GeoCalc is gone.

fizzymagic

Today I received a letter from some scumbag lawyer informing me that the name "GeoCalc" is trademarked by these people. So, seeing as how I am not exactly in the business of selling the app, and therefore have no money to fight such a thing, I have had to remove it.

Maybe someday I will do all the work to rename the application. Something like "BlueMarbleCalc" sounds pretty nice, huh?

Would seem to me that Fizzy's geocalc was in the public domain before the Nov 29 '04 trademark filing by BlueMarble. The wayback machine shows a geocalc page from Nov 9 of 2004.

So how about renaming it, "MyGeoCalcWasHighJacked" since they obviously couldn't come up with their own name and likely knew (or should have known) this one was taken. :antenna:

From the company that claims we had a 'depression' in the early 90’s comes this...

If you’re tired of using software built by people who don’t really care about what they do, then try out our software and give us your feedback.

Was this aimed at Fizzy?!! :) How pompas! <_<

It goes back quite a ways. But I've seen a few applications with the "GeoCalc" name.

I looked at an old one we have around, and it turns out to be Blue Marble's. Hmm. The name didn't ring a bell.

Regardless, it is quite old. You may be hard pressed to find anything older.

gc.png

I'll keep using your existing and will download fizzygeomagiccalculatorforgeostuff when it's available.

Edited by GPSlug

Today I received a letter from some scumbag lawyer informing me that the name "GeoCalc" is trademarked by these people. So, seeing as how I am not exactly in the business of selling the app, and therefore have no money to fight such a thing, I have had to remove it.

Maybe someday I will do all the work to rename the application. Something like "BlueMarbleCalc" sounds pretty nice, huh?

I have to assume they are talking about Geographic Calculator?

However I'd tell them thank you for the letter but they will have to clearly identify the product, and laws being broken as well as show the reasons the product fits the examples in the law and if there are none, relevant case law. I'd also ask that assuming that you did in fact agree with their assessment that they provide a list of product names that are simialar to yours but which they can accept. If they can't make a reasonable case I'd tell them to stuff it (nicely).

In other words make them do the work to show you there is a problem like they say. It's not enough to say there is a problem. For all you know they copied your work you have all the rights but they got the first lawer.

In the mean time I'd file for a trademark. If you get the trademark I'd tell them to stuff it. (Nicely).

It's not going to go to court unless they can win or think they can win. You can throw in the towel at any point before it goes to court.

Also since the trademark isn't the product itself you do have the option to rename your product TerraCalc.

Edit. Looks like FizzyCalc was the answer. I'd still make them pay that lawyer a lot of $ to answer your questions. No reason for them to get off the hook cheap.

I dont see what the issue is, there are a tonnnnnnnnnn of programs out there for these calculations.....from web based to open source, and why is it idiotic to claim infringement?

If you legitimately came up with the idea first and registered such an idea, then you are the one entitled to the system and not the imposter. The system is set up that way for a reason, it just sucks when your on the losing end of that system.

I dont see what the issue is, there are a tonnnnnnnnnn of programs out there for these calculations.....from web based to open source, and why is it idiotic to claim infringement?

If you legitimately came up with the idea first and registered such an idea, then you are the one entitled to the system and not the imposter. The system is set up that way for a reason, it just sucks when your on the losing end of that system.

gratefulHIKE,

I think it was the name, not the product that was the problem.