Thanks for the New Google Map

geoduck.5

So on the "DOQ" tab(or button) it has USGS icons on it, are those benchmarks?? Really cool if they are :(

Also my cache icons weren't showing up at first when I looked at the maps but now they are showing up just fine.

Nope, not benchmarks, more like watermarks.

So on the "DOQ" tab(or button) it has USGS icons on it, are those benchmarks?? Really cool if they are :(

Also my cache icons weren't showing up at first when I looked at the maps but now they are showing up just fine.

Nope, not benchmarks, more like watermarks.

Ahhh I see!!! I was hoping.

And I noticed the map was small as well. I like the option of the "+" in the upper right hand corner to make it bigger.

I hate the new maps! the HUGE icons take up way too much space on the small map screen. The border makes it so you can't really see where it is in comparison to the terrain. Also, isolating the hide find option to only premium members, what a sellout! Come on, us free members got rights too! Help a fellow cacher out! I liked the old new maps. The first gen with no little squares around the icons. It just makes things too crowded. Bring back the old new maps!

Wow, I don't see any of those negative comments happening... I'm using FireFox 2.0.0.8.

The squares around the icons are smaller, but I like that, just fits the multiple cache icon. The problem before, was the icons were hard to see against the imagery.

What browser are you using Cassaroll168?

Edited by geoduck4

I hate the new maps! the HUGE icons take up way too much space on the small map screen.

That's ironic, since one of the complaints about the first generation Google maps were that the icons were too big. On my screen, the icons look like the Geo Micro maps I've been used to seeing for several years.
Also, isolating the hide find option to only premium members, what a sellout! Come on, us free members got rights too!
"You have the right to remain silent..." :(

I'm glad most of you like the new new maps so far. Raine has put a lot of work in the last couple weeks to return many of the old features you all enjoyed.

"the google maps api key was registered for a different website" blah, blah, blah, and it doesn't work. just mentioning.

Is this a bug report?

Edit: Nevermind, this is fixed.

Good work...only thing missing is the bookmark function as with the oldest version...

You can open the cache bubble by clicking the cache icon and then add a cache to your bookmark list. Cache.

The maps haven't ever worked on my firefox since the upgrade. Hate having to go into IE6 just for the maps, which I use frequently.

Anyone know how to get these to work?

Browser version? Works excellent in v2.0.0.8

Hopefully the bugs are being worked out. I see that a number of things have changed. BUT....

When I open the geocaching.com google maps, the map is only 3 inches by 4inches. What is going on?

IE 6.0

According to Raine: "I've got to write some fancy code to deal with the difference browers having different values for "height"..." before the map size can be increased. Or you could upgrade to version 7.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Please keep 'em coming.

Edited by OpinioNate

Wow, I really like the map update today. I didn't post about the previous version because I don't like to complain. This version fixed all the things I didn't like: now I can really spot the caches on the map with the new icons, the list of the caches on the right, and the extra map views. Very cool stuff!

Geocruise :(

i know i can add a bookmark by clicking in the bubble but with the old map it was faster and easier...only selecting the bookmarklist and clicking the icon.

I see. I'm afraid we had to make certain sacrifices in this new design to accommodate all the features people have been asking for, and that was one of them.

I'm glad most of you like the new new maps so far. Raine has put a lot of work in the last couple weeks to return many of the old features you all enjoyed.

Good job Raine. Every time I go look at the maps they are getting better and better and less bugs.

According to Raine: "I've got to write some fancy code to deal with the difference browers having different values for "height"..." before the map size can be increased. Or you could upgrade to version 7.

I'm sure he's working on this for Firefox 2.0.0.8 correct? The map is 5" by 3"now.

I'm sure he's working on this for Firefox 2.0.0.8 correct? The map is 5" by 3"now.

He's referring to Internet Explorer Version 6 here. Microsoft does not make it easy for him to adjust the map size for that browser.

He's referring to Internet Explorer Version 6 here. Microsoft does not make it easy for him to adjust the map size for that browser.

OK Thanks. I mention the size issue early on in this thread and didn't post my browser :(

We wont get into the IE issue here. There's a whole thread on that :(

i know i can add a bookmark by clicking in the bubble but with the old map it was faster and easier...only selecting the bookmarklist and clicking the icon.

I see. I'm afraid we had to make certain sacrifices in this new design to accommodate all the features people have been asking for, and that was one of them.

is it possible to make the "premium members filters" in a pop up to free more space..maybe enough to bring back bookmarklist :(

I guess I lied before, the only problem i have is the icons. the icons, at least in hybrid or satellite mode, would disappear in forests or parks. They just aren't big enough or outlined enough. Just a red border or bright orange border would do it. Or maybe bigger. I don't know, I just know I can see them a lot better in thought bubble form.

I hate the new maps! the HUGE icons take up way too much space on the small map screen.

:(

is it possible to make the "premium members filters" in a pop up to free more space..maybe enough to bring back bookmarklist :(

At first we had it this way but it wasn't working out well. We'll continue to brainstorm ways to add that feature, though. At some point we had to quit shuffling features around and get these big issues pushed out.

"the google maps api key was registered for a different website" blah, blah, blah, and it doesn't work. just mentioning.

Is this a bug report?

Edit: Nevermind, this is fixed.

Good work...only thing missing is the bookmark function as with the oldest version...

You can open the cache bubble by clicking the cache icon and then add a cache to your bookmark list. Cache.

The maps haven't ever worked on my firefox since the upgrade. Hate having to go into IE6 just for the maps, which I use frequently.

Anyone know how to get these to work?

Browser version? Works excellent in v2.0.0.8

Hopefully the bugs are being worked out. I see that a number of things have changed. BUT....

When I open the geocaching.com google maps, the map is only 3 inches by 4inches. What is going on?

IE 6.0

Thanks for the comments everyone. Please keep 'em coming.

OK. I just checked the map size on IE 7.0 and it is still on the small size. It is usable, but could be larger up and down.

I miss having the opportunity of being able to select a bookmark and having the caches associated with said bookmark become highlighted on the map. This was alawys very useful when creating caching routes.

Everything else looks good.

I just noticed that when you zoom in on the map, the list of caches stay the same and the caches are not renumbered. I had 37 caches listed and then I zoomed into a group of 4, but it still listed all 37 caches and did not renumber or create a new cache list.

wow I like the new update. Bigger icons, list on the left and numbers! Now we can print it out again!

I believe you are working to refresh the list when we select/unselect a type of cache?

Thanks for the hard work!

Having the cache list update when you zoom in or deselect a specific type of cache is a really challenging prospect. The work involved may be beyond what we are willing to expend or may even be impossible (Raine will have to make that determination) but we will try as always. The same goes for the bookmark requests but Raine was pulled off another very important project to work on these maps so I don't know how much more we can abuse him.

By the way, the reason the map doesn't refresh everytime you zoom in is because it would make it really slooow. Trust me, despite its perceived benefits you wouldn't be willing to trade the swift navigation.

I think that covers most of your comments but if I missed any I'll be back in the morning. Thanks again for trying out the maps and reporting back.

Thank you for the great work that you have completed in a very short time!!!

I think that the idea to have the filters as a pop up would be a GREAT feature! There would be more room for the map. I don't know if this is possible but being able to store personal filter settings would be great as well so that the filters would not have to be clicked each time the map is loaded. Seeing a bigger map, like the previous version, would be great too. A bigger map is the main thing I would like to see. Thank you very much for devoting so much time and coding skill to make this site one of the best there is, with the features that the people that play this game are really wanting. GREAT JOB!!!

Dang man

With all the moaning and belly aching I never thought you could please so many people. My hat is continually off to Raine and the gang for managing to include so many of the features that have been requested. I would have never thought it possible.

Kudos to you all.

:(:(:laughing:

Bug or feature? When i "Hide my finds" the caches are removed from the map but not from the list. I think it would be much better to remove them from the list too. Furthermore the hidden "finds" are still numbered.

Ditto the above comment; There's no sense showing "my finds" or "my hides" in the list if I've removed them from the map. If you are "showing the numbers on the map", it is very confusing to have "My Finds or My Hides" still showing on the list! More importantly, why is the map so darn small? (what is this, the wide screen version like in HDTV's??) :) The map needs to be BIGGER!! I'm not overly fond of the borders around the cache icons, but if others prefer them, then leave it, but if you extend the map vertically down to the bottom of the window, that would be a big help!

Upon further examination.... I just noticed that when I "preview" a pocket query (thanks for bringing the preview back in the queries!), that it does not show "my finds or my hides", but there are times that I just have a regular cache page open and just want to preview the google map from there, and it would be nice to have "my finds and my hides" off the list! Thanks for your ongoing hard work and support to create a quality map! :)

Edited by pointme2

Is it just me and my browser or what? a 4x5 inch map is WAY TO SMALL!!

All the new bells and whistles don't mean anything if you cant see them.

(firefox 2.0.0.8)

What resolution is your monitor?

-Raine

I'm having the same issue with the same version of firefox. Way to small. The other map would fill the screen more(top to bottom. I guess that would be height, he he). My screen resolution is 1024 x 768.

Also before we had the red x to make it larger height as well and that was nice to have.

It's getting light out, I'm going geocaching...woooohoooooo :)

I really like the looks of the new maps but right now, that is all they are good for.....looking at. Since the caches don't refresh if you zoom in to see them, you may show 80 listed when you are actually seeing 25. If you choose the" number them" option and you wanted to print a map to take with you, you will have a printout with 1 page with a tiny map that won't even show what you were looking at on the screen and several pages that just have the cache listings down the right side with a big blank in the middle of the page.

So, while it looks great on my computer screen, it is not very worthwhile if you want to take a map with you.

Any chance this is being worked on? Also, will the "hide my finds" be availabe in the search results, too?

Regarding the map size: My maps were pretty small (height-wise) in both I.E. and Firefox, so I went in and played around a little. I found that turning off the Google Toolbar, Stumble Upon Toolbar, Navigation Toolbar and then doing an F11 to go to full screen made a huge difference.

BTW the new maps are great! The only change I would like is that when you hide "my finds" or "my hides" that they drop off the list also.

Great work!

wow I like the new update. Bigger icons, list on the left and numbers! Now we can print it out again!

I believe you are working to refresh the list when we select/unselect a type of cache?

But have you actually tried to print a map out yet? I have and it is not very functional.

But have you actually tried to print a map out yet? I have and it is not very functional.

No! Well from what I was seeing on the screen I thought it would be fine. I cannot test it at this minute but will later.

What I meant was that a screen capture and print will be fine for me now with bigger cache icons, cache numbered and the list on the left.