Announcing Tour 2 Cache 2 - NJ DeLorme Challenge

Tour de Cache - NJ

The Tour Committee is proud to announce our latest offering:

GC16TDD - Tour de Cache 2 - NJ DeLorme Challenge

This cache is based on the popular series of DeLorme challenges that have appeared in many other states. To log the cache you must first find and log one cache on each of the 56 map pages in the New Jersey DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer. The challenge starts on the day this cache is listed, October 25, 2007.

This cache follows the pattern set by other DeLorme challenges with the following differences.

1. Caches found before the listing date of this cache, are not allowed for this challenge. Everyone starts at the same time.
  2. Hiding a cache does not count for this challenge except in the case of a cacher who has either found and / or hidden all of the available caches on a page prior to the listing date of this cache. This challenge is about finding caches, not placing caches
  3. Caches submitted to any other challenge cache may be submitted for consideration in this challenge provided they comply with the New Jersey DeLorme Challenge rules. The Committee does not want to get into the business of policing cross posting between the various challenge caches.

This cache is different and distinct from our original cache, GCXQ4H - Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge. The DeLorme challenge will allow for caches of any size as well as Virtual caches and Webcams whereas the County challenge did not. Please refer to the cache listing for all the details. Feel free to write to The Tour Committee if you have any questions.

Remember this is supposed to be fun – so let the games begin!

Edited by Tour de Cache - NJ

Whoo-hoo!

Another TdC challenge!!! :)

If I work on the County challenge and the DeLorme challenge at the same time, can I use the final for the the TdC County Challenge for submission to the TdC DeLorme cache?

Also, should I submit puzzle caches and multis for the pages they are listed, or for where the final is?

If I have found already all of the caches on a map page, (I've found everything within 10miles of my home). If a new cache pops up before I finish the TdC DeLorme challenge, do I still need to find the new cache?

One more thing, I've stopped logging micros and LPC on-line. Can I still us those finds for the challenge? My name is in the log book, but I only log caches on-line if I have a significant log to write or have something important to say about the cache or my hunt?

Oh, BTW, thanks for the "no previous" finds rule!

It important that we keep spending money on gas and food in the state, so having to visit all of the map pages again will help! :)

If I work on the County challenge and the DeLorme challenge at the same time, can I use the final for the the TdC County Challenge for submission to the TdC DeLorme cache?

Yes you can use a cache find for both challenges. However it is up to you to be sure that the cache complies with the rules of each challenge. See Rule #7.

As for logging the final Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge for this challenge, that is OK provided you found it on or after October 25, 2007. Also per Rule #5 you need to log that cache based on its listed coordinates, not its final coord.

Also, should I submit puzzle caches and multis for the pages they are listed, or for where the final is?

The listed coordinates will be used for determining what page a puzzle or multi cache is on since we have noway of knowing or verifying where the final cache may be. See Rule #5.

If I have found already all of the caches on a map page, (I've found everything within 10miles of my home). If a new cache pops up before I finish the TdC DeLorme challenge, do I still need to find the new cache?

We expect that having found all the caches on a page will be an exception that should not occur often. The way Rule #3 is currently written, you do not need to find a new cache that may appear on a completed page. We may rethink this Rule if there is a flood of exception requests. After all this challenge cache is about finding caches.

One more thing, I've stopped logging micros and LPC on-line. Can I still us those finds for the challenge? My name is in the log book, but I only log caches on-line if I have a significant log to write or have something important to say about the cache or my hunt?

How you play the game is certainly your choice. However if you do not log caches submitted for the challenge online, we have no way of verifying that you have completed the challenge short of physically checking the unlogged caches that you may claim to find. We just do not have the time and resources to do that. Also Rule #2 of the challenge clearly requires you to log the caches online. Therefore you can not use unlogged micros and LPC caches for this challenge. You are free to go back and log these caches on geocaching.com and then submit this for this challenge.

Oh, BTW, thanks for the "no previous" finds rule!

It important that we keep spending money on gas and food in the state, so having to visit all of the map pages again will help! :)

We felt it was important that everyone start at the same time. Otherwise the "vintage" cachers could likely claim a find for this cache today based on previous finds. That would be a bit discouraging to the new cachers. Also as in the original Tour de Cache, we want to encourage everyone to step out of their home caching territories and discover New Jersey. Plan wisely, take your time and injoy the trip!

Ah. Hmm... A few thoughts...

The owner of the one cache on Page 40 should be quite happy with the influx of new finds. :D

I haven't checked out Page 52 yet.

Do we keep a running total on the cache page with pretty colored in map (as one finds on other Delorme Challenges)? Or is the whole thing a secret until we dump the lot on you?

I promised to help my sister with her Maine Delorme Challenge next summer. (She's mighty annoyed that it appears on her Ten-Mile List!) And she promised to help me with the Jersey one. Which is moe firghtening? Jackman, Maine or Shamong, Nw Jersey? Stay tuned.

I think the Washington Delorme Challenge has links to everyone's map. Can we do this?

Come to think of it, Red Lion NJ is a pretty fightening place too!

Pages with no available caches (either all found/hid {The Harry Dolphin/Andy Bear Rule} or none available) Do I really have to hide a cache in Maurice River? I doubt that Pofe would approve it.

Middle Township. Have I ever deliberately gone to Middle Township?!? Do I want to?!? That's got to be as bad as deliberately going to Victory Gardens! Elmer? I've been to Elmer! Hmm... I should set out a cache in East Newark!

Interesting Challenge. Especially pages 21, 39, 40, 52 & 66. Poor cachemobile!.

Ah. Hmm... A few thoughts...

The owner of the one cache on Page 40 should be quite happy with the influx of new finds. :)

I haven't checked out Page 52 yet.

Every page has a cache on it. Though Pages 40 & 52 admittedly only have one cache each. I guess that balances Page 31 which has 236 caches on it. Also there are no caches on the top section of Page 66 but then that is where the Salem Nuclear Plant is locates so don't look for caches there anytime soon.

Do we keep a running total on the cache page with pretty colored in map (as one finds on other Delorme Challenges)? Or is the whole thing a secret until we dump the lot on you?

I think the Washington Delorme Challenge has links to everyone's map. Can we do this?

You can post a progress note on the page as you did on the original Tour de Cache though its not required. Also we don't have access to the mapping software used on some of the other challenges so we will not be able to do that. We are open to suggestion on progress tracking. We just wanted to get the challenge up and running so that folks can start working on it now that fall has hopefully got started too!

Interesting Challenge. Especially pages 21, 39, 40, 52 & 66. Poor cachemobile!.

Some statistics - we all love them!

Page 21 = 19 caches in 8,300 acres along the northern border of NJ above Wanaque Resevoir.

Page 39 = 5 caches in a 290 acre section of Leonardo. The rest of the page is Sandy Hook which is closed to caches - though there is a virtual cache out there. This will be challenging

Page 40 = 1 cache in a 970 acre section along the Delaware above Lambertville.

Page 52 = 1 cache in a 570 acre section along the Delaware in Penns Grove.

Page 66 top section = 0 caches near the Salem Nuclear Plant.

Pahe 66 bottom section = 4 caches in 24,000 acres of prime marsh land along Delaware Bay near Port Norris and Fortesque.

Well just like in the original Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge, we had to work with what we had. You may recall the challenge of Hudson County which last year had only 10 caches in it. Now we are showing 19 caches there. Perhaps with all the new cachers, the DeLorme Challenge might encourage some cache placement in these cache lean areas.

A few other pages with less then 10 caches in them are of note:

Page 34 = 9 caches - along the Delaware River centered on Frenchtown

Page 67 = 6 caches - this is the area along Delaware Bay east of Bridgeton

Now contrast this with some of the areas of high cache density.

Pages > 200 caches

Pages 24, 25, 26 and 31- the area between Patterson in the east and Andover in the west plus the area extending South to Florham Park. Some serious cache density here. These four pages contain 887 caches which represent almost 25 % of the 3610 caches in NJ!

Pages 47,54,55,56,62,63,64,65,70 - roughly extends from Burlington along the Delaware Southeast towards Atlantic City, containing the Wharton State Forest. These pages contain 828 caches which represents 23 % of the caches in NJ.

Very interesting distributions when you look at them

So all we can say is that there are some pages with very few caches and some pages with quite a few caches. The contrast should make the DeLorme Challenge fun.

And please be mindful of Rule #11 - "Remember that this is a game and is supposed to be fun!"