palm vs. PPC

RussellM

I just became a premium member after leeching off of geocaching.com for at least 5 years. Now that i have access to all the premium features, i'm hoping to get a pda to take full advantage of the services. I was looking at pocket pc's, but had a question about geocaching software out there. I've heard enought about palms to know they are supported and well used for geocaching. Are ppc's the same way? any programs you would recommend?

I strongly prefer the PPC myself but admit to some bias. I have seen some used ones for as low as $30 on ebay. My favorite program is the free GPXSonar. Shows all the cache details in much the same format as the online pages.

Your other 2 options are GPXView - not bad but a few less features then sonar. I just like the screen layout better with sonar.

Cachemate for the PPC is a very nice program with great feature but it does cost $8.

One advantage the PPC has over palm is you do not have to manipulate the GPX in any way before dumping it on the PPC and opening it in your favorite program.

I just became a premium member after leeching off of geocaching.com for at least 5 years. Now that i have access to all the premium features, i'm hoping to get a pda to take full advantage of the services. I was looking at pocket pc's, but had a question about geocaching software out there. I've heard enought about palms to know they are supported and well used for geocaching. Are ppc's the same way? any programs you would recommend?

You're going to get a lot of people swearing by Palm, because, I think, more people use them. This is no doubt due to cost more than anything else. I, however, completely agree with StarBrand, and for the exact same reasons. If you can afford the PPC, I'd go with it.

I guess I'm biased too,, for Palm based PDA's :)

Personally I think a Palm PDA is a better choice especially if you're using the PDA only for Geocaching. PPC's work great too expecially if you already have one then of course use it, but if you're buying one only for Geocaching then PPC's generally are larger and are harder on batteries.

I don't think there is anything a PPC can do that a Palm can't, and visa-versa, as far as primary usage for Geocaching, and both can be had used for pretty cheap.

I guess I'm biased too,, for Palm based PDA's :)

Personally I think a Palm PDA is a better choice especially if you're using the PDA only for Geocaching. PPC's work great too expecially if you already have one then of course use it, but if you're buying one only for Geocaching then PPC's generally are larger and are harder on batteries.

I don't think there is anything a PPC can do that a Palm can't, and visa-versa, as far as primary usage for Geocaching, and both can be had used for pretty cheap.

I agree with some of what each of you have Stated. I use both PPC, and Palm. I like my PPC with Cachemate PPC, and GPXSonar and use it mostly in my Cache-Mobile. The PPC can honestly do more than my Palm, but it also Costs me ALOT more. No matter how many times I use it in the Field for Geocaching I always have the Fear of breaking it or losing it. (So it stays in the Car, I read the Cache Info. before getting out of the car, and have my trusty Palm in a Hard Case in my Pocket). My Palm takes alot of Abuse and always works fine, and the Battery Life is WAY better on the Palm! Oh By the way.... PPC CAN do more than Palm, but ONLY because the Caching Programs on PPC have more User Features, that allow you to really "Slice and Dice" your Caching Info. Wheather you choose PPC or Palm they both have a small "Learning Curve", but Both work very well!! Good Luck!!! Cache On.

I've used both Palms and a PPC. Since getting a PPC the Palms just sit in the desk. I won't go back to Palm. You can find PPCs on ebay for just a few dollars more than a Palm. Keep checking Ebay and you'll find PPCs that work well for $30 or so. With the PPC for that price you'll also get color.

GPXSonar is a great program and can't beat the price - free.

GPXView works well and is nearly as good as GPXSonar but it doesn't have all the features of GPXSonar. GPXView is also free.

With either there's nothing you need to do with the .gpx file you get with you PQ other than just drop it on your PPC. There's no spinning required. Both GPXSonar and GPXView use the .gpx file just as it comes in the PQ.

Just out of friendly curiosity, I'd like to hear what sorts of tasks a PPC can do that a Palm can't.

No need to mention a specific piece of software that's only available for PPC,, because there might be another software that Palm does have available that will perform the same function :) so just list the tasks themselves.

Edited by IVxIV

I've decided to go paperless. But, beyond that decision I don't know what to do next.

I know nothing about PDAs or Pocket PCs. I know nothing of the software or hardware needed for paperless caching. I thought GSAK was the only software and that any old PDA would work. But, here I see several more software items listed.

I've searched ebay for almost two days nonstop. But, that doesn't really help me. I went there to try and find the least expensive PDA that I could find. I've been told by a few paperless cachers that any old PDA will work. But, is this correct? I don't know.

I saw several listings on ebay for a Palm TX. This one sounds good to me. But, it is also very expensive. I like that it has WiFi (which I also no nothing about) But, being able to check email or see if a new cache is in the area would be great while traveling. (I do understand that I'd have to find a wifi spot though.)

I don't think I'd ever use the PDA or Pocket PC for anything except caching and maybe the WiFi. So, maybe I should just forget the wifi and get the least expensive thing that I can find.

See, I'm back to where I started......L O S T.

Can someone just tell me what the basic needs would be....PDA with certain ports or something? cables? software?

If you go with a Pocket PC instead of Palm you won't need to buy any additional software. You can get GPXView for free. If you can find a link you can also get GPXSonar for free which has a few more features than GPXView. Other than one of those you won't need any additional software.

If you go with Palm you'll need to buy some kind of software, albeit, Cachemate is only $8.

If you go with a Pocket PC instead of Palm you won't need to buy any additional software. You can get GPXView for free. If you can find a link you can also get GPXSonar for free which has a few more features than GPXView. Other than one of those you won't need any additional software.

If you go with Palm you'll need to buy some kind of software, albeit, Cachemate is only $8.

Any thoughts on these?

Toshiba PDA pocket pc E740

Del Axim X30 pocket pc

HP iPAQ Pocket PC H4350

or

Palm m515 Hand Held PDA - Pocket PC

ebay seller says it has a wireless ip modem. But, he's never used it.

If the modem works, is this wifi? (we've already determinded that I am clueless.)

This is actually the only thing that I have found on ebay that I can actually afford. It must be pretty old.

oops edit:

found one more cheap one.

Palm Pilot m105 - PDA Organizer

Edited by GeorgiaTreasureQuester

Whatever palm/ppc you choose, look on google for the basic review (by pc mag or another unbias source) Palms that suck and have many negative features sound like a gift from god on some of the ebay sites.

While i know what i want, software is still an issue for me. This post has done a pretty good job clearing it up. I like the idea of using a pc with my laptop (windows). Either way, we will see what happens. I don't have to have a ppc now, but i'm still crusin, looking for a deal.

If you are selling one, email me.

I've used Cachemate on both Palm and PPC and have a preference for the PPC because it allows me to sort by distance from a cache the same way the GPSr does (if you are at the cache). I find it much easier to find the next cache that way than to scroll through them alphabetically. Note that I do tend to keep more waypoints in the PDA than most people (the entire state of IL is currently on my PPC because I'm working on the All County Challenge)

Any thoughts on these?

Nope, haven't used any of those specific models/makes. I use a HP IPAQ, forget the model. It's in the camper and the camper is at the shop for a couple of days.

My preference would be for a PPC if I found one at a reasonable price. Nothing wrong with Palm, I just like the PPC format better. Others prefer Palm, but those usually herald the cheaper price as the reason.

I've used Cachemate on both Palm and PPC and have a preference for the PPC because it allows me to sort by distance from a cache the same way the GPSr does (if you are at the cache). I find it much easier to find the next cache that way than to scroll through them alphabetically. Note that I do tend to keep more waypoints in the PDA than most people (the entire state of IL is currently on my PPC because I'm working on the All County Challenge)

Cachemate on Palm can do that too. When you're viewing a cache just click "record => Nearest Caches", and the sort screen pops up with the current caches coordinates, ready to sort all your other stored caches from your current location.

Or just use the "/E" Palm shortcut & you're done :huh:

f you go with Palm you'll need to buy some kind of software, albeit, Cachemate is only $8.

Not true. There are free options for Palm too. Spinner/Plucker is free option. Cachemate is nice however and worth 8 bucks.

You are correct. I should have been clearer by stating that the most recommended software for Palm is Cachemate which costs a whopping $8.

Georgia, I have used a Palm M515 for years, with Cachemate and GSAK. Battery life is great, holds way more caches than I will ever find, syncs with my PC and charges easily, can read my e-mails if I want, or I can sit and play 10-12 free games I downloaded from the net.

for more info on the basics of paperless caching (with cachemate and a Palm) Go Here...

Go Here...

Wow Thanks. This is going to come in handy.

If I ever decide which handheld to purchase, this should get me paperless in no time. I think that ebay will decide for me. I've bid on several older models, but have been outbid on about a dozen or more items. I guess when I get lucky and don't get outbid (I'm not bidding much) then I'll know which ebay has chosen for me a PPC or a Palm.

I do have another question for which I haven't come across an answer yet. Do any of the programs once they download into either the Palm or the PPC retain the detail map that is always shown on the geocaching page? Yes, I know that most cachers have purchased an extra bit of software for their GPSr that gives them driving directions to the cache. I have not (not yet, anyway) because I just haven't found the extra money to do so. So my directions are still as the crow flies.

Please reply. You all really are helping me. Thanks.

I don't believe any portion of the "detailed map" that is visible on a cache webpage is included in the downloaded GPX pocket query if that's what you mean..

If I need to see aerial detail of a location I use the free Google maps plugin on my Palm Treo 650. The maps are free, but you need a wireless data connection for it to work.

I bought a PPC 3 years ago when my old organizer crapped out. My decision was based on the fact that I run Windows on my home and office computer and the PPC is also Windows based. Besides all the caching programs, I can sync Outlook on my computer (Contacts lists and phone numbers, appointments, To DO lists, emails, as well as trasnfer Word and Excel and other files easily by copy and paste.

My PPC also has two memory slots - SD and CF. I use the CF slot to insert a GPS so I can have real time location on National Geographic 24k topo maps and also use it with Mapopolis for voice comannded raod navigation and off road caching. (I also have a Vista for the latter). I also have the aforementioned gpxsonar and can overlay all the cache icon on the ZMapopolis street maps to click and Go To navigation.

Edited by Alan2

Well, i ended up buying a ipaq 5550 off of ebay. A little bit nicer than i needed, but i've got plenty of other uses for it. It has wifi and bluetooth, so getting new cache info should be easy. With 128 mb of memory and a sd slot, i can store as many caches as there are in NY. Thanks for the advice, i'll let everyone know how the first few weeks go.

Can anyone tell me if these palms and pocket pcs connect to a Garmin GPS via USB?

Which kind of which? There are as many connection options as there are Handhelds and GPSes. A certain garmin may or may not connect to a certain PDA.

Look at your GPS, and the pocket PC you are interested in. Google something like "Connect Garmin X to Pocket PC Y". You'll probably have some luck.

I know to connect my pda to my GPS I would have to buy a $65 cable ($72 with shipping), which is not really worth it. I'd rather put the $72 towards a more updated GPS (are the tritons any good?)

It would be great if someone corrects me but sadly because they are both slave USB devices they will not play together.

I have seen a device that is supposed to allow connection of two slave devices and transfer data between them, i do not know how it works though.

Edited by stickman756

It would be great if someone corrects me but sadly because they are both slave USB devices they will not play together.

I have seen a device that is supposed to allow connection of two slave devices and transfer data between them, i do not know how it works though.

Alas, you are correct. One needs to play host. Your hope in connecting a handheld GPS to a palm lies in older, serial gps units. My eTrex Legend I was given last year still uses a serial cable. pcables.com sells many serial-usb cables that report to let a palm and GPS communicate, but as the one for my combination is $74, AND uses the Palm's battery to power the serial-usb converter's electronics....I didn't buy it. They do have a good return policy, so you could try it, and if it doesnt work, return it.

Well, i ended up buying a ipaq 5550 off of ebay. A little bit nicer than i needed, but i've got plenty of other uses for it. It has wifi and bluetooth, so getting new cache info should be easy. With 128 mb of memory and a sd slot, i can store as many caches as there are in NY. Thanks for the advice, i'll let everyone know how the first few weeks go.

RussellM,

It is highly possible that we were bidding against each other on the ipaq 5550. Funny....except that if we did, you won. :)