Loading information to my Palm

Royalott

Someone told me a while back but now that I am ready to do it I can not remember what I need to do it. I have a Palm Tx and want to load the cache information on it. Can anyone help?

I see where there are a number of programs that will do this but which is the best and easiest?

Edited by Royalott

Cachemate works well on my Palm Tungsten E. GSAK (another program) will convert everything to a .pdb file and send it to the device. There is also a program that will let you send info from the palm back to GSAK.

The registration fee on both cachemate and GSAK are reasonable.

Most all info on using both has been covered here in the forums.

Good luck.

Someone told me a while back but now that I am ready to do it I can not remember what I need to do it. I have a Palm Tx and want to load the cache information on it. Can anyone help?

I see where there are a number of programs that will do this but which is the best and easiest?

That's a matter of opinion. Cachemate is used by a ton of folks. I looked at it and I don't care for it nearly as much as I do the Spinner/Plucker combination. Cachemate puts all the cache info onto the Palm and has a great "notes" area and such. However, I don't take notes on my Palm and I don't like having to change from page to page to find the cache info. I use GPX Spinner to manipulate the info in my Pocket Querys (I just drop the PQ file onto the Spinner icon) and then I use Plucker to send the data to the Palm and to view it on the Palm. What that gives me is the exact same page on my Palm that I see on the geocaching.com web site. I love it. When I pull up the cache on the Palm it's like I'm looking at the cache page online and includes the last 5 logs as well as the hint. The hint is encrypted but I simply have to tap it with the stylus if I want to decrypt and read it.

I understand why a lot of folks like Cachemate - you can send the Palm .pdb file directly from GSAK which is great. I just don't like the interface and the way I have to fiddle with the stuff after it's been sent to the Palm.

My advice is to try both methods and see which one YOU prefer. They are both free to try. Get GSAK and try that for free as well if you haven't already done so.

Cybret has some great info on paperless caching using GPX Spinner and Plucker located on the Geocaching University site.

Edited by Thrak

I use cachemate with my T|X and load up a fresh .pdb database every couple of days or so. I also do as Thrak does and generate plucker files every few weeks as well to have a copy of the actual cache page which sometimes helps in the field (I use GSAK to generate the html for that though, not GPXSpinner, not that it really matters).

A teeny word of warning for T|X users.. don't go crazy with the size of the cachemate database..anything more than about 2,000 caches will cause the T|X to slooow down when re-indexing the database. The T|X uses newer memory managament, some older programs don't seem to play nicely with it. My T|T is faster than my T|X in those cases :) Otherwise, the T|X is a very nice Palm for storing cache information.

Edited by Maingray