Software for my xda mini

I know there have been other messages about the same think, I have looked at them but need more help.

:)

I have a xda mini which i have the tomtom software for, as some have mentioned this is not ideal for geocaching, Near a road it places me on it. I know there must be other software out there, but can anyone point me in the right direction ? :antenna:

Needs to be ok to use with this phone. I have difficulty loading onto my phone as well as i don't have a card slot on my laptop so have to go a long way about loading it on. I know that with the tomtom stuff i had to make sure i had certain files in certain places !!!

Also anywhere that has a free download would be even better, as i'm not sure it will work on my phone.

<_< Rather a long message now sorry.

Thanks in advance Susan.

MM is a bit on the expensive side so if your budget is tight quite a few people have recommended Beeline GPS before. Not sure if it will work on the XDA though.

Link: http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/

I have difficulty loading onto my phone as well as i don't have a card slot on my laptop so have to go a long way about loading it on.

Look at getting yourself a card reader. I got one from eBay for about £4 delivered and it saved me a lot of hassle especially as it takes multiple cards so I can use it with my camera too :) It just needs a USB port which you should have

MM is a bit on the expensive side so if your budget is tight quite a few people have recommended Beeline GPS before. Not sure if it will work on the XDA though.

I'd also recommend giving Geoscout a try, if it will run on an XDA. It runs on Windows Mobile, so I assume it SHOULD (but that doesn't mean it WILL). That gives you the option of plotting the cache location onto mapped backgrounds.

I'd also recommend giving Geoscout a try, if it will run on an XDA. It runs on Windows Mobile, so I assume it SHOULD (but that doesn't mean it WILL). That gives you the option of plotting the cache location onto mapped backgrounds.

:) I managed to download the trail of memery map but can't seem to see any maps, no idea what i've done wrong, My cousin is getting me a copy anyway.

So which would be better memory map or geoscout ? If i can get any to run ...

Susan.

Hi susan,

My MDA Vario has the same insides as your XDA mini (mine just has a slide out keyboard as an extra).

I'm currently using Beeline on a 30 day trial and It's been amazing. I downloaded the software straight to my phone using its web browser too. I've found some free software but couldn't get it to work (from gpstopsoft.com). Beeline is also the only one that I've found with good instructions. Not tried Geoscout yet, but TB management feature looks interesting.

Karen

:) Hi all, ok i have managed to get beeline onto my phone, seems ok, just need to test it out .

Just a plain screen though ! I take it memory map is like OS maps, or am i wronge ?

Half term nearly over !!!

Susan and the girls !

I have an XDA Mini S. For Geocaching I use both Memory-Map and Cachemate. Both work perfectly well on the XDA. You're right, memory-map is just like an OS map with the added advantage that it will always show you exactly when you are using it together with a bluetooth GPS receiver.

What you need to do is to read up on paperless caching on this forum but in summary this is what you do.

Buy Memory-Map and first install it on your PC, then install it on your phone. Then you download a pocket query from the Geocache web site and load this into Memory-Map on the PC. This will show you where your nearest 500 geocaches are on the OS map. You can then transfer this to your phone and this will allow you to find the caches just using your phone, without the need to carry a normal handheld GPS. If you use cachemate you can also import the pocket query. This will give you all the information that is on the web site for each of the 500 caches that you have on memory-map. Hence you will no longer have any need to carry any paper around with you.

If you don't want the expense of Memory-Map then just buy Cachemate. You'll have no need to carry paper around with you and it will point to the cache and give you the distance just like a normal handheld GPS. The only advantage of using memory-Map is that it shows you where the cache is before you even leave the house. I've not used any other software such as Beeline so I can comment on them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by The Bouncy Boys

:) HI all, I think i'm kindof doing the paperless caching any way, as my xda has word mobile i just copy and paste into a new document on my laptop and then beam it across to my phone. My laptop and phone beam very well, but for some reason they don't like being linked with a cable. So with memory map i can tranfer a number of caches onto my phone, so i don't need to add them one at a time ?

Susan.

:) My laptop and phone beam very well, but for some reason they don't like being linked with a cable.

Had the same problem. Try this. go to the start menu. select 'settings' then the 'connections' tab. click on the 'USB to PC' icon and untick the box.

I have to do this and change the GPS connection every time I want to link my phone to the PC as both insist on using the same com port! Your GPS might not be so annoying.

Well managed to download the trail of memory map, and there a button which says ; mobile devise which then leads to install pocket navigator... sounds good, does it work ..NO ! Says failed to connect to mobile devise. aghhh !!! thought i was on to a winner .. :D

Any ideas now people ?

Susan :D

Hmm

When I did this to a PDA is was very straightforward

Can you share other stuff between the xda and your pc?

You may need to (re) load USB drivers

Check out yr manual, the xda may have to be in a particular mode to download applications

The memory map help forums are pretty good - look here

... I take it memory map is like OS maps, or am i wronge ?

Hi Susan,

I don't use it so I'm not certain, but I think although Memory-Map does use OS maps, you have to buy them separately. And they may cost (lots) more than the software itself.

Rgds, Andy

Memory Map is an OS map viewer and a route planning tool. You can buy perfectly adequate older versions on ebay and suchlike. I use MM V4, with maps from 2003 with few problems (the occasional error, footpath realigned, new road etc)

Although the intial outlay may be high, for £20-£30 you should be able to get southern England for example (ie everything south of the M4), you save in the long run - at least at the rate I destroy traditional paper maps! :D