Newbie, needs help using the GPSmap 60CSx

johngtmo

I am new at this.

I entered the coordinates for the cache.

I got into my car, turned the mathingy on, acquired several satellites.

I was hoping the machine will tell me if I am moving away from or approaching the target.

Nothing was moving on the map screen. No tracks, not even a trace.

I know I need to do something so that the mathingy will show my track. But what?

Please help.

I spent several hours this past Saturday trying to get to the target. But with nothing moving, the Map not showing my movement I returned home disappointed. I know I can have fun with Geocahing. But I need some help.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Johngtmo[/font]

I will take a shot at this as I own a 76CSx and 60CSx which have the same functionalities. To begin with when you enter the coordinates you should save them as a Waypoint or Geocache preferably with a name or some title by which you will recognize.

Then you will press the FIND button and select either Waypoint or Geocache depending on what you saved it as. Then you can search for the title by name, cover the name with the cursor marker, then press select. Then in the bottom right corner of the screen you will see the GOTO choice which you should select. Move to the compass screen and it should point in the direction you should go and depending on the other information displayed at the top of the screen, it may give you the DISTANCE, ETA, etc. You may change what is displayed on this screen by pressing the MENU key and choosing to change the items displayed.

I hope that is not too much information at once and that I have adequately answered your question.

One of the best things you can do is learn to use your GPS on a smaller scale like in your yard. I recommend sitting with the manual for a few hours and just play with the GPS to learn how it functions then mark some spots in your yard and learn to use the features before heading out into the big wide open.

The 60CSx was (and still is) my first GPSr. It will serve you well. That being said, it is also a highly technical tool that has a myriad of functions. I know everyone's in a hurry to run out and find that first cache (and trust me when I say that after finding the first, you won't have time for anything else) but reading the manual really is essential if you're going to get the most out of this purchase.

Enjoy!

DCC

I use the 60 CSx, and I love it. Here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Go to the user manual and learn how to enter a waypoint, and how to find a waypoint.

(2) Mark a waypoint at the front door of your house/apartment building (using the Mark button on the front of the unit).

(3) Walk a couple of hundred yards down the street from your house/apartment building, and tell the unit to find the waypoint you just marked. (Hit the Find button, select Waypoint, and select your waypoint from the liat that appears.) You should see (in daylight) a black triangle on a yellow background in the center of the screen. This is the map page. There should be a pink line running away from the triangle.

(4) Hit the Out button on your unit to zoom out until you can see the other end of the pink line. That's where your front door is.

(5) Hit the Page button on your unit. The display should change to show what looks like a compass, with a red arrow. This is the compass page. But the arrow doesn't point north. It points to your waypoint; in this case, your front door.

(6) Now, walk back to your front door and watch what the compass page does. Hit the Quit button to go back to the map page, and watch what the map page does as you walk back to your front door.

That should be enough to get you started. Also, note that you don't have to enter geocache coordinates into the 60 CSx manually. You can download them from Geocaching.com and use the software that came with your 60 CSx to transfer the waypoints to your unit. The user manual explains how to do that.

I will take a shot at this as I own a 76CSx and 60CSx which have the same functionalities. To begin with when you enter the coordinates you should save them as a Waypoint or Geocache preferably with a name or some title by which you will recognize.

Then you will press the FIND button and select either Waypoint or Geocache depending on what you saved it as. Then you can search for the title by name, cover the name with the cursor marker, then press select. Then in the bottom right corner of the screen you will see the GOTO choice which you should select. Move to the compass screen and it should point in the direction you should go and depending on the other information displayed at the top of the screen, it may give you the DISTANCE, ETA, etc. You may change what is displayed on this screen by pressing the MENU key and choosing to change the items displayed.

I hope that is not too much information at once and that I have adequately answered your question.

Thanks for the pointers.

I did entered the coordinates as a way point.

I somehow got the CSx to show my tracks, my movement. I finally today got to the way point/cash. It was late in the afternoon, so I decided i will repeat the route tomorrow and actually try to locate the cach.

Thanks again.

Now, another question.

I do not know how to enter it( the coordinates) as A Cache.

I read the manual.

Thanks

One of the best things you can do is learn to use your GPS on a smaller scale like in your yard. I recommend sitting with the manual for a few hours and just play with the GPS to learn how it functions then mark some spots in your yard and learn to use the features before heading out into the big wide open.

Thanks.

I will try ur suggestion tomorrow.

Johngtmo

The 60CSx was (and still is) my first GPSr. It will serve you well. That being said, it is also a highly technical tool that has a myriad of functions. I know everyone's in a hurry to run out and find that first cache (and trust me when I say that after finding the first, you won't have time for anything else) but reading the manual really is essential if you're going to get the most out of this purchase.

Enjoy!

DCC

Thanks for the reply

John gtmo

I use the 60 CSx, and I love it. Here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Go to the user manual and learn how to enter a waypoint, and how to find a waypoint.

(2) Mark a waypoint at the front door of your house/apartment building (using the Mark button on the front of the unit).

(3) Walk a couple of hundred yards down the street from your house/apartment building, and tell the unit to find the waypoint you just marked. (Hit the Find button, select Waypoint, and select your waypoint from the liat that appears.) You should see (in daylight) a black triangle on a yellow background in the center of the screen. This is the map page. There should be a pink line running away from the triangle.

(4) Hit the Out button on your unit to zoom out until you can see the other end of the pink line. That's where your front door is.

(5) Hit the Page button on your unit. The display should change to show what looks like a compass, with a red arrow. This is the compass page. But the arrow doesn't point north. It points to your waypoint; in this case, your front door.

(6) Now, walk back to your front door and watch what the compass page does. Hit the Quit button to go back to the map page, and watch what the map page does as you walk back to your front door.

That should be enough to get you started. Also, note that you don't have to enter geocache coordinates into the 60 CSx manually. You can download them from Geocaching.com and use the software that came with your 60 CSx to transfer the waypoints to your unit. The user manual explains how to do that.

Thank you. I learned a few tricks from your reply.

I thought the arrow points north.

Now I know.

I thank you

Johngtmo

I use the same GPSr myself. Do you have any maps installed yet or just the preloaded basemap?

As others have stated you have to enter the waypoint first. THe easiest way to do that manually is to push the "Mark: button first, which brings up the coodinates page and gives it the first available waypoint number. Now you can scroll around the page and change litterally everytjing, including the icon, read your manual for full details. Once you have it entered hit find, then select waypoint, Geocache, or whatever you entered it as and hit enter. This will bring up a list of the closest matches. If your waypoint is to far away to show in that list, hit menu and choose "find by name" and type in the name or number. [to get the numbers back up hit the arrow key at the bottom]. ONce you find it, select it, hit enter, then choose "Follow Road" or "Offroad" .

Offroad will give you the "as the crow flies" route and is best, obviously, if you are leaving the road.

However if you have to drive to a trailhead first then select "Follow Road" and follow the onscreen directions as best you can, remembering that it is easily fooled, mine wanted me to drive through the lake to reach the other side. When you are ready to go offroad hit menu and have it recalculate the route, then when asked select "offroad" and hit enter. If it gives you the map you can use it if you have a long hike ahead but when you get closer you'll want to switch to the compass screen and follow the pointer.

You'll also want to practice calbrateing the compass for best results, it DOES make a difference, and when it says rotate slowly don't go TO slow or it will fail, I'd guess it takes about five seconds or so to rotate it twice at the right speed.

If yours has the bug that causes the red pointer to disappear recalibrating the compass has always restored my pointer.

If by some strange coincedence you live near me I'd gladly show you how it all works, if not just ask back for more help, I don't check these forums much but the PM works.

Now, another question.

I do not know how to enter it( the coordinates) as A Cache.

I read the manual.

Thanks

Well, you are a quick learner. To answer the question above it is been suggested by some others that you spend some time in the manual to learn how to enter Waypoints. Once you do that and retrieve the waypoint screen you will notice it has an ICON in the upper left corner of the screen. To change it to a CACHE ICON all you need to do is toggle to that section and cover with the cursor. Press ENTER and that should bring up another menu that shows all the ICONS available in your unit. On the second row of my selections under the heading OUTDOORS is the ICON for a GEOCACHE. Then when you find the cache and press the FOUND button it changes it automatically to the open cache and places it on your calendar. Neat huh?

Hope that helps with this question.

can u download coordinates to the gpsmap 60csx? or even type them in?

Wow, an old post brought back. The answer to your question is yes. To manually enter coordinates, just hit the mark button, then scroll to the coordinates section, and update to the coordinates you want. This is also the way to mark sites for future hides, trail heads, parked car, updatd coordinates for geocaches, etc.

To use the send to GPS function, you'll need to become a PM. Another option is to use your map source program and download the geocaches as .loc files and the open them onto map source. From here, you can send them to your CSX. Remember your unit does not support paperless geocaching in the true sense of paperless. The are workarounds but I never liked them and use my iPhone along with my CSX for the paperless aspect of caching.

Hope this helps.

Edited to fix iPad autocorrect

Edited by ao318

Here's another post on how to enter as POI.

POI

or

a video from Headhardhat part one of two:

I downloaded the different icons of geocaching like not found, found, virtuals etc. onto my Csx and use them as waypoints with Gsak and icon macro. With %name,%hint,%size% last 4 found,days from last found terrain and diff.

Edited by icku