Has anybody used AT&T Tilt (Kaiser) pda for Geocaching?

emluis

If I use it while I'm driving (with TomTom) seems to be working fine.

However, if I use it while I walk, sometimes the position doesn't update even if you walk for 30 seconds. After that, you get a new position. Then it works for a few minutes and I stop getting new positions.

I have tried in different places (no tree cover) and with different programs and I got the same problem.

Anybody had a similar problem?

Thanks

I dont have any answers for you but I'll bump this up because I'm interested in the TILT and how well it works for a gps. Mainly for driving but walking is important too. How is it for driving? Does it sync up to googlemaps? What do you use for mapping?

However, if I use it while I walk, sometimes the position doesn't update even if you walk for 30 seconds. After that, you get a new position. Then it works for a few minutes and I stop getting new positions.

I have tried in different places (no tree cover) and with different programs and I got the same problem.

Thanks

So far the driving is good. I use TomTom. I haven't used it with Google Maps but I know it works because I have read other people talking about it.

I wish somebody else got this PDA so we can compare the perfomance when geocaching. At least for mine, it's impossible to use it for geocaching, because it doesn't update unless you walk for a while.

Received mine in the UK today and have just instlled Memory Map to give it a test. Off out now to see if i get the same problems. If i do I will be sending it back as the main reason for getting it was the in built GPS as it meant one less thing to carry!

Thanks Gaz&Caz. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks

I have it and tried to find a few caches with it (with my 60cs as backup) - seemed to work ok using cachemate ppc. I used Microsoft Live and Google Maps for driving, but it did lose the data signal a few times (very annoying with Google Maps as a dialog pops up you have to hit OK on). I'm thinking the Garmin X software might be the solution for driving, but it doesn't look like it has a geocaching mode. The way I see it, it gives me the opportunity to try for caches if I happen not to have my 60cs. And if it makes the find a little more challenging, so be it! :huh:

OK, testing just about over. Agree that this is ok for driving but not so good for geocaching as if your speed drop below a certain level 2mph ish then it stop reading. Its similar to static navigation in the SIRF gps devices. i cant find anyway of turning it off but there are other forums posts about this problem on some techy forums so i will keep my eye on this for a solution.

i acutally love the phone though and combined with my bluetooth gps unit I think i will keep hold of it. the inbuilt gps will be fine for tomtom etc and not having a combined phone/pda means less to carry and as TFTC says its could be used in an emerency for caching

Will keep you informed if i find any other info.

By the way, thru a registry hack, I enabled the geotagging feature of the Tilt's camera. One of the photo options now is GPS Photo, which puts the coordinates into the EXIF data. Somehow that seems like it has some potential, though I haven't used it much yet. Not sure why they disabled it by default.

By the way, thru a registry hack, I enabled the geotagging feature of the Tilt's camera. One of the photo options now is GPS Photo, which puts the coordinates into the EXIF data. Somehow that seems like it has some potential, though I haven't used it much yet. Not sure why they disabled it by default.

Privacy reasons. Suppose you take a geotagged photo in your backyard during an event. Party, wedding, barbecue, whatever. You post the photo on Flickr to share with folks who couldn't make the event. You just told the whole Internet where you live, since the lat and long will be in the Exif tags and on display. Yes, you can hide Exif location data. But I'm presenting the worse-case-scenario of a person not being savvy enough to turn off the geotagging function on the phone or suppress the Exif location tags when posting the photo online. The phone's manufacturer is playing it safe to avoid liability if a stalker took fancy to someone in the photo and decided to pay a visit.

Privacy reasons. Suppose you take a geotagged photo in your backyard during an event. Party, wedding, barbecue, whatever. You post the photo on Flickr to share with folks who couldn't make the event. You just told the whole Internet where you live, since the lat and long will be in the Exif tags and on display. Yes, you can hide Exif location data. But I'm presenting the worse-case-scenario of a person not being savvy enough to turn off the geotagging function on the phone or suppress the Exif location tags when posting the photo online. The phone's manufacturer is playing it safe to avoid liability if a stalker took fancy to someone in the photo and decided to pay a visit.
Maybe .. but you can choose between Photo and GPS Photo - it's not like you don't have to make an effort to tag the photo.

I do use the Tilt, with BeeLine software. I'm very happy with it. It's much more sensitive than the Ipaq 6515 that I was using. I do have the issue with moving slow, but not always. The biggest problem I see is that the compass display is GPS generated, so it's only correct when you moving. When you stand still, it tends to spin a little. The display does have a North arrow, so I've learned to deal with it.

EVERYONE!!!! YOU MUST USE THIS SOFTWARE IF YOU USE THE TILT. I JUST FOUND IT! and.. it's FREE..

It gives you coords inthe right format, tracks sats, EVERYTHING you need to geocache with the tilt and it's working perfectly on mine... Just download the cab, config to com 4 / 9600 and connect.. Takes a few to aquire but after that you are in!!

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm

Let me know what you think!!!

Edited by denwagh

Hello all,

The Tilt uses the SiRF Star III GPS receiver. It has a mode called static navigation where the GPS is ether tuned for vehicle navigation or pedestrian navigation.

See this article for more information on static navigation.

yes, the problem is so far nobody has found (AFAIK) a way of switching between the 2 navigation modes with this GPS model.

Hello all,

The Tilt uses the SiRF Star III GPS receiver. It has a mode called static navigation where the GPS is ether tuned for vehicle navigation or pedestrian navigation.

See this article for more information on static navigation.

yes, the problem is so far nobody has found (AFAIK) a way of switching between the 2 navigation modes with this GPS model.

In the BeeLineGPS application (made by VisualGPS mentioned a few posts ago), there is a checkbox for Static Navigation in the Tools - GPS - Manufacturer Specific - SiRF Setup screen. It's unchecked on my Tilt. Dunno whether it properly detects or actually sets the setting, but there it is.

I should have read RumJungle's post more carefully.

The Tilt DOESN'T use a SiRF Star III GPS receiver. There are many applications for changing the static navigation with this model.

Tilt uses a Qualcomm GPS.

Ah, Qualcomm MSM7200 gpsOne. It doesn't look like the various SiRF tools will be much help then!

I also have an AT&T Tilt and have noticed the slow GPS response issue while walking. I use DeLorme's Street Atlas normally and it can take me 300 feet or more before the arrow shows motion.

However, I also have Smache (look for it in Google) loaded and when I enable the GPS in that application, the response gets right where I'd like it to be . Even Street Atlas's arrow jumps nearly the moment I start moving after I let Smache have at the GPS.

YMMV and I'll also be trying VisualGPSce since I actually loaded that on the phone in the store just to see if the GPS REQUIRED their pay service or would be accessible by other Windows Mobile applications. The store clerk thought I'd have to use theirs.

Also, Street Atlas does not claim Windows Mobile 6 compatibility, but it works until you turn off the GPS and/or tracking. Then it locks up and must be killed.

CodeWrangler - a DeLorme PN-20 primary user with a Tilt-ed backup

I have it and tried to find a few caches with it (with my 60cs as backup) - seemed to work ok using cachemate ppc. I used Microsoft Live and Google Maps for driving, but it did lose the data signal a few times (very annoying with Google Maps as a dialog pops up you have to hit OK on). I'm thinking the Garmin X software might be the solution for driving, but it doesn't look like it has a geocaching mode. The way I see it, it gives me the opportunity to try for caches if I happen not to have my 60cs. And if it makes the find a little more challenging, so be it! :D
I got the Garmin XT card today and so far with the minimal testing I've been able to do, it's a very pleasant change from Google/LiveSearch. Several times in the last few weeks, I've actually brought my 60cs along because routing with Google/LiveSearch has been fairly unreliable. So right now, Cachemate & BeelineGPS for caching and Garmin XT for routing. I'm going to check out "smache" mentioned earlier.
I have it and tried to find a few caches with it (with my 60cs as backup) - seemed to work ok using cachemate ppc. I used Microsoft Live and Google Maps for driving, but it did lose the data signal a few times (very annoying with Google Maps as a dialog pops up you have to hit OK on). I'm thinking the Garmin X software might be the solution for driving, but it doesn't look like it has a geocaching mode. The way I see it, it gives me the opportunity to try for caches if I happen not to have my 60cs. And if it makes the find a little more challenging, so be it! :rolleyes:
I got the Garmin XT card today and so far with the minimal testing I've been able to do, it's a very pleasant change from Google/LiveSearch. Several times in the last few weeks, I've actually brought my 60cs along because routing with Google/LiveSearch has been fairly unreliable. So right now, Cachemate & BeelineGPS for caching and Garmin XT for routing. I'm going to check out "smache" mentioned earlier.
Garmin Mobile XT has been very nice for auto routing and I've been able to load caches in as custom poi's. Unfortunately, they don't show while you drive around, only when you route to them. So, still looking for a WM6 solution that will show caches on a map while you are driving around! But at least with XT, I can list all the caches nearby and route to one, then use Cachemate or BeeLineGPS to find it. I'm surprised Garmin did not think that anyone would want to use their software for geocaching after building that functionality into their handheld units.

At Handango there are lots of titles for the Tilt. I was hoping someone would be posting about them, and I will continue to search.

So Far I like TackyPro and BackCountry the best, but I don't have full running versions yet. Still in the eval mode.

As far as the GPS on the phone, so far, it's pretty darn good. I had streets and trips installed and clicked on the GSP and it immediately locked into where I was. Also with TackyPro it actually startled me with it's accuracy. I had selected the Google Arial mode... and when the map came down, it was a picture of my house with a marker of exactly where I was sitting.

Anyway, there are several titles...

So far I've tried

- TackyPro

- BackCounty

- GPS Tuner 5.2

They all seem to do what they claim and they all have great reviews. I'm looking for input from someone that has used these or any similar software and what they like, dislike or recommend.

Thanks

At Handango there are lots of titles for the Tilt. I was hoping someone would be posting about them, and I will continue to search.

So Far I like TackyPro and BackCountry the best, but I don't have full running versions yet. Still in the eval mode.

Thanks for the info, MrOvation. I haven't checked out Handango, but I like how you can specify your device and see what's supposed to work with it. I'll try out TackyPro and let you know. My geocaching wish list is very short - see caches on a map, route to them onroad and offroad (with an arrow), and ideally show some cache info, but even just launching the online page would be fine. If Garmin would just realize that someone might want to geocache with their PDA phone and added the rudimentary geocaching features of their handhelds (ok, their OLD handhelds, like the 60cs(x) - it looks like their newest Colorados have the same geocaching features as GMXT!).
I posted on my blog exactly how to do paperless geocaching on the tilt. The static GPS was only an issue once I read it on the forum—I never really noticed it before, but I'll look into it. GPS Tuner is incredible, especially with its Google Maps integration.
Thanks for the blog entry - checking it out, especially GPS Tuner.

me using a Euro-version of the Tilt (MDA-pro 3 by T-mobile) and I have gps-tuner (4.3?) installed. It works without any hickups. While geocaching, yes, you have to move around a bit to get a new lock, but it does not strike me as being a problem. I have been able to locate all the locations I have sent myself to.

I have tried several other programms (pathaway being the second best), but gps-tuner seems to be the best organized. Major advantage is the lack of buttons. there are only 4, unlike some other softwares I have seen with 15 menu-items all with submenus. Another very handy thing is the pc-program that will allow you to grab maps of the net, to use them offline. (map-calibrator). It is the only one till now I have been able to figure out. I have special "medicine" for gps-tuner software available. PM me when you are sick with the limitations..

When you are in for a challenge, have a look in to turbo gps. Freeware and huge potentioal. Personally I seem unable to get it to read maps.

We just went out with our TILT's for geocaching the first time today. We are having a little difficulty setting them up for geocaching.

First we did the GPS Tuner thing but since we turned off the data package it does not work for us. lost money there.

Next we went and bought Delorme Street Atlas 2008. We were all excited and seemed to work great. However, today we discovered that we have no idea how to make the waypoints transfer into the program to export them into our TILT's.

We have spent money on the GSAK with no luck.

Before we spend anymore money can someone please help. We have searched forums and the internet with no luck. Maybe we are just not putting it all together right. We definitly know we are missing something.

Anyhow, we ended up hand inputting some and paper printing - things we havent done in ages! Originally we were using Magellan Meridian Gold and pocket pcs.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

I'm trying to use my Tilt for geocaching. However, Beeline GPS keeps telling me that GPS connection has failed, but it was able to autodetect the GPS. What am I doing wrong?
I've noticed quite a few times that the QuickGPS data is erroneous and locates me far away from my actual position. Usually re-downloading the data in QuickGPS solves the problem. A couple times, when the bogus data is "out there" too long, I've actually had to go and delete it on my Tilt and let it figure out where it is on it's own. This is probably not related to your problem, but FYI. Probably can't hurt to go to QuickGPS and download the current data.

We just went out with our TILT's for geocaching the first time today. We are having a little difficulty setting them up for geocaching.

First we did the GPS Tuner thing but since we turned off the data package it does not work for us. lost money there.

Next we went and bought Delorme Street Atlas 2008. We were all excited and seemed to work great. However, today we discovered that we have no idea how to make the waypoints transfer into the program to export them into our TILT's.

Before we spend anymore money can someone please help. We have searched forums and the internet with no luck. Maybe we are just not putting it all together right. We definitly know we are missing something.

Anyhow, we ended up hand inputting some and paper printing - things we havent done in ages! Originally we were using Magellan Meridian Gold and pocket pcs.

Okay just an update, we were able to use GPS Tuner because we found GPSies.com which helped us a bunch with the maps and caliberation.

We also are using cachemate now.

We are very pleased with the TILT

I'm using Tom TOm with the tilt and also google maps...

The reciever is very sensitive and walking today it did freeze once.

On XDA developers.com you can get new "radios" that enhance the gps and other "radio" functions of the TILT and alos new firmware that peple find and modify to suit thier needs. check xda-developers.com if you want to try out new radios on your TILT.

Also, TOM TOM beats the heck out of my garmin 60csx for road routeing...even uses the cellphone internet connection to find traffic congestion.

The garmin is better for geocaching but sinc eI do this so little I may sell the garmin and just keep my TILT solution. Garmin wont let me upgrade maps anymore so I'll never buy another garmin roadmap again...with the TOM TOM, I dont need or want to now since its so much better.

Okay just an update, we were able to use GPS Tuner because we found GPSies.com which helped us a bunch with the maps and caliberation.

We also are using cachemate now.

We are very pleased with the TILT

Edited by kb9nvh