CacheMate for PDA/Smartphone

Geoff Ogden

Hi All

I have just aquired a PDA/Phone combo (I think the term would be Smartphone) and would very much like to purchase CacheMate. This after seeing CacheMate at work, what a bonus having cellphone and PDA in one.

However not being on the top of all the technology around I am a bit scared of just going ahead with the install.

My phone is a HTC 3400 and is using Windows Mobile version 5. Are there any pitfalls or will the Palm OS version work with Windows?

Desperately awaiting some 'brainy' input on this. :P

Edited by Geoff Ogden

Hi Geoff,

CacheMate is fantastic! I use it on my HTC P4350 and I have had no problem with it at all. I installed it when my phone was running Windows Mobile 5 - I've recently upgraded to Windows Mobile 6 and it runs well on both platforms.

I use CacheMate in conjunction with GSAK (which is on my computer).

Go for it - paperless caching is the way to go.

You can do it either way.

I normally first connect my phone and computer with the USB cable, then download the file onto my computer. Sometimes (depending on the application) it will automatically install onto the phone while it is connected to the computer. Other times, you can copy the downloaded file from your computer to the SD card on your phone, then use the phone's File Explorer to browse to the copied file and launch the installation from there. I can't remember which option I had in the case of CacheMate.

You can do it either way.

I normally first connect my phone and computer with the USB cable, then download the file onto my computer. Sometimes (depending on the application) it will automatically install onto the phone while it is connected to the computer. Other times, you can copy the downloaded file from your computer to the SD card on your phone, then use the phone's File Explorer to browse to the copied file and launch the installation from there. I can't remember which option I had in the case of CacheMate.

Thanks Neville - am about to give it a go. :P

Hi Neville

Joy and celebration - I have CacheMate on my PDA and registered. Downloaded a .loc file using my new Premiun membership (Bragging a bit) and managed to get it onto the PDA and opened it with CacheMate.

However not everything I'm looking for is there. CacheMate gives me the co-ords, cache number and description with no hint or logs. What am I missing in the download of the pocket query or is it something with CacheMate?

I had an old Palm III lying in the cupboard for the past 4 years, unused.

From one of the Icenrey videozines, he spoke about cachemate, and paperless caching.

Demo version only allowed 10 caches to be loaded, so I thought I would try it on two caches, out in the field.

I bought the app for a grand price of $8.00. Only thing that bothers me is if the batteries fall out of the Palm III, I loose everything. Dont want that to happen when you visited 10 caches.

Stupid question time. I have been using GSAK on my PC and Cachemate on my Palm Vx for about a year. That Palm developed power problems last fall. I replace it with a Z22 which is great and now all set up. Wife gave me a HTC touch smartphone for Christmas which runs WM6. I have cachemate installed and registered....

My plan for now is to use the palm as primary but if space is limited or if I like the phone for geocaching i will switch.

How do I get the caches from GSAK to the phone?

Load onto my memory card or phone via USB, email them?

TIA

Sorry, didn't realize I was in the SA section. I have copied this to the software section, which is where I thought I was.

Edited by GPS Derek

Hi GPS Derek,

In GSAK, select File...Export, then GPX/LOC File. On the next window, ensure that GPX file is selected, then save the file somewhere on your computer.

Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable and then copy the GPX file to the phone's SD card. On the phone, open CacheMate and select the Import Plugin icon. Then tap on Start and then tap on the GPX file name, to start the import of the GPX data into CacheMate.

Hope this helps!

Hi GPS Derek,

In GSAK, select File...Export, then GPX/LOC File. On the next window, ensure that GPX file is selected, then save the file somewhere on your computer.

Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable and then copy the GPX file to the phone's SD card. On the phone, open CacheMate and select the Import Plugin icon. Then tap on Start and then tap on the GPX file name, to start the import of the GPX data into CacheMate.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much, I will have a new PQ sent to my home PC so when I get home tonight I will kick my daughter off the pc and try this very procedure.