My review

This is a very short review of my past two geocache experiences with the Vista HCX and the 60CSX. It is my opinion and would apply to anyone trying to make that decision between the CSX and the HCX. Unfortunately I have no images at the waypoints declaring their accuracy. On average the HCX was between 5-20 feet off, and the CSX was between 10-30.

Right as you enter thicker brush/forest you notice a difference in how the two jump around, the HCX seems to fluctuate less on the +/- while the CSX will jump atleast 5-10 more +/- feet than the HCX. Its obviously the newer antennae setup that allows it to stick a bit better. In my opinion, the HCX is slightly better in everyway for a geocacher, except the case layout. The screen is smaller than the CSX, but its just as detailed with a odder resolution to fit the screen and the adjustable timer on the bright backlight is nice.

Things I like in the HCX:

battery life

push button style microSD slot

size

weight in my hand (easy to run with if needed)

price

accuracy in that tiny package

no antennae on the outside to get cought on brush/get hurt in a fall

things I don't like:

the case layout (mouse thingi)

I bought the shield for my GPS (from shieldzone) so I wouldnt have to worry about scratching the screen up like I have with my 60csx since last year. I would declare that the HCX is the best geocaching GPS availible right now, hands down. Its definately the right price and its accuracy is equal too and greater than the CSX. The only argument I can see against it would be the button interfaces. I somewhat despise them, but I really have only had it for a few days now so I guess it will just take some getting use too.

Maybe I will comeback with some pictures in the next few days while hunting some more caches.

Thanks for reading this.

GratefulHIKE

I would like to se Garmin bring back the case style of the 12 series units,they were easy to hold and operate and looked good ,were reliable too .They could slightly reduce the size.Better than that silly joy stick .Looks too easy to break to me.

Edited by Forkeye

The vista HCX's mouse is actually all very sturdy and very responsive, im sure it will hold up for years to come or they would have dropped the etrex line design completely. The only pain is the location of it and the way the pointer moves on the screen when I interact with it. Most of the time my thumb will cover the upper left portion of the screen unless I really do some manuvering, but the actual mouse thing feels awsem it will just take some time getting use to the way it moves the pointer and the way you press down on it. I think it is masterable within a month

The 60csx is much easier in that sense because it has that 4 way pad and buttons surrounding it, but that is the only advantage the 60csx has over the vista hcx, so its not worth staying with the CSX so ill just put it on the shelf.

The vista HCX's mouse is actually all very sturdy and very responsive, im sure it will hold up for years to come or they would have dropped the etrex line design completely. The only pain is the location of it and the way the pointer moves on the screen when I interact with it. Most of the time my thumb will cover the upper left portion of the screen unless I really do some manuvering, but the actual mouse thing feels awsem it will just take some time getting use to the way it moves the pointer and the way you press down on it. I think it is masterable within a month

The 60csx is much easier in that sense because it has that 4 way pad and buttons surrounding it, but that is the only advantage the 60csx has over the vista hcx, so its not worth staying with the CSX so ill just put it on the shelf.

Thanks for your review, GfH, and for putting a pointer to it in the thread I started... I'd never have found it otherwise.

My last remaining question before buying it would relate to autorouting. I didn't have that feature at all in my old MAP76S. Can you tell me whether that works equally well in either unit?

Thanks!

honestly, I dont really use the auto routing feature when on roads....I mostly use the GPS's for geocaching, if I need the directions I usually just look at the streets as I travel

I have on occasion tried it, but even when telling it I dont want to travel on highways it always directs me to the expressway, which Im not entirely sure as to why but whatever

Edited by gratefulHIKE