elements that were asked for - as I was asked to do... but I can honestly say the other coin didn't even pop into my head. Not when I did the art, or when the concept was presented to me.

I just see the final coin as an entirely different look, concept, and idea... so, perhaps my POV is a little biased.

To call it a copy is IMO offensive to both myself, and Team Jsam. No one saw or intended a copy of another coin, and I still say that when the coin is complete - any inferred similarities will only be in the fact that there is an eye present on both coins. :)

Oh well..

I'll remove myself from this debate at this point - since it seems kind of silly. Theres lots of Butterfly coins, several FTF coins, GPS coins, etc... etc.. etc.. But, pointing out the similarities in them all would accomplish little.

Hey.. I find the concept different, but lets please remember that as artists, we design exactly what we are asked to design. :)

I took what Team Jsam presented to me as an excellent concept -actually, a basically finalized design, and put some twists on it. But... I can only say so much. :)

On some coins, we are given free reign, and on others we do what we are told. There isn't too many ways to illustrate someone looking through an object, or objects - but again, I think when the other side is shown, there should be some different thoughts on this coin.

Why not just sit back, and give the concept a chance... If I pointed out every coin that had similarities, Id be up to 2000 posts by now. :D

I feel for Team Jsam - they just wanted to share a new coin created from their own ideas, and its turning into a debate on concepts. I guess I see the whole issue differently as I simply did the design on the coin, and incorportated the elements that were asked for - as I was asked to do... but I can honestly say the other coin didn't even pop into my head. Not when I did the art, or when the concept was presented to me.

I just see the final coin as an entirely different look, concept, and idea... so, perhaps my POV is a little biased.

To call it a copy is IMO offensive to both myself, and Team Jsam. No one saw or intended a copy of another coin, and I still say that when the coin is complete - any inferred similarities will only be in the fact that there is an eye present on both coins. :D

Oh well..

I'll remove myself from this debate at this point - since it seems kind of silly. Theres lots of Butterfly coins, several FTF coins, GPS coins, etc... etc.. etc.. But, pointing out the similarities in them all would accomplish little.

Good idea, people like this can't see most everything resembles something else. They will argue if there is nothing to argue about, if for no other reason but to play there game... posting something on forums. You go ahead and make that coin, I want one no matter what. :)

I am one of those folks who have a hard time taking criticism, it scares me away. I just hope that JSAM isn't like me!

Paula, keep on keeping on, your work is beautiful, and sometimes you're just dammned if you do and dammned if you don't....

I, too, see the similarities, but would rather withhold judgement until I see the rest of the coin. It looks like it's going to be very vivid in coloring, and I LOVE the green eye!

Good luck... and ya'll... be nice to me when I showcase my first coin, I'm thinskinned :)

Yes, Chris Mackey’s coin has leaves and eye's but my wife’s coin has a whole different idea and the funny thing is she never visits the forums or see very many coins. She has only seen about 1/2 the coins in my collection and this is not one of them. Mackey's coin is about the FTF and the numbers; my wife's is about what you find while looking for the cache. The other side of Mackey’s coin is 100% different than my wife’s coin. Yes both coins have an eye a cache and some leaves but the message is different completely! I don’t want to debate about this anymore but I can assure you there was no copying being done here just because a coin has some of the same items I would call it far from a copy.

As Paula said once we are finished with the whole coin they will nothing alike nor have the same message.

I don’t want to turn this into a debate so I will post no more about this issue, just sit back and wait to see the other side before you make claims about someone copying a coin they have never seen before.

Edited by Team Jsam

The design/concept is not original. One eye looking through leaves versus two eyes looking through leaves. Both looking at a cache container--one is a bison tube the other is an ammo can. People who posted after I posted that picture thought it was of the coin at the top of the thread which makes my point completely. No matter how many different translucents, textures, etc you put on it, this side is still copied. There is a saying that goes something like this "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I guess Mackey should feel pretty good!

I find it hard to believe that if you knew me (Stephanie) you'd even think about attacking my character in such a way, this coin took me months to come up with (FROM SCRATCH) and SEVERAL emails to Paula to get it right. I honestly don't get on here and this is actually my first post on anything in here. This is just hideous in every way possible to accuse someone who you have never met of something as ridiculous as you can see and will see after the rest is revealed that his is nothing like my coin. The thing that sparked my idea was exactly as described in the initial paragraph and my love of nature. I don't cache for the stuff in the can, I cache for the opportunity to enjoy every little bit of this earth and tried to share that with everyone in my art for this coin. Thanks everyone else for your comments and I hope you are excited to see the rest :) Steph

Edited by Team Jsam

I guess I will go back to my original post

I thought then and I still think that this coin will do well and will sell out. I basically pointed out that the idea on this side of the coin as portrayed in the artwork shown is very, very, very similar to Chris Mackey's design that came out a year ago.

People who posted after I posted that picture thought it was of the coin at the top of the thread which makes my point completely.

Good idea, people like this can't see most everything resembles something else. They will argue if there is nothing to argue about, if for no other reason but to play there game... posting something on forums. You go ahead and make that coin, I want one no matter what. :)

I don't post just to post if that is what you are referring to. I am simply pointing out a fact--the similar ideas on this one side of the coin. This coin will be made and it will be snapped up just as the original one was a year ago.

I don’t want to turn this into a debate so I will post no more about this issue, just sit back and wait to see the other side before you make claims about someone copying a coin they have never seen before.

How were we in the forums supposed to know that neither you nor the designer of this coin had never seen Chris' coin? I do find it hard to believe that a collector and minter and designer for the geocoinstore were not aware at all of the similiarities in the two coins.

I find it hard to believe that if you knew me (Stephanie) you'd even think about attacking my character in such a way, this coin took me months to come up with (FROM SCRATCH) and SEVERAL emails to Paula to get it right. I honestly don't get on here and this is actually my first post on anything in here. This is just hideous in every way possible to accuse someone who you have never met of something as ridiculous as you can see and will see after the rest is revealed that his is nothing like my coin. The thing that sparked my idea was exactly as described in the initial paragraph and my love of nature. I don't cache for the stuff in the can, I cache for the opportunity to enjoy every little bit of this earth and tried to share that with everyone in my art for this coin. Thanks everyone else for your comments and I hope you are excited to see the rest :) Steph

I am stating what I believe which is that the idea behind this side of the coin has already been done. In your final version you want to get across a different concept than the FTF in your wording and the use of the other side. I would expect that the other side would be completely different than the coin I posted the picture of. I completely understand that but the artwork of this side still is very similiar so much so that at least one cacher in this thread went to find the coin in the picture I posted thinking it was yours.

When artwork is posted here in the forums you have to expect that there will be comments on it--some that you don't want to hear. I don't think that you wanted to hear that someone had already thought of your idea for this side of the coin at least. The overall concept, treatment and message of your coin will and should be different but I can only comment on what we have been shown so far.

Wow, listen to this, let me try and explain to LadyBee4T what the rest of us see clearly. A tire is a tire is a tire, there all round, made of rubber and hold up cars. If you come up with a tread design similar to another one, BUT DIFFERENT, does that mean your copying? of course not! Get over it all ready :)

I for one am very excited to have one of these unique coins. :) Thanks for putting forth the effort to make such a beautiful thing, which will inevitably enrich this game for all of us each time it is passed along! :)

Edited by Hobo2

Wow, listen to this, let me try and explain to LadyBee4T what the rest of us see clearly. A tire is a tire is a tire, there all round, made of rubber and hold up cars. If you come up with a tread design similar to another one, BUT DIFFERENT, does that mean your copying? of course not! Get over it all ready :)

I for one am very excited to have one of these unique coins. :) Thanks for putting forth the effort to make such a beautiful thing, which will inevitably enrich this game for all of us each time it is passed along! :)

The very last line of the first post, Team Jsam asks "What do you think?"

LadyB4T has as much right to say what she thinks as you do.

I personally can't wait to see this coin! I know that while we've been out caching, we've come across some of the most awesome sites, things, and feelings! I wouldn't trade any of this for all the coins in the world! I think this is what this coin will represent!

What it all boils down to, is what we get from viewing our world a little bit differently than the next person. I see a waterfall, you see a creek with a slight drop in to rocks making some ripples! I see a snake hiding under the brush, and I watch him from a safe distance to see if he's aware of me. You scare him away so you can get on to the cache. Different people, different views.

This coin is different, that coin is different. But we're all cachers, and we all love the coins, or we wouldn't bust our butts making the money to buy them!! Let's sit back and wait to see just what comes from this coin. Like it, consider buying it. Love it, definitely buy it. Don't like it, or you think it's too close to something else, don't buy it! Just that simple!

As for me, I'm waiting!!!!!!!!! B)

I think it's funny that you'd ask for comments and then get beefed because someone commented! The front DOES have similarities. I also thought when I first saw the back that I had seen something very similar either coming out or already out.

These are MY opinions and not attacks against those who designed the coin (but you can take it as you wish). I won't be buying (can't), but would expect the coin to do well. I'm not putting anyone down, nor do I think LB4T was although some of you instantly got all upset. Is it getting so that an honest opinion is now an attack?

The "enrichment" of our "sport"....ok....don't MOST coins??

edit for spelling...as usual

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Opinions are one thing...but to insinuate that this idea was lifted from another coin is just insulting, and that's the impression I got from some of the previous posts. Looking at the two of them side by side I don't see how you could mistake one for the other. It's the composition of the coin which makes it unique..not the subject matter. I like this coin and I'll be buying it.

I am one of those folks who have a hard time taking criticism, it scares me away. I just hope that JSAM isn't like me!

Paula, keep on keeping on, your work is beautiful, and sometimes you're just dammned if you do and dammned if you don't....

I, too, see the similarities, but would rather withhold judgement until I see the rest of the coin. It looks like it's going to be very vivid in coloring, and I LOVE the green eye!

Good luck... and ya'll... be nice to me when I showcase my first coin, I'm thinskinned :blink:

Wow, Mousekakat! I ditto that!

IMHO, I actually wonder how much stuff is truly original. Thanks to the internet, you can find something similar of everything! There have been many times when I have thought of a design or an idea and I googled it and sure enough, they have already been thought of-even though I thought they were original!

I like both designs and I definitely feel there's room for both coins. I own the first design and I would be interested in owning the second design, too!

Opinions are one thing...but to insinuate that this idea was lifted from another coin is just insulting, and that's the impression I got from some of the previous posts. Looking at the two of them side by side I don't see how you could mistake one for the other. It's the composition of the coin which makes it unique..not the subject matter. I like this coin and I'll be buying it.

I agree. I ADORE Chris Mackey's FTF coins, have a couple in my collection. But when I saw this one come up, the similarity to the eyes in the FTF coin never entered my mind. (Actually, I forgot the FTF coin had eyes, because they are so subtle.) I was only wishing the eye in this one was blue, like my kids' eyes! :blink: And the back (thank goodness it's finally been revealed) is wonderful. It's the whole reason I take my kids caching!

LOVE the design and the message!

How did I miss this before?! Glad it's not too late! Great design.

Clicked on the link to the other coin, looked at it and decided the wrong one must have been linked...went to the "sold out" section and looked around but couldn't find anything that looked like this one so I went back, and looked closer..ohh, yeah I guess there are eyes! Seems to be about the only similarity. Part of the concept is the same, but they're pretty different coins.

I was only wishing the eye in this one was blue, like my kids' eyes! :blink: And the back (thank goodness it's finally been revealed) is wonderful. It's the whole reason I take my kids caching!

LOVE the design and the message!

The coin will have three different eye colors aval. Green, Blue and Brown....

Jake

Edited by Team Jsam