Log book etiquette?

kabads

We have just come back from a lovely cache, but found the cache log to be full to bursting. People have been writing on the front cover, as the back cover is full. However, when we flicked through the book, it was clear that there was still loads of space on a lot of the pages. It seems that most cachers were turning to a new page for their visit and only recording a couple or a few lines. Then, the next cacher would come along and do the same.

Is it important to cachers to record their visit in a chronological order? If so, how do we promote common sense to prevent books needing to be replaced on a regular basis? The cache itself was quite a way from a main road, so the owner has a fair walk to replace the log book.

In the old days, at least in my area, it was common to write your log on a separate page, and most people wrote enough on the page to use most of it.

In the past few years, I've noticed that a majority of logs are simply name and date, and people fit multiple names on each page.

Therefore, I make a point of writing my log on a separate page. It's too bad that people don't write more than TFTC and sign their name.

Jamie

If I see someone write in their online log that that log book is getting full, I might try to bring a new notebook when I go to a cache.

You could also post a "needs maintenance" log so the cache owner will see it.

As for logs, I sign the next available space, wheter it be a new page, the back of a page, or the second half of a page.

Cheers

It's too bad that people don't write more than TFTC and sign their name.

Jamie

True. I hope that the location that I've picked for my caches are enjoyable enough to give finders more to say than "Thanks". I'm disappointed when that's all I get.

But to say on track - I sign the first available space to avoid wasting space as you've mentioned.

As to the question of logging in chronological order, seems that would be the preferred way. That is what most people try for. However, if the log is full I will go through and find a clear spot anywhere in it to log.

If I have to do that I will mention in the on line log that I had to do so.

It's interesting to see the different responses from "old timers" like Jaime and newer cachers.

It used to just seem wrong to write on someone else's page. That was their log, their page and you didn't dare add anything to it.

I still have a hard time adjusting to that and I'll turn to my own page from time to time. But then again, sometimes I need a whole page. :huh:

It's too bad that people don't write more than TFTC and sign their name.

As a cache finder, I tend to not write much in the logbook at all for a few reasons:

1. Don't want to take up too much space

2. If I'm out with kids, I don't have a lot of time to just sit there.

3. I don't want to be real obvious to muggles.

4. Conditions (weather, location) don't always present good situations for extended logging.

However, I do try my best to write more than just TFTC in the online log. I try to add info about what was going on, how we found it, anything interesting involved, as well as info about the cache condition.

As a cache owner, this is what I'd like my finders to do for a number of reasons:

1. I have to change the log less often.

2. When I am working on my caches, I rarely have time to look through the whole log for stories.

3. I love to get the emails with interesting stories about when/how finders located my cache.

Obviously your millage may vary, but that's what I do and what I'd like to my finders to do.

If pages are skipped in a log book, I still look for the most recent post in the back and sign after that. If a book is pretty full, I'll look for space within and post it in my log that I signed between this cacher and that cacher who were there on x date. :(

On the other hand, I've had people post on at least one or two occasions that the logs in two of my caches were getting full and needed replacing. When I've gone out there to replace the logs, I find that the first side is full. Do people not like signing the back sides? :( So now I wait until more than one person has mentioned that a log is full.

It's interesting to see the different responses from "old timers" like Jaime and newer cachers.

I'm going to buck the trend (I'm not as old as Jaime but just a few months newer than CYBret).

When I find a cache, I'll flip through the book to see when it was last found, maybe flip through the names, but I rarely read anything extensive. I'm usually swatting bugs and want to get moving again. So I write my log for someone like me. I tend to only include little bits of info someone standing there in the woods would be interested in. If there's something in the area I want to call a finder's attention to, I'll note that in the book. If something especially interesting happened on the way in, I'll note it in a few short words. If I'm far from home, I'll mention that and include my home town. Other than that it's the date and my signature.

When I get home, I write the details. There, I'm writing for everyone -- hider, other finders, potential finders, curious muggles and lurkers. I think I write pretty good online logs. Even if I didn't like a cache at all, I give a lot of detail about my search. I often surprise myself at how much I've written about some caches. At home is also where I read what people have written about the cache.

All that aside, from a practical standpoint, brief physical logs, sharing pages, and writing on both sides are practices that save trees as well as reducing the maintenance visits the owner has to make to replace the logbook.

I was pointed in this direction, so I thought I might respond.

I have no set MO in how I sign a paper log. If the weather is poor, I like to minimize the elemental exposure and make it short and sweet.

If it's been a particularly poignant find, and I have the opportunity, I like to spend some time reflecting on the experience and take care to expend a little more word-effort at the cache site.

Often times, though, I date, and sign my name, often including those of the people I've brought with me... note what it's like at the cache site (ex: gorgeous and hellaciously windy!) and save the verbosity for the online log.

I recently revisited a cache I found a couple of years ago, and noticed the log book was still the same one I'd signed originally... my notes were on the first page (new log book as the previous had been stolen). My log at the site wasn't quite like the one I posted online:

We were missing our third musketeer today, which was kind of sad. Such a great trip and camaraderie the last time we were out here... It was great this time, but I was missing TotemLake!

The weather was beautiful the first time we were here in November, so it was fabulous to return on a more outstanding day than the first. Wow.

We didn't even bother to bring the GPSr's this go round since we knew our way to and from the location and with knowing where it wasn't re-hidden, we found it post-haste.

I sat in the doorway, in the sun while I wrote in the new log book and just enjoyed the peace and quiet of this area.

Thanks so much for continuing to take us to areas like this, Ironman - I have enjoyed each and every cache you've placed since starting this game. They have all been wonderful!

I also made note of our return visit in the same log book, and left a few more words of kindness.

I guess my thoughts are that as long as you let the cache owner know, somehow, whether in your paper log, your online log, or in an email that you thought their cache was the stuff dreams are made of... then that's the best thing you can do.

I've had many a conversation with other geocachers regarding how you can tell if certain cachers liked a cache (or not) based on their 'logging' style. A one-liner date, TFTC, or something similar generally means it just wasn't their cuppa. The ones that leave the long stories, where everything good is quite an adventure, are the kinds of (online) logs some of us hiders really enjoy!

michelle

Some caches have folks write on one side of the page and once that page is full, turn the page and sign the "front" of the next page. After the end of the book is reached, the reverse.

I loathe "scroll" logs comon in Bison micro containers. They take so long to unroll and re-roll. 35mm can logs can ge yards long it seems.

Some, when there's not much room, I sign just RATT stars1_5.gif. Otherwise, Rattlebars - 10-28-07 14:00hrs.

If it's an FTF for me I put a little "stardust" in it (glitter in the shape of a star).

RATTLEBARS

I'm usually pretty brief in the log. My printing is horrible and my script is even worse. I can at least scrape the whiteout off the screen when I'm typing out my log.

I rememeber the old days when putting your name on a separate page was the norm. It was also the norm that maintenance was done on caches by finders and owners alike. These days you're likely to get anything but an archival upon a Needs Maitenance post and the geolitter is left to rot.

I used to use a new page for my signature because I usually added something in the log with it. But these days I'm brief and I'll use the same page with another if there is room. The on-line log is where its at these days when I can sit (and passout) in the comfort of my easy chair musing over the events of the day.

As a cache owner, i like it when each person uses a new page unless they only write a few lines. As a cacher, if there lots of room ill use that page but most often i have a new page as logs are a few inches log for me.

EDIT to mention it really bugs me when people use the back side of the log. I really would rather spend double the money and have no writing on the packs of pages.

Edited by Lotho

I have always looked at the paper log as proof I visited the cache. I just log name and date; on the rare occasion I trade or pick up a travel item, I note it. I save the more verbose entries for the online log. My head is a lot clearer sitting at the computer with the celebratory beverage of choice nearby! I figure I'm doing everyone a favor. I can barely read my own writing half the time, and when I"m sitting on a rock, or standing up, writing in a book the size of a pack of cigarettes, with a pencil with a lousy point, or a pen that's barely working, or on damp paper ... well, legibility goes downhill quickly. I always try sign at the end of the chronological list if possible. If there's room at the bottom of the page, I'll use it.

I have never hidden a cache (only started looking for the ones here a few weeks ago, my dad and his search and rescue team have a set of private caches set up that I have found also) so I have a question for those who have caches hidden... do you have a convenient way to print the entries written online or are you stuck having to copy and paste to get it should you want a more complete log? I am wondering as it seems that alot of people are commenting they prefer to do the "writing" online as opposed to in the caches log book.

Don't you think it's kind of difficult to add details to a micro log? Name and date....keep it simple. The log it proof that you were there and the online log is for describing your experience.

Same for the small, regular, and large containers with logs. Name, date, and TBs/Coins traded. For these, use the next available space to prevent waste of pages and excess user maintenance. Plus, the shorter amount of time spent at a cache location, you minimize two obvious things:

1. Muggle attention

2. Elements destroying the log (how many times have you opened a cache and seen a soaking wet log book??) Sure...some damage may be due to inappropriate containers, but you can't discount the length of time exposed to rain, right?

Log: Name and date (possibly coins)

Online: Adventure and experience

V/R,

Dan

Team_DDNight

I'm thinking the DDNight only caches in the rain and does mocros mainly.

There is nothing like sitting back and reading the logbook in the sun. Atleast in the old days when people wrote in them. I try to leave a good description of my time searching for the cache in the log and have taken a front and back of a page sometimes. I have a few logbooks at home that I like to just sit down with and read. Sitting at the computer reading those same logs is not the same. Even if I printed out the logs it would not be the same. Nothing can beat reading that little hand written treasure.

The only time I do the Name, Time, Date and Trade types are when it is raining for the cache took me longer than I planned and I have to be somewhere shortly. When I have to do that though, I feel that I'm jipping the cache owner.

Being a cache owner myself I know that we do this as a hobby and that not everyone (myself included) has alot of money and time to spend on replacement logbooks, especially as a weatherproof logbook can cost quite a lot more that a cheap one! That's why I always try to use the first available space, I often draw a line under the last log and use the bottom of the same page, it saves paper and cache maintenance after all.