Creating Custom Travel Bug

JeepHed

Hello, I'm completely new to this so forgive me if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. I did read through the FAQ's but I couldn't find an answer.

I wanted to create my own Travel Bug or GeoCoin and be able to track it at geocaching.com. Is there a way to regester an item I made so I can track it?

Thanks for your help.

Hello, I'm completely new to this so forgive me if I'm asking this in the wrong forum. I did read through the FAQ's but I couldn't find an answer.

I wanted to create my own Travel Bug or GeoCoin and be able to track it at geocaching.com. Is there a way to regester an item I made so I can track it?

Thanks for your help.

If you just want to create one or two items, the best thing to do is to buy travel bugs. I believe Geoswag has them for $3.97 each.

You can attach the tag, or use the tag number on the item.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no way to register something I wanted to use? I have to use a tag?

If you just want to create one or two items, the best thing to do is to buy travel bugs. I believe Geoswag has them for $3.97 each.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no way to register something I wanted to use? I have to use a tag?

I could be wrong, and I'm sure that people will chime in if I am :)

but, no you can't register your own number. Groundspeak issues numbers for Coins and TBs. We don't get to give them numbers that we want. So to register something, you would have to use a number that they provide.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure that people will chime in if I am :)

but, no you can't register your own number. Groundspeak issues numbers for Coins and TBs. We don't get to give them numbers that we want. So to register something, you would have to use a number that they provide.

Joni is correct, however if you wanted to use the tracking number from the TB you could inscribe the TB# onto your item and not use the actual tag itself. The item would be considered a travel bug and have the generic TB icon. <--- I am hoping that I make sense :)

Joni is correct, however if you wanted to use the tracking number from the TB you could inscribe the TB# onto your item and not use the actual tag itself. The item would be considered a travel bug and have the generic TB icon. <--- I am hoping that I make sense :)

Keep in mind that part of what makes TBs recognizable to others is the TB tag itself. With the number of TBs that already go missing because of ignorance (for lack of a better word right now) about what they are, you increase those odds by just putting it's number on another item.

Food for thought.

When you purchase a travel bug tag, you get two tags. An original and a copy tag with the same number, in case the first one goes missing along the way. You attach the tag to your hitchhiker item, and set it free.

You're buying the tracking number with that, which allows you to follow the movements of the item from cache to cache to cacher to event to cacher to cache and so on....

Coins are done in bigger batches, and the pinned threads at the top of the geocoin forums and the travel bug forums have tons of information on both.

You can't produce just one coin, however you can buy one trackable coin from someone and watch that move. The hard part is deciding which coin you'd want, and that's where the addiction begins :)

Since this is more of a travel bug question, and not a geocoin question, I'll be merging both of your threads together into the Travel Bug forums now.

When you purchase a travel bug tag, you get two tags. An original and a copy tag with the same number, in case the first one goes missing along the way. You attach the tag to your hitchhiker item, and set it free.

You're buying the tracking number with that, which allows you to follow the movements of the item from cache to cache to cacher to event to cacher to cache and so on....

Coins are done in bigger batches, and the pinned threads at the top of the geocoin forums and the travel bug forums have tons of information on both.

You can't produce just one coin, however you can buy one trackable coin from someone and watch that move. The hard part is deciding which coin you'd want, and that's where the addiction begins :(

Since this is more of a travel bug question, and not a geocoin question, I'll be merging both of your threads together into the Travel Bug forums now.

Hey, thanks for all the information. I appreciate you all taking the time to break it down for me.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can create own "TB" and register and track but on <unapproved link removed by moderator> It is very simple: register "goekret", print label with registered tracking number, attach label to for example a puppet and put to cache. It is all and you can track

Edited by Eartha