Bug Drop Cache

TeamCypherX

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be traveling in Germany, Austria and Poland over spring break and I was thinking about setting up a "bug drop" cache for people to drop things in that would like to visit Europe. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about it. How early should I put it out (I leave the end of February) and should I make my own cache or just collect bugs that are in others. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Robert

A cache set up to collect TBs for a trip does not sound permanent. From the guidelines - "When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time."

Unless, of course, you plan on keeping this cache well beyond the TB drop phase. Then place away (all your friends in that area will be happy - although I am quite amazed at the density of caches in your geocaching stomping grounds)!

However, since your cache would be generic, you may as well coordinate with another owner of a cache that collects A LOT of bugs in your area, a cache like this one. Leave a note there about your expectation of travels, and the bugs will probably come (just be sure to add the cache to your watchlist so you know when the bugs are dropped). Also, you can post on a local caching group message board announcing your desire to move bugs to the other side of the pond.

Safe travels.

I've had this sort of cache submitted. I counseled the owner to modify his cache page to avoid holding trackables hostage. If your trip is in February, someone dropping off a geocoin in November means it's not moving for three months or more. So, why not say, "With the owner's consent, I will hold travel bugs dropped in this cache until I go on my trip in February." People dropping off Europe-bound trackables were asked to add a note for only the cache hider to pick up the trackable, and that this was OK with the owner of the trackable.

If you are going to make a cache to hold European-bound bugs, be sure to make it large enough.

Also, are cachers that visit the cache allowed to take any of the bugs out (which would, no doubt, thwart the mission), or do you plan on taking them out of the cache after they're put in so that you can hold onto them?

After my bugs sat for two weeks in a cacher's possession, I emailed them to ask about their plans. They explained that the bugs were going to get dropped at an event in another two _months_. I wrote back and implored them to just drop the bugs anywhere. My bugs had a mission and, even if this cacher was planning on completing a large portion of the mission, that's wasn't what I had in mind when I activated them.