Don't go to Tiger GPS.com

muffy53

I purchased a Garmin unit over the phone and the unit they sent me was worth $50.00 less than what I ordered and billed for. I got return instructions and was assured that I would be reimbersed for the shipping costs.

Guess what - - I have been told that the restocking fee would be waived (something I did'nt order) but they will not refund the purchase price.

Think twice before going to these folks!

I purchased a Garmin unit over the phone and the unit they sent me was worth $50.00 less than what I ordered and billed for. I got return instructions and was assured that I would be reimbersed for the shipping costs.

Guess what - - I have been told that the restocking fee would be waived (something I did'nt order) but they will not refund the purchase price.

What do you mean "they will not refund the purchase price"?

I had good luck with TigerGPS (one puchase). On the other hand, Preferred Camera completely screwed me by lying about availability.

All these companies are a crapshoot.

I had good luck with TigerGPS (one puchase). On the other hand, Preferred Camera completely screwed me by lying about availability.

I ordered one thing and they sent something else. Thet will not refund my purchase price. It stinks. I had been on the phone talking to Zack for 40 minutes, then Mike, who politely hung up on me. Why would a reputable business act like that.

Okay, I posted this in one of the other duplicate threads, but I will post again and clarify:

I'm not sure I see the problem.

You ordered unit A

They sent unit B

They offer to take back unit B

All fine so far. A bit incovenient for you, but all okay.

Now, you say they won't refund your purchase price. But you don't mention:

I am assuming that they are wanting to send you the actual unit you ordered. If they can send it to you, then you pay for it. That is the way it works. If they unit is backordered or something, then they can't charge you. Most states that I am aware of can't bill until the item ships. If they don't have it, then you get a full refund.

Now, it sounds like you are trying to cancel your original order after they sent you the product (although the wrong one). If this is the case, then they certainly can charge you the restocking fee, but I doubt they would in this case.

I ordered the wrong unit from them accidentally. This occurred on a Friday night. I got ahold of someone on Monday morning, and the unit had already been shipped. They gave me an RMA#, as soon as the "wrong" unit came it, I turned it around, and they sent me the correct unit, billing only the difference to my Paypal account. I could not have been happier with them.

I ordered one thing and they sent something else. Thet will not refund my purchase price. It stinks. I had been on the phone talking to Zack for 40 minutes, then Mike, who politely hung up on me. Why would a reputable business act like that.

Sorry, but I am still trying to understand what you are saying.

You ordered an item. You paid. You got something else.

You returned the incorrect item.

They must have refunded your payment (minus any non-refundable shipping or restocking fees).

Is this not correct?

When you say your "purchase price" do you mean your total cost (purchase price plus shipping)?

Tiger GPS is a sister company to Tiger Direct.com. I have bought many computer components from them in the past. I will not be doing any more business with them at any price.

The warranty for their name brand stuff is non-existent and their products are garbage. They essentially have NO customer service even though you can call them and wait (and wait, and wait) so when you have a problem, you're on your own. No more of my coin for these crooks.

If you used a credit card, dispute the charge with the card company - call them as soon as you get the statement, or sooner. If the purchase was as you described, the credit card will probably not bill you for it. Either way, you don't have to pay the charge while the credit card company is resolving the dispute.

fwiw, I recently purchased a Vista HCx from Offroute.com and had excellent service.

Edited by jmundinger

I've ordered two GPS from tigergps. my first one was a legendC about two years ago and I didn't have any issues. the second unit, a magellan explorist 400 was defective and had to be returned, They charged me a restocking fee on a defective product....

As a replacement to the defective explorist 400 I ordered a 60cx. they sent it back to me with free shipping, which was about the same price as the restocking fee. overall I was happy with the transaction but probably won't order from them again.

I've have better luck with http://www.gpscity.com/

only issue I had with them was I ordered a lowrance ifinder H20, their website showed it as in stock. I got an email that the item was back ordered, so I called to see how long I would have to wait. they said they probably wouldn't have it for over a month! so I told them to cancel my order.

Tiger GPS is a sister company to Tiger Direct.com. I have bought many computer components from them in the past. I will not be doing any more business with them at any price.

Could you prove this? I think you are incorrect. TigerDirect (I have had no problems with one of their brick-and-mortar locations) is based in Florida. Tiger GPS is based in New York and uses a Yahoo storefront. If they were really related companies, I don't think Tiger GPS would be using a Yahoo storefront and their site would look more like TigerDirect's.

I haven't had any problems with Tiger GPS and the exchange I did went flawlessly. Good communication through e-mail and on the phone. I think the OP isn't telling the whole story. One thing I'd like to know is which units were involved in the confusion.

The warranty for their name brand stuff is non-existent and their products are garbage. They essentially have NO customer service even though you can call them and wait (and wait, and wait) so when you have a problem, you're on your own. No more of my coin for these crooks.

I've bought from TigerDirect several times, with no problems. I think your expectation of customer service is a bit unrealistic. There is a saying in retail: "Price, quality, service--pick any two." If you go for the lowest price, you have to be prepared to give up either quality or service.

Even with the rock-bottom vendors, I have never had trouble getting a defective unit replaced, other than a long wait on the phone for an RMA. But that's the crapshoot you take when going for the cheapest price.

If you want hand-holding of any sort, you are going to have to pay for it. If you change your mind about what you bought, don't expect a refund without paying a restocking fee.

Could you prove this? I think you are incorrect. TigerDirect (I have had no problems with one of their brick-and-mortar locations) is based in Florida. Tiger GPS is based in New York and uses a Yahoo storefront. If they were really related companies, I don't think Tiger GPS would be using a Yahoo storefront and their site would look more like TigerDirect's.

I also do not think TigerGPS and Tiger Direct are related. At first I was confused by the similar names, but I could find not evidence online that they were sister companies. On the one hand, if they are sister companies, why would they both sell GPS units? On the other hand, why wouldn't one of them force the other to stop using "Tiger" in their name, to avoid confusion?

My bad; I was quoting word of mouth and I shouldn't have.

As for my expectations of service; imajeep, I would expect a company to honor their warranty and to repair/replace a defective laptop that is within warranty. I don't see that as unrealistic. When I pay 100% of what they are asking, I expect to receive 100% of what they are offering.

But I'm off topic with the wrong company. My apologies.