Flash Mob Caches

AtwellFamily

I see a number of events in the next month that are associated with a Flash Mob. Meaning to log the event you have to be at the location during the 15min the event (Flash Mob) is held.

How is Groundspeak letting this happen when Jeremy has said this in the past:

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Jun 8 2005, 02:27 PM)

My reasoning (not argument) is that a cache listing is meant to be hidden for a certain timeframe that is far longer than the weekend or day of an event. The whole objective to listing caches on a web site is for others to go out and find them. Creating a small window of opportunity for a listing is counter to the entire intent of the web site.

Is this not a temp cache?

It's an event. Having an picnic for 2 or 4 hours is temporary too. These just happen to be 15 minute events. I've seen people come to events for 20-30 minutes and have to leave, or come 15 minutes before it was over. What is the difference?

It's an event. Having an picnic for 2 or 4 hours is temporary too. These just happen to be 15 minute events. I've seen people come to events for 20-30 minutes and have to leave, or come 15 minutes before it was over. What is the difference?

My question is what is the difference between this and a temp cache setup during an event? They are both available for a very short time? and the are both "Temporary".

My question is what is the difference between this and a temp cache setup during an event? They are both available for a very short time? and the are both "Temporary".

Making multiple found logs on Event caches for temporary caches placed at an event has been going on for a long time. So long in fact that it has gone beyond an accepted behavior and had become expected that you make multiple found logs on Event caches for each temporary cache you find.

Do a search in the forums and you will find that people make all kinds of multiple found logs on events for all kinds of reasons some are related to geocaching others are not. If the person who ran the Event allows an extra found log for also attending the flash mob then there shouldn't be any problem. If the person who ran the Even is deleting the found logs then please obey his wishes and don't log it as a find. Instead try logging a note on the Event cache and use another accepted loop hole for boosting your find count to the "proper" level. One popular and accepted method is logging a find on a cache that you have archived.

Making multiple found logs on Event caches for temporary caches placed at an event has been going on for a long time. So long in fact that it has gone beyond an accepted behavior and had become expected that you make multiple found logs on Event caches for each temporary cache you find.

In some areas perhaps, but on a whole, no.

I'm not clear on what you're asking. The flash mob events are events like any other - all events are, by definition, of a limited duration, it's simply a matter of degrees. Yes, to the extent "events" are a type of cache, that runs counter to the general notion that temporary caches are not allowed. TPTB have decided to make that exception, just as they have decided to allow the listing of earthcaches even though they are not "caches" by any dictionary definition of the word and even though virtuals are no longer allowed for that same reason.

Your analogy of a flash mob event to a temporary cache placed for an event is not apt. I'm not aware of there being temporary caches placed at flash mob events, but even if they are, they are the same as temporary caches at any other event in that they are not listed on geocaching.com, and should not (in my opinion) be logged here except, possibly, with a note. What is it that you're seeing about these flash mob events that is different from any other kind of event in that regard?

Edited by Lightning Jeff

You're mixing apples and oranges. Flash Mob events are just geocaching events that are shorter in duration than the usual couple of hours to meet and greet. All events are temporary, unlike caches, which are expected to have a duration of 3 months minimum.

Also, and somewhat off topic, I agree with Moun10Bike that the logging of temporary caches at events is NOT part of geocaching in all areas.

The February '07 guidelines revision altered the event listing language and opened up the possibility of multiple event listings in an area & time - say over the course of one weekend. The previous guideline language specified that multiple components, a hike, a dinner and campfire, should all be submitted as part of a single event. They can now be submitted as separate events, though if they just follow one after another at the same venue, they may not be listed as separate events.

Hence a Flash Mob event on the river bank, and a couple of hours later, a Meet and Greet lunch event down the road at a diner. Two separate event cache pages.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

On the off-topic topic.... Yeah, I was gonna say, it's sure not a "popular and accepted method" in this area!

As to the flash mob events, while they don't interest me personally, I think they're a legit event. We've had a couple appear recently and at least one other is being planned, so I do kinda hope that people don't get carried away with having them every weekend or whatever.

I think while some of these events are not that bad I have seen a FME pop up as a precursor to someone else's event. All you had to do to log the FME was to show up wearing a bandana and sign the log and then on the way to the real event. If you want to have a FME, don't accosiate it with a cache on the same day less than a mile away and whos sole purpose is to preceed the other event. Create it into your event on a different day. How many FMEs are going to precced Mega Events? 20-30, what value do they have at that point? I need to go shopping at the WalMart on Friday, can I have a FME and we can all go shopping after? On Wednesday I plan to get gas, oh I can make that into an FME.

A good FME would be at the local playground and see how many times people could slide down a slide or the like.

[

This is most certainly not accaptable behavior in our neck of the woods. One GC Number, one smiley

[

This is most certainly not accaptable behavior in our neck of the woods. One GC Number, one smiley

Yup...still done that way in Alaska.

Look at alaska there goal unless than 15 min and get out ... Look other like in hotel flash mob . all people came in and give calp for like 10 sec then left . it freak out ... when people saw they call it take less than 10 min then five min and we are gone .. ploice will call flash mob .....

In some areas perhaps, but on a whole, no.

Temp Caches Being "Listed" on GC.com

For an Event to have a cache set up for it that Stays after the event, the cache has to be Pre-Aproved by the Moderators. If its a cache thats avaliable Only during the event, then you CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT log it on GC.com. Its simply a part of the event. Just like a cache that someone makes up, and archives before its approved. You Shouldn't Log those either(I don't know people have, But...)

The Steaks