Thanks for the New Google Map

geoduck.5

Here are a couple tips for best results if you are printing out the map:

1. Select File > Print Preview > Landscape (In IE it's a horizontal sheet of paper with an A on it)

2. Take the scale down to about 80%

Once you select these attributes they will remain for your session. Print away!

... directed over here from another thread.

Great improvements. Thanks for bringing back the list on the side and the option for numbers.

First -- big DITTO! Great look on the icons, I especially like the fact that disabled caches show with the orange surround. Also, I just noticed the 'Topo' and 'DOQ' button options for the map data. Excellent!

Now one tweak.... when I click 'hide my finds' and 'hide my caches', could those be removed from the list on the right sidebar as well? There are areas of a nearby town that is pretty cache dense and I have found many caches there, but when I want to use the 'hide my finds' option to see what is left, I can spot them on the map pretty quickly, but I can't easily see them from the list.

And, I just did read in this thread about how updating that list of caches will be very difficult with each click of a checkbox. Could it be done with a 'refresh list' function button that would take into account the checkbox settings? I wouldn't be opposed to hitting 'refresh list' when I needed to.

Thanks! :)

(Firefox 2.0.0.8)

:) Wow! This latest version of GoogleMaps for Geocachers really rocks. I guess I can throw away all my topographic and DOQ software packages that I used to use to plan my caching in the hills, because now I can just screen copy or print the GoogleMaps output. I also appreciate the simple numbering option for geocaches on the map screen, since that's exactly what I did with a single page printout page I carry for each of the caches I'm about to look for. Thanks for the greatly improved maps! :)

... directed over here from another thread.

Great improvements. Thanks for bringing back the list on the side and the option for numbers.

First -- big DITTO! Great look on the icons, I especially like the fact that disabled caches show with the orange surround. Also, I just noticed the 'Topo' and 'DOQ' button options for the map data. Excellent!

Now one tweak.... when I click 'hide my finds' and 'hide my caches', could those be removed from the list on the right sidebar as well? There are areas of a nearby town that is pretty cache dense and I have found many caches there, but when I want to use the 'hide my finds' option to see what is left, I can spot them on the map pretty quickly, but I can't easily see them from the list.

And, I just did read in this thread about how updating that list of caches will be very difficult with each click of a checkbox. Could it be done with a 'refresh list' function button that would take into account the checkbox settings? I wouldn't be opposed to hitting 'refresh list' when I needed to.

Thanks! :)

(Firefox 2.0.0.8)

Well, interesting that you bring up the "refresh list" idea. We *had* it this way but Internet Explorer was not cooperating. Basically it was locking up the pages (Firefox performed admirably). The technical challenge to add this feature, and the feature to update the cache list on the right when you check/uncheck, is prodigious.

The map has really improved over the last couple of weeks. One bug that I came across today is that when I download to GPS from the bubble on the map, it locks the map. It downloads fine to my GPS, but then the map is locked up, and I have to refresh the map. Thanks for all the improvements.

The map has really improved over the last couple of weeks. One bug that I came across today is that when I download to GPS from the bubble on the map, it locks the map. It downloads fine to my GPS, but then the map is locked up, and I have to refresh the map. Thanks for all the improvements.

Thanks, we'll look into this.

Still can't download to GPS with this new map.

How so? Are you clicking on the icon and not seeing the text "Send to GPS"?

-Raine

I am still having the same problem. Instead of sending to the Geocache listing it is sent to the Waypoints list with a blue dot instead of the closed cache chest. You have to manually open each one in the Waypoints listing and change the icon before it appears on the cache listing. Also the title is still GEOCACHE. I tried it yesterday to see if it was working since the map is working with the numbered cache locations but no luck so I am patiently waiting.

Here are a couple tips for best results if you are printing out the map:

1. Select File > Print Preview > Landscape (In IE it's a horizontal sheet of paper with an A on it)

2. Take the scale down to about 80%

Once you select these attributes they will remain for your session. Print away!

Yes, I have done all of this and it is still a small map. I have changed my display resolution and that doesn't change things too much. One real concern is that the number of caches doesn't refresh after a certain zoom level. If I get done to where I can see 30 caches for example, the search list may show 100 or more. This presents a problem if you chose the "Show Numbers on Map' option because if you chose to print the map you are seeing that has 30 caches on it, the first page of your printout will have a small map and the right-hand column showing the numbered caches, and then you will have page after page of a blank sheet with the exception of a right-hand column that continues the numbered caches. Is there not a way for it to actually be a WYSIWYG?

wow I like the new update. Bigger icons, list on the left and numbers! Now we can print it out again!

I believe you are working to refresh the list when we select/unselect a type of cache?

Thanks for the hard work!

But have you actually tried to print a map out yet? I have and it is not very functional.

No! Well from what I was seeing on the screen I thought it would be fine. I cannot test it at this minute but will later.

What I meant was that a screen capture and print will be fine for me now with bigger cache icons, cache numbered and the list on the left.

I think you will find the screen capture and print will not work well. If your screen shows more than about 15 numbered caches in the search results, you are only going to get a print out of the map and those 15 caches and if the caches you are looking for aren't in the first 15...you won't see them. If you try to do a regular print/print preview, you will see the map on page 1 and then page after page of nothing but the rest of the numbered caches showing in the search results.

I think you will find the screen capture and print will not work well. If your screen shows more than about 15 numbered caches in the search results, you are only going to get a print out of the map and those 15 caches and if the caches you are looking for aren't in the first 15...you won't see them.

oops true... but I usually zoom enough so that don't happen. Later after work I will try the print.

The technical challenge to add this feature, and the feature to update the cache list on the right when you check/uncheck, is prodigious.

But you have to agree it's a must. Either automatic or manual refresh is needed.

If Raine needs help and he agree to share some part of the code then I'm sure someone in the ocmmunity will be glad to help.

Well, interesting that you bring up the "refresh list" idea. We *had* it this way but Internet Explorer was not cooperating. Basically it was locking up the pages (Firefox performed admirably). The technical challenge to add this feature, and the feature to update the cache list on the right when you check/uncheck, is prodigious.

Ok, so you have to own a GPS in order to go geocaching, so why not "you have to install Firefox to use our awesomest maps with the mostest and bestest features" . :) Us Firefox users are not opposed to having more features than IE. Actually, we're quite used to the situation. :)

I would like to suggest collapsable navigation for the items on the right side of the map.

The list of caches may be helpful to some, but not to me. I like the pop-up bubbles, which contain all the information I need, and a link to get to the cache page, if I need more information.

The selection boxes for types of caches maybe helpful at times, but I don't use them all of the time.

The bubbles around the cache icons don't really do it for me. I liked the old way without the bubbles.

Perhaps if the navigation and selection aids on the right side of the map were collapsable, then they wouldn't be displayed for everyone by default. Perhaps that could eliminate some server load, as the page could be "smart" enough to determin if the collapsable navigation were opened or closed, and only query the db or the web server for that information if needed. Also, a check box to turn on/off the bubbles around the cache icons would be nice so I could turn them off. My suggestions may or may not be beneficial to the map project, but these are things I would like to see. And since you guys are so talented, I'm sure you could make then work if they are beneficial.

Thanks for the great work on the project, Raine, and GC.com crew. You guys ROCK!

KRnlKilR

Ok, so you have to own a GPS in order to go geocaching, so why not "you have to install Firefox to use our awesomest maps with the mostest and bestest features" . :) Us Firefox users are not opposed to having more features than IE. Actually, we're quite used to the situation. :)

I have Firefox and the refresh doesn't work. Maybe they backed it out when it didn't work in IE.

I have Firefox and the refresh doesn't work. Maybe they backed it out when it didn't work in IE.
I assumed that because it locked up IE they took the feature out altogether. If I'm right, it shouldn't work, 'cuz it isn't there. :)

I've noticed that it appears the list thinks the map is taller than it shows. I've zoomed out from my home coords, and without zooming back in (so it isn't a refresh thing) a whole row of caches just south of the edge of the map show up on the list. Here's my best representation:

|AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAAAAAAAAAAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|

|AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA|

|_________________________________________|

AAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKAAAA

AAAAAAALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAA

The blocked in section is the readable map, showing the caches represented by the letters A-H, but the list shows the caches I-M in the list, despite the fact they are off the map.

I'm using WinXP/FireFox 2.0.0.8

Edited by Too Tall John

Hello Groundspeak coders,

Thanx for your work ! Looks great. Is there a way to show the cache's from my bookmarklist ?

On earlier Google maps my bookmark lists could be made visible. Maybe the square shape around the icon could be used for this. Example: I select a list and the cache's on that list who are also in the visible area apear with a BOLD linded square.

This option will be my biggest wish.

Greeting's from Holland

Some updates went out just now:

- You can now optimize the map based on your browser resolution by clicking the images at the top left. This will allow higher resolutions to have a larger map

- "Send to GPS" no longer locks up the map. Unfortunately we had to remove the ability for the new window to be resized but at least the functionality is there. Please no comments about blue flags and geocaches not being the right Garmin "type". That is a different issue which has a different thread.

Please also read further up in this thread for my earlier comments before asking the same question over and over. The bookmark issue as well as the cache list updating issue has been explained a number of times. Thanks!

Keep up the good work! Things are looking great!

The white boxes around the icons are growing on me. It's nice to see the unavailable caches in orange. That really helps from clicking on a cache and then finding out it isn't up and running.

I'll have to go back and try re-loading the map page. On Firefox I wasn't getting a very big map screen, either. (Edit: looks good now!)

Two requests:

* A collapsible screen on the right for the cache listing would be just about perfect. The map could be made wider if a user wishes.

* Instead of subscriber-only caches showing up with a green tupperware icon, can they be changed to a RED tupperware icon? This would help identify them on the map a lot easier. Same goes for the detailed individual cache listing sheets.

Thanks!

:D

Edited by big.foot

- You can now optimize the map based on your browser resolution by clicking the images at the top left. This will allow higher resolutions to have a larger map

- "Send to GPS" no longer locks up the map. Unfortunately we had to remove the ability for the new window to be resized but at least the functionality is there. Please no comments about blue flags and geocaches not being the right Garmin "type". That is a different issue which has a different thread.

Please also read further up in this thread for my earlier comments before asking the same question over and over. The bookmark issue as well as the cache list updating issue has been explained a number of times. Thanks!

That is great!!! Thanks so much! It is a lot more user-friendly now.

Well, I would like to join in the excitment, however I am travelling with a company notebook - Windows 2000 & IE6, with the corporate cripples - and the map has just blanked right out!

Any suggestions? A weekend pending!

If it blanked out in the print preview, make sure you have it set to view at 80%. If it is blanked out in just a regular view, it is probably the corporate cripples.

I was one of the host of complainers two or three weeks ago when the mapping was first being converted. After watching the evolution over the last few days - I am now firmly in the 'this is better' camp. I was certainly displaying that unflattering trait of 'resistance to change'.

Map size change buttons on the top left work fine for me (XP). Like the cache list on the left. Page is well organized. Didnt lose the other mapping programs like I first thought - I was just on the wrong page on the site....

Thanks for hanging in to complete some difficult work!

Codge-WV

If it is blanked out in just a regular view, it is probably the corporate cripples.

Yep, the regular view - some of the framing is there but nothing in the map area at all, it's OK, I have put in my notice regardless!

It was working just fine until this week though!

Edited by gefscofix

About cache list updating, I really think now that the only logical option would be to do it manually. The main reason is that we would be able to select/unselect one or more options THEN refresh. If it was automatic the refresh would have to happen after every select/unselect so way too much reloading & traffic & make no sense anyway.

I would replace the Create PQ (since it's already available at another place) by something like "Refresh list to reflect changes".

Wow! Beautiful job you people are doing. I am amazed at the fact that you look at everyone's requests and strive to give us all what we want! Amazing coding job!!! I like the fact that you have allowed us to select the size of map we want. I also like the PQ button on the map page. I have only played with it for a few minutes since I just got home from work, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your hard work and coding excellence! Thanks a lot. I know that you are working on getting everything working perfectly and giving everyone what they want and need. Thanks for being diligent and for being a perfectionist. Fabulous job!

I have been looking all over and I cannot locate the forum for the flag and geocaching icons. I am sorry to bother you as I know you are very busy, but if you know the forum name or have a link to it could you please let me know? Thanks a million.

wow I like the new update. Bigger icons, list on the left and numbers! Now we can print it out again!

I believe you are working to refresh the list when we select/unselect a type of cache?

Thanks for the hard work!

Excellent - well done

Numbers, larger icons, can now print out with good cause.

One obvious prob is that as you progressively zoom in from a large cache collection, the full list stays on the RHS, even if most of the cacxhes are not seen in the zoomed in version.

You might want to offer a no list option. I'll always have the list - tx.

I am very pleased with the ongoing re-working of the maps interface! All of the features I reported I liked from the previous version have now re-appeared. Thanks so much!

Here's what I liked: different size/shape map, highlighting between icon and list entry, and now the ability to remove my finds makes this terrific. Adding Topo and DOQ are great too!

Would there be any way to have an option to hide Temporarily Disabled caches? I get so tired of people disabling them and then they never get back to enabling them. I have so many in my area that have been disabled for months; some for nearly a year, that I would like to just not see them on the map.

Congrat's on the new maps!

As far as I can tell, my earlier concerns have been alleviated.

I like that you can number the maps again, and that you can zoom out further.

It WOULD be nice if selecting HIDE MY FINDS would also remove them from the list, but it looks like the hangup here is using Internet Explorer.

In fact, it seems like using Internet Explorer is a major stumbling block to other user requests; requests that CAN be met using Mozilla Firefox. Maybe the day has come to require all users to drop IE! This would cause no hardship because Mozilla Firefox is free.

But ...... But ...... would GC.com really want to offend BIG BROTHER?

I love the new maps! One improvement though may be to give unavailable caches a red background and the highlighted cache the yellow/orange. That would seem to make more sense as most people associate red with unavailable through the use of GSAK or the text colour in the list.

Still can't download to GPS with this new map.

How so? Are you clicking on the icon and not seeing the text "Send to GPS"?

-Raine

I am still having the same problem. Instead of sending to the Geocache listing it is sent to the Waypoints list with a blue dot instead of the closed cache chest. You have to manually open each one in the Waypoints listing and change the icon before it appears on the cache listing. Also the title is still GEOCACHE. I tried it yesterday to see if it was working since the map is working with the numbered cache locations but no luck so I am patiently waiting.

Yeah I'm having the same problem with downloading caches using the Garmin Communicator Plugin. It makes it a blue flag on the GPS unit instead of the closed treasure chest. Then when I go to find it doesn't show up in "GEOCACHES" until I go change the caches I downloaded from the flag to the chest. I also noticed that under the notes section now it just says "Geocache" instead of the description of the cache. Other than that I love the maps. I used to use the Garmin Communicator plugin all the time before the new maps started messing it up. Hope to have it fixed soon!

:) I love the new map setup. I was concerned over some of the tweaks that have been going on over the last few days but it looks like you are getting a handle on it.

I love the ability to chose the numbers.

I love the ability to chose the caches I want to see.

I love the ability to filter out caches.

I love the ability to chose map size.

I find that if I chose the middle map size and print in landscape, everything seems to come out reasonably well. If I allow it to print portrait, it is next to useless.

Thanks for all that you folk do with this website!

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I have even better news for you today. Raine worked hard over the weekend to improve the maps even further.

First, the bad news: Bookmarking in its previous incarnation will not return for some time. Development work for the maps has to be diverted elsewhere so unfortunately we'll have to wait for this feature.

And now the good news!

• Caches will now be removed from the sidebar if they are not in the "viewport"
  • A blue bounding box is now in place to show you which area has been queried. Moving outside the box will requery the database
  • Added a collapse/expand bar to hide the list of caches. The map will still refresh with this closed so when you open the sidebar again it will reflect the current view
  • Added a refresh link in case the map gets wonky

Hope you all enjoy, and thanks again for your support and patience. B)

Hello,

I personally think the bookmark list is a great way to maintain a collection of caches. A bookmark list is the only tool to extract data from GC.com and make a Pocket query out of it.

Ok not the only tool. But THE BEST TOOL where members can create there personal collection.

The bookmark list earns to be recreated again.

Greetings ardligthart