Sensitivity/Reception

JohnTee

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend with it's little bitty patch antenna. Losing signal in the woods is getting annoying and I'm intersted in a small upgrade.

Looking at the new 'H Series' vs. something basic like a Garmin 60 . . .

Multiple other features aside, does anyone have an idea how the 'H Series' with the internal patch antenna compares to the 60 Series with the Quad Helix antenna when it comes to getting down and dirty in the tree cover?

Thanks!

JohnTee

The 60x series uses a SiRF III chip set. The Etrex H series uses a MediaTech chip set. From the side-by-side comparisons I've seen the units are pretty comparable. The chip in the H series seems to draw a little less power, but may have a bit more drift when the user is standing still. Garmin firmware may solve that issue.

From what I can tell, there is much less difference in antenna performance with these high-sensitivity receivers. That having been said, when reception is spotty, I would still hold the etrex H model flat, and the 60x with its quad helix antenna vertically. Both of the units will greatly out-perform "Old Blue".

It is not so much the type of antennea as its size that makes a difference. The old Etrex did have a too small patch. The new H series has a patch (I assume bigger) and a new high sensitvity chip. It has a high sensitive receiver, although unlike other previous Garmin units, the high sensitive receiver chip is not a Sirf product, rather a MediaTek 3. Sirf is a California company, Media Tek is Taiwanese. I assume you are speaking of the 60c "X" series. These have the Sirf chip. From the reviews I have seen, yes the Etrex H are comparible under tree cover. The Media Tek may even be a bit better (in the opinion of one review I read). But the Media Tek does have some current issues, such as not recording movment under 2 miles an hour.

I personally have a 60CX and like it. All probably mostly a matter of personal choice.

I have the Vista HCx. A coworker has the 60CSx. In side by side comparisons we have the same results.

We have done a number of comparisons and the result is the same.

I like the size of the eTrex and the screen is bright and crisp.

I have been is some heavy tree cover and the Vista HCx has performed perfectly.

Batter life is as stated and I have to believe that just like with computers (which is really what these are) there are improvements all the time. I'm betting the Vista has a faster processor that uses less power.

Go play with both and make you decision. I don't think there is a bad choice either way.

Thanks for all the replies. Having had poor reception under tree cover with the eTrex Legend, I wondered how the new eTrex 'H' Series was going to do with a patch antenna. I was actually looking at VERY simple in the other direction with the GPS 60, with its Quad Helix antenna.

Nobody that I know of in my area has an 'H' Series; one guy has a GPS 60, a couple the GPSMap 60CSx and there are several Magellan's. I won't have much in the way of a chance to do any in-the-field, side-by-side comparisons between the eTrex 'H' Series or any of the 60 series, so I'll be dependent on the info I glean here and read on each of the units.

Thanks for all the input!

JohnTee

Thanks for all the replies. Having had poor reception under tree cover with the eTrex Legend, I wondered how the new eTrex 'H' Series was going to do with a patch antenna. I was actually looking at VERY simple in the other direction with the GPS 60, with its Quad Helix antenna.

Nobody that I know of in my area has an 'H' Series; one guy has a GPS 60, a couple the GPSMap 60CSx and there are several Magellan's. I won't have much in the way of a chance to do any in-the-field, side-by-side comparisons between the eTrex 'H' Series or any of the 60 series, so I'll be dependent on the info I glean here and read on each of the units.

Thanks for all the input!

JohnTee

From everything I've heard, the reception of the eTrex 'H' series and the 60 'x' series are pretty similar. Both are high-sensitity receivers, although from different manufacturers.

But you seem to be looking at the older (non-x) 60 series. So if you'd like to see how the eTrex H compares to the 60, maybe you could talk to the local guys with the plain 60 and the 60CSx, and see how they compare side-by-side. If the 60 CSx is noticeably better than the 60 (and I bet it is), then the eTrex H is likely to be a lot better than the 60 as well.

If the 60 CSx is noticeably better than the 60 (and I bet it is), then the eTrex H is likely to be a lot better than the 60 as well.

I've performed side by side tests between the 60CS and the 60CSx. In canyons and under trees, the non-x 60CS has trouble holding a lock where the 60CSx had no trouble at all. I'd be willing to bet that the Etrex H models will easilly outperform the non-x 60 models.

ive owned the 60csx for a year now, and I purchased the vista hcx last week. The reception is the exact same, except the HCX locks onto the signal better with less fluctuations in 90% of the situations I have been in when comparing it to the 60csx.

The only thing I dont like about the vista hcx is the button layout, but that's something im sure I will get use too.

everyother aspect of the HCX is nearly flawless for such a small package and such a great price, definately get the screen protector...I think its only $13 extra

Edited by gratefulHIKE

Bought a Vista HCx to upgrade my old blue earlier this month. My brother has a Venture HCx and it was able to hold a signal when my Ol' Blue wouldn't even where the canopy opened up. So I did the upgrade to something with a elect. compass and barometric altimeter. I couldn't be happier!!! Love the color screen, longer battery life and familiar button positioning. HCx has performed well and as expected. It was the registering of the Vista HCx that I learned about the geocaching and decided to take a look. So glad I did! My brother bought a 60Cx, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare. 60Cx is a little heavier and larger if your backpacking (which is what we have been doing). Vista HCx claims a better battery life too.

I'm certainly happy with my Vista HCx! I only wish that Garmin would let me keep my map unlocks for the new unit!