My uber GPS mount.

Sirrus123

Kinda reminds me what one of the kids made when we did the egg drop in middle school. It's been a while, but I don't think his egg made it.

I am sure it must be secure, but it does not look that way. It made me think about all the money I have put into my GPSr and mapping software, but I've been too cheap to buy a bicycle mount. Sure, it's another expense, but it's sure a heckuva lot cheaper than a new unit.

I think I'll order one next payday.

it actually fits in there pretty snuggly.

i built the mount around the GPS and then fastened to my bike with the GPS in there.

I then took my bike into the grass, shook the heck out of my bike, and it didn't fall out.

but for extra fastening when i'm riding around, i think i'm going to put to little peices of tape on either side and the back.

Just in case of disaster, why don't you use your lanyard as a safety line?
An excellent idea, just be sure the lanyard is cinched up enough that the GPSr won't hang in your spokes. I don't think taking a header at the same time your GPSr gets turned into hundreds of tiny pieces of plastic, rubber and metal will improve your day any. Not to mention a broken spoke on your bike...

Back to my initial reaction when I read the original post:

Is this for real, or are you trolling? :)

Just in case of disaster, why don't you use your lanyard as a safety line?

i wrap my GPS's lanyard around my handlebars when i bike, and i'll certify that it works very well as a safety line :)

using a short armstrap lanyard would work best for this, to prevent it from swinging and hitting your bike.

My new eXplorist 500 gets here on Monday to replace my dead eXplorist 400 which died a horrible death while I was out caching one day.

The cause of death? Swinging on a lanyard and smashing into my bike, shattering the screen.

Lesson of the day: $24.99 for a bike mount is a lot less than the $160 I paid for my new GPSr... :)

All told though, the paper/tape mount looks like it is working fairly well for you. Maybe a version 2.0 in the future made with sturdier materials? :blink:

Edit for smileys...

Edited by irchriscdk