Reported problems & status

Rhialto

Reported problems & status:

Google Maps: a bad char in cache name break the code.

Google Maps: if you zoom out so 500 caches are shown, no more update are done after that.

STATUS: Thanks for letting us know, we're still working out the kinks (this thread)

Send to GPSr: blue flag icon instead of chest icon are sent.

STATUS: Works intermittently. Garmin changed the way they the JS was written. I've already contacted them about it and they will be changing what they need to (this thread)

Pocket Query: PQ date selection restricted to 2007

Print to PDF: when looking at the cache, the Print PDF button and (5 logs, 10 logs) does nothing.

Google Maps: 15 miles limit issue/disliking.

Pocket Query: First date non-inclusise.

P.S. This list is for now user updated to our best knowledge. Please help updating it if you know about an issue.

Also please keep it simple, no personal user request, try to focus on real bugs only, we may moderate.

If you are not good at editing/updating a post so the look remain similar, please simply write in text and someone else will update later.

Latest updates will always be shown on the last message so move down!

Hope you will like my initiative.

Edited by Rhialto

Thanks for the example list. Here's an example reply to that list if it really came from the web site:

"The PDF function is way more important to a lot of us than the send to GPS, so please move that up the list of priorities!"

How many times do TPTB need to hear that they're doing it wrong before they stop telling everyone what they're doing? I'd bet this is the primary reason for not keeping an updated published list of what they're doing.

Or when is something an issue with the users, but not an issue with TPTB.

Example: "I want my pocket queries to return more than 5 logs"

Wouldn't that be a feature request?

I think so and I wrote in the 1st message at the top to avoid them here, if we were to include all feature request by users the list would be too long and it would be impossible to get an answer for each.

Google Maps: if you zoom out so 500 caches are shown, no more update are done after that.

STATUS: Thanks for letting us know, we're still working out the kinks (this thread)

STATUS: Works intermittently. Garmin changed the way they the JS was written. I've already contacted them about it and they will be changing what they need to (this thread)

Pocket Query: PQ preview in Google maps not available

STATUS: We've almost completed work on adding PQs back to the Geocaching Google Maps. You should see an update early next week if all goes well! (this thread)

Print to PDF: when looking at the cache, the Print PDF button and (5 logs, 10 logs) does nothing.

P.S. This list is for now user updated to our best knowledge. Please help updating it if you know about an issue.

Also please keep it simple, no personal feature request, try to focus on real bugs only.

If you are not good at editing/updating a post so the look remain similar, please simply write in text and someone else will update later.

*STATUS: Just a quick note to let you guys know we're still very close to completing these maps. It would have been done by now but we found new ways to make it even better so we needed a bit more time for implementation. Thanks for all your patience. (this thread)

*Pocket Query: extra paging control on the bottom of seek-page

*STATUS: I will make sure this paging problem with the bookmarks is fixed (this thread)

Also please keep it simple, no personal feature request, try to focus on real bugs only.

Edited by Rhialto

The NEW new map update has done something strange. Instead of the map being full-size, it's only about 2/3 the length (up and down) it should be. Also, the "Mystery Cache" "?" symbol is pushed down a line. To possibly add more width to the actual map, and to allow more caches to be shown in the cache result box, you could get rid of the GC numbes next to the cache names.

1749507777_0b82fca4ea.jpg

The NEW new map update has done something strange. Instead of the map being full-size, it's only about 2/3 the length (up and down) it should be. Also, the "Mystery Cache" "?" symbol is pushed down a line. To possibly add more width to the actual map, and to allow more caches to be shown in the cache result box, you could get rid of the GC numbes next to the cache names.

1749507777_0b82fca4ea.jpg

Taking out the GC#'s won't do much considering many of the cache titles in the page you displayed take up just as much space. You could shorten the width of the column to the right of the map, but

it is much

more

difficult to

read

something

that has

hemmed

in

margins,

not to mention you'd need to at least triple stack the "Premium Member Filters" checkboxes. Is the map really any narrower than when the old maps were in place?

Now, height-wise, I see exactly what you mean, and agree. In addition to making the map taller (at least so it fills in flush with the bottom of the cache list to the right) can the option to make it even taller come back? The little green plus sign you'd click to get an even bigger map size? I liked that.

Overall, I'm liking the new maps. Thanks!

Taking out the GC#'s won't do much considering many of the cache titles in the page you displayed take up just as much space. You could shorten the width of the column to the right of the map, but

it is much

more

difficult to

read

something

that has

hemmed

in

margins,

not to mention you'd need to at least triple stack the "Premium Member Filters" checkboxes. Is the map really any narrower than when the old maps were in place?

Sorry for not being very clear in my post. I wasn't complaining about how we lost a whopping 1/4 inch on the width, I was just suggesting an idea to make it look less cluttered. But now that this specific idea has my attention, I think that in addition to the up-down scroll bar there could be a side-to-side scroll bar so that caches with long names don't take up 2-3 lines. Also, I don't see how moving one cache type icon filter checkbox would make it triple-stacked, it looks like they all can fit them all on the two lines they have now - 5 on each line instead of 6 on one and 4 on the other.

*edit for info.

Edited by wwflover13

it is much

more

difficult to

read

something

that has

hemmed

in

margins,

Sorry for not being very clear in my post. I wasn't complaining about how we lost a whopping 1/4 inch on the width, I was just suggesting an idea to make it look less cluttered. But now that this specific idea has my attention, I think that in addition to the up-down scroll bar there could be a side-to-side scroll bar so that caches with long names don't take up 2-3 lines. Also, I don't see how moving one cache type icon filter checkbox would make it triple-stacked, it looks like they all can fit them all on the two lines they have now - 5 on each line instead of 6 on one and 4 on the other.

*edit for info.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the icon stacking part. If the list column were narrower, the section for the filter icons would be as well, so rather than being able to go 5 wide (which is how it is in Firefox, the 6/4 thing only happens to me in IE, not that FF isn't buggy in other ways...) you'd have to go maybe 3 or 4 wide.

As far as scroll bars go, I was told by a web design guy that the goal for a web page should be to have all pertinent info visible with as little scrolling as possible. The only thing less readable than text limited by a hemmed in margin is text that you can't read at all because it is scrolled off the screen.

Here's an idea: What if the Filter Icons got slid down below the map so the list would show more than 10 caches at a time?

I still think they're doing a great job trying to make everyone happy, though, don't you?

Edited to add:

Ohh... they fixed the 6/4 problem... or at least it is behaving for me now. And I like the white box around the icons, the icons alone didn't do that great showing up on the topo map (another AWESOME addition!).

Edited by Too Tall John

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the icon stacking part. If the list column were narrower, the section for the filter icons would be as well, so rather than being able to go 5 wide (which is how it is in Firefox, the 6/4 thing only happens to me in IE, not that FF isn't buggy in other ways...) you'd have to go maybe 3 or 4 wide.

As far as scroll bars go, I was told by a web design guy that the goal for a web page should be to have all pertinent info visible with as little scrolling as possible. The only thing less readable than text limited by a hemmed in margin is text that you can't read at all because it is scrolled off the screen.

Here's an idea: What if the Filter Icons got slid down below the map so the list would show more than 10 caches at a time?

I still think they're doing a great job trying to make everyone happy, though, don't you?

Edited to add:

Ohh... they fixed the 6/4 problem... or at least it is behaving for me now. And I like the white box around the icons, the icons alone didn't do that great showing up on the topo map (another AWESOME addition!).

Ok I see what you mean about the icons. BTW they're fixed for me now, 5 per row. The map itself is still not sized right though. If they got rid of the gc#'s it would show more "pertinent info" (more caches) because they wouldn't be taking up extra lines. There are a good amount of cache names that are longer than the given width of the info bar, and even if they added a side scrollbar you could still see most of the tite without scrolling. I am starting to like the new maps though, many nice new features - but it does need work.

example:

1752637828_56c8e2d88a.jpg

STATUS: Just a quick note to let you guys know we're still very close to completing these maps. It would have been done by now but we found new ways to make it even better so we needed a bit more time for implementation. Thanks for all your patience. (this thread)

*Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

*STATUS: There are many threads about this one.. here are a few: this thread, this thread, this thread, and this one, this one, this one and I could keep going on. They do not seem to be specific to any one page. I usually get the page I want with a few (2-3) page refresh.. I haven't read all the threads, so I don't know what is GoundSpeak's take on this.. The most recent thread talking about this error has had no intervention from GS.

*Pocket Query: PQ date selection restricted to 2007

Added by GF: To keep this thread as lean and clean as possible we should open a different thread/subject to discuss the issues.. and report here the thread you opened with the link to the thread. Thanks.

Edit: added the "/" application runtime error

Edited by GrosseFamille

STATUS: Just a quick note to let you guys know we're still very close to completing these maps. It would have been done by now but we found new ways to make it even better so we needed a bit more time for implementation. Thanks for all your patience. (this thread)

*Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

*STATUS: There are many threads about this one.. here are a few: this thread, this thread, this thread, and this one, this one, this one and I could keep going on. They do not seem to be specific to any one page. I usually get the page I want with a few (2-3) page refresh.. I haven't read all the threads, so I don't know what is GoundSpeak's take on this.. The most recent thread talking about this error has had no intervention from GS.

Added by GF: To keep this thread as lean and clean as possible we should open a different thread/subject to discuss the issues.. and report here the thread you opened with the link to the thread. Thanks.

Edited by Rhialto
Why don't you update the 1st post and keep that post updated with the current status. And post a <bump> or something when there is new information.. That would be a lot easier than trying to scroll down to find the latest information
After a certain time period you can't edit a post. If a request to change this was made, would it get added to the list? :)

Has anyone noticed that if a cacher contacts you through this web site the "from" address says "noreply@geocaching.com" even though they clicked "send my email address". If you reply to the message the cacher's email is actually there though.

I've emailed a few people in the last week or so and they've never responded so I'm thinking they don't realize that my email address is actually there. :)

This occurs on my home PC (XP SP2 Outlook 2003) and in my webmail program (Smartermail 4.3).

Why don't you update the 1st post and keep that post updated with the current status. And post a <bump> or something when there is new information.. That would be a lot easier than trying to scroll down to find the latest information
After a certain time period you can't edit a post. If a request to change this was made, would it get added to the list? :)

Well, that's a big bummer

In my opinion the map is now really great. The symbols are in an optimal size, closed caches are shown in red, more than 15miles... GREAT!

I have only one wish: When I select to hide my found caches, the list of caches should also change. At the moment the list shows all caches...

Thanks!

Has anyone noticed that if a cacher contacts you through this web site the "from" address says "noreply@geocaching.com" even though they clicked "send my email address". If you reply to the message the cacher's email is actually there though.

I've emailed a few people in the last week or so and they've never responded so I'm thinking they don't realize that my email address is actually there. :)

This occurs on my home PC (XP SP2 Outlook 2003) and in my webmail program (Smartermail 4.3).

This was discussed in another thread a week or so ago but I can't find it now :)

Don't think GS had responded to it the last time I read it which was right after the OP.

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

STATUS: There are many threads about this one.. here are a few: this thread, this thread, this thread, and this one, this one, this one and I could keep going on. They do not seem to be specific to any one page. I usually get the page I want with a few (2-3) page refresh.. I haven't read all the threads, so I don't know what is GoundSpeak's take on this.. The most recent thread talking about this error has had no intervention from GS.

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

STATUS: There are many threads about this one.. here are a few: this thread, this thread, this thread, and this one, this one, this one and I could keep going on. They do not seem to be specific to any one page. I usually get the page I want with a few (2-3) page refresh.. I haven't read all the threads, so I don't know what is GoundSpeak's take on this.. The most recent thread talking about this error has had no intervention from GS.

From what I can read with the last one in red, the topic is still active and some are still reporting the error.

Since most of the big problems have been solved I retired. :-) I visit less often thus I don't update this anymore. Seems we were only two updtaing while it was open to everyone.

Hope it was usefull at that time...