*****Mailing Geocoins*****

SeabeckTribe

I guess I am too much of a trusting person. A professional should know what they are doing. RIGHT???? I take their explanations and leave it at that. Why should I question their knowledge?

Awhile back, well probably many months ago when postage rates went up. I was told that the criteria for mailing had changed also. What cost me $.63 was now costing me well over a $1 for a single coin. Almost double. I package & mail my single coins in 1/2 of a Safe-T-Mailer and slip it into a 3.5 X 6" coin envelope. To safe guard the package from tearing open, I wrap it in clear book tape. Because of this increase of postage I haven't been very active in trading lately!

I get to the PO later in the day and usually always end up with this one clerk. (very small PO and only one of two clerks work the counter at a time usually) Well... Yesterday morning I went to the PO to mail a single coin in my usual packaging. The other clerk was working her station. She grab a template and tried to slip my package through a 1/4" slot. She told me that it could not go as a small envelope but the next step up, a 3/4" slot to a large envelope. It cost me $1.14. One of the lowest prices I had paid for a single coin in a long time. This really made me think about how I packaged my coins.

This morning I made my own template and took it to the PO. I had a single coin I was mailing. But I put it in a regular envelope (not using the Safe-T-Mailer) and folded it, then put it in my coin envelope. I taped it as usual, but this time it fit through the 1/4" slot in my template. My usual clerk was there and I asked him if my template was correct. He looked a little bewildered but sized it up to his taped to the counter and it was the correct thickness. I paid for the mailing.

It happened that the other clerk was there, but her counter was closed. I went to her counter and started copying the info and asked about the cost of postage. She gave me a copy of the First Class Mailing criteria for small and large envelopes.

I went to my car and took out the reciept. I realized that it cost me $1.30 for this mailing. I was so into the conversation that I didn't think of what I paid out. I started to add the cost up and realized that I paid almost double.

I took the reciept and the paper copy back into the PO and asked the clerk if he could help me understand the cost of this mailing. He said it was non-bendable. I point out the info on the paper and for nonmachinable letters. It states that there is a surcharge of $.17 for letters that are rigid or keys, coins, pens, etc. So after refunding me the $1.30. He proceded to fumble through the PO computer screen finding the right postage info to enter. Low and behold!!! It came to the same as I had calulated in the car. A whole wooping $.75!

Well... You can bet that I am now once again a happy coin trader and will be looking to trade more often!

You can find the information on mailing at www.usps.com. It took a little searching, but I did find it under here: http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2007/mayjune/page1.html

If you know the weight & thickness of your package, you can calulate the postage on site.

Anyway... I thought I would give you the weight, deimensions and postage criteria. So I hope that if you didn't know these details that this will help you with your future mailings.

FIRST CLASS MAILING

LETTER ****$.42 up to first ounce and $.17 for each additional rounded up ounce****

11 1/2" in length

6 1/8" in height

1/4" in thickness

Weight not more than 3.5 oz

Nonmachinable Criteria- Letter *** ADD $.17***

Rigid

Keys, coins, pens, etc...

Has clasps, strings, buttons, ect...

Enclosed in plastic material

Delivery address is not parallet to the longest side

Aspect Ratio by address orientation

LARGE ENVELOPE *****$.80 up to first ounce and $.17 for each additional rounded up ounce****

15" in lenght

12" in height

3/4" in thickness

Nonmachinable Criteria - Large Envelope ****If your envelope has any of these. It must go as a package****

Rigid

Not rectangular (Squares are rectangular)

Not uniform in thickness (1/4" variation in thickness allowed)

i mail mine in #000 mailers, weigh it, and put the 80 cent rate postage on there (which is accurate, the size is never over 3/4 inch thick, and it is bendable)... and nothing has come back saying insufficient postage.

but if i take it to the PO they charge the next one up the 1.13 one :( they need to be better educated

If you can package and get it thru the 1/4" slot then it will go non-machinable. Otherwise most will get you into the parcel rate somehow.

I was looking at creating a mailer. made of the thin cardboard like a CD mailer and sandwiched in the middle would be a rim of corrigated cardboard. Keeping it under 1/4" thick but providing a pocket in the middle for coins. Would be ridged and non-machinable.

I'll try and post picture.

Edited by Atwell Family

I have a small digital scale I got from eBay for weighing my packages, and I cut sized slits in a piece of cereal box to check my packet thicknesses. Both come in handy.

Unfortunately for us in Canada the post office doesn't want anything but paper going in a letter to the US. Even if it's under the 30g limit and fits through the 5mm slot, if I go to my postal outlet and the clerk feels something metal in the envelope, it has to go as a light packet ($1.86) instead of a letter ($0.93). Kind of annoying.

Here is a picture of the envelope I use. I wrap book tape all around it to make sure the envelope doesn't get torn open. I always put the tape over the labels. I weigh the package on my digital scale at home. Now I can put the correct postage on and mail it without having to stand in line. If you put your own postage on. Make sure to put the stamps on last and over the top of the tape. The acutal stamps need to be cancelled.

This is the packaging I was using. I will be using index cards folded around the coin to keep the thickness down. I'll use a Safe-T-Mailer if the weight is over the 3.5 oz.

Happy coin trading

Lummieh

I just use a #0 mailer...put the coin inside another recycled mailer...and stuff it in...probably getting to the 3/4" thickness by then. Been sending 1 coin for: 97 cents, 2 for $1.14, does not seem excessive to me. It is when you have 8-12 coins, the Flat Rate Priority really pays off...$4.60 for 10 coins...thats only 46 cents per. Been able to stuff as many as 14 coins at times....even better rate...and the package gets to the destination pretty darned fast.

All in all...we get a pretty good deal out of our Postal System...average postage seems to run about 55 cents per coin after the 1st one....what are you whining about? :(

I have been very lucky with my POs ( i use 2 different ones) as most of my packages go through as first class large envelope which is $.80 for the first oz and $.17 for each additional oz. This works will for mailings of up to 4 coins at a time but much over this it is considered a first class package a $1.13 for the first oz and $.17 for each additional oz. This is with using 6x9 mailers.

Then again when the change came out I did have to explain the new rules to them since even the workers at the PO didn't quite understand it. But after a while we were able to work out the rates for the packages I was taking in.

Of course it doesn't hurt if the clerks are wearing TSD geopins :) and you are an "ex disgruntled postal employee" :) .

Team Sand Dollar

It's still $1.30 for one coin (1-2 oz) at my post office and if I put less on it, they return it. Doesn't matter what thickness.

Look up that page on the USPS site and take it into your PO. They also should have a template on their counter or somewhere close. It explains the thickness and size. I wouldn't think that they would have different criterias at different POs. USPS should be the same all over the USA.

FirstClassMailSheet.jpg

As Team Sand Dollar said... She had to explain it and work it out with her PO.

Good Luck :)

Lummieh

I have been wondering about this since the rate change. I have gotten coins with anywhere form $0.58 to $1.30 for one coin. For one I used the exact same envelope and also the inner stuff and same weight coin and it cost me $1.30 when it was I think $0.97 to me. I explained this and they just shrugged their shoulders. I will have to go in and have another talk with them. Meanwhile I have been using the paypal multishipping thing. I see nowhere to put in the flat rate envelope only the parcel or first class rate. Am I missing something there? I like the delivery confirmation you get there for $0.18

Edited by LadyBee4T

I have been wondering about this since the rate change. I have gotten coins with anywhere form $0.58 to $1.30 for one coin. For one I used the exact same envelope and also the inner stuff and same wiat coin and it cost me $1.30 when it was I think $0.97 to me. I explained this and they just shrugged their shoulders. I will have to go in and have another talk with them. Meanwhile I have been using the paypal multichipping thing. I see no to put in the flat rate envelope only th parcel or first class rate. Am I missing something there? I like the delivery confirmation you get there for $0.18

I think for delivery confirmation your package has to be over 1/4". This raises the package to the 3/4" rate.

I found that with PayPal confirmation you don't get any confirmation till it is delivered. Where the PO confirmation is scanned at mailing and have proof that it was mailed.

Here is a better page from the USPS on the subject of mailing. The previous page was only for machinable letters. This talks about the nonmachinable first class mailing.

http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2007/julyaug/page4.html The text below came from this page.

Size isn't the only factor to consider. Also consider physical characteristics. Letter-rate pieces may be subject to the 17-cent nonmachinable surcharge due to other nonmachinable characteristics (see below). Also keep in mind, the weight limit for letters is 3.5 ounces (3.3 ounces for presort rate). Letter-size pieces weighing more than 3.5 ounces are subject to the rates for flats.

Regardless of weight, a letter-size piece is considered nonmachinable and would be subject to the 17-cent nonmachinable surcharge if it has one or more of the following characteristics:

• Pieces which are rigid or contain odd-shaped contents such as loose keys, coins or tokens that cause the thickness to be uneven (nonuniform).

• Measures more than 4¼ inches high, or 6 inches long, and thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

• Is polybagged, polywrapped or enclosed in any plastic material.

• Clasps, strings, buttons or similar closure devices.

• Self-mailer with a folded edge perpendicular to the address not folded and secured (e.g., tabbed).

• Booklet with the bound edge (spine) along the top of the piece (length) or along the shorter dimension not secured (tabbed).

Copy this page and take it into your PO. I just think the staff in the POs need to be brought up to date.

Let the Bling Bling fly! :)

Good Luck

Lummieh

I have learned to take it to a small PO who is willing to work with you, only go on the days that person is avil. Mine just saved me an avg. og $ .50 each big help since it is almost the fee Paypal charges.

I coin = .58

2coins = .92

3 coins = 1.30

etc.

Also, NEW FOUND INFO about INTERNATIONAL shipping. :D

The FREE flat envelope is now a flat rate to Mexico and Canade and there is a flat rate of $11.00 to all other countries. Worked out great for shipping to New Zealand.

Would never have known if she hadn't helped, well worth the jar of Alaskan Raspberry Jam I took her :rolleyes:

Edit to add I am using # 6 and # 10 envelopes taped all the way around the edges and now put a return sticker on the index cards containing coins

in case of seperation from mailer.

Edited by Frozen Buns

It's still $1.30 for one coin (1-2 oz) at my post office and if I put less on it, they return it. Doesn't matter what thickness.

Look up that page on the USPS site and take it into your PO. They also should have a template on their counter or somewhere close. It explains the thickness and size. I wouldn't think that they would have different criterias at different POs. USPS should be the same all over the USA.

FirstClassMailSheet.jpg

As Team Sand Dollar said... She had to explain it and work it out with her PO.

Good Luck :)

Lummieh

Using this chart here is what my post office (tried at least 3 in the Denver area) does.

To think for letter ----> Go to Envelope

Right size ------> (here is hwere it gets tricky) Some same it is rigid due to the coin, some same it isn't uniforn in thickness...in any case they all then point to PACKAGE.

Big differance .58 compared to 1.14 that over 186 shipments I am making on the butterflies really starts to add up.

I need to find another post office or abetter solution. Looking at CD mailers for the next coins. Will get under the 1/4 and then go non-machinable letter.

I guess you have to point out to them that the words "Rigid - Keys, Coins, Pens, ect..." is the key words here that make it nonmachinable, but still in the criteria of First Class Mailing.

An envelope containing Keys and Pens are defiantly not uniforn in thickness. But if they go through the 1/4" slot it is a First Class Nonmachinable letter they are within the criteria! $.41 + $.17 and then another $.17 for each additional rounded up ounce. And to me, GeoCOINS fall into this criteria. Copy and take this First Class Mailing sheet with you on your next trip to the PO. It is a matter of standing up for your rights. Who are they (the clerks), to go aginst the USPS own published criteria.

I also learned that there is only one Postmaster for an area. Here in Kitsap County he is located at the main branch. The head person at our local PO is only a Manager. As well as the other head persons in other POs in the county. If the Manager of your PO won't work with you. Then go to the Postmaster.

CD mailers sound like a good thing. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip. :)

Lummieh

Great info Diane, Thanks. :) I really liked the safe-t-mailer you use or I guess used to use! Does anybody know if someone manufactures a Tyvek #6 envelope? Or even a Tyvek #000 size mailer? I've been using recycled padded mailers and slipping them into a 6"x9" poly mailer, but I see now that this isn't saving me any money on postage.