It would have been a perfect day, except...

imajeep

This story is too good not to share.

It was an incredible Sunday afternoon in Chicago--80° and sunny, in late October. So, the Jeepstress and I head out to grab a few caches, instead of raking leaves. We go 10-for-10; not a single DNF the entire day! And all the caches were great; not a single lame or evil hide in the bunch.

We were walking back out from our 10th find, congratulating ourselves on our geocaching proweress and taking in the warmth of the late autumn afternoon, when we got to the parking lot. No red Jeep. Nowhere. And guess who forgot to take a waypoint when we got out of the car?

So, how the heck do you file a DNF on your car?

Fortunately, the solution was simple. Walk the quarter mile back to the cache, then take the correct path out, so we end up on the correct side of the park. It was such a gorgeous day that we ended up laughing the entire way.

All in all, a good day.

I wonder where I could find a very large travel bug to hang out of the window of my red jeep?

No, don't tell me--I know they probably exist, and you can probably get them with an ID from Groundspeak...

You mean like this? My cache-mobile, Hydi, is now a TB. OneStopCacheShop also has a magnetic version if you don't like the decal.

Edited by hydnsek

Loosing your Jeep whilst geocaching!?!?! You are worthy of neither Jeep nor Geocaching! :laughing:

What is it about lost Jeeps? It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...

I once had a PFFCLJSL log, which stood for "Pissed on Fence, Found Cache, Lost Jeep, Signed Log.

As an expert at loosing my Jeep, I can pass on some techniques for Jeep recovery...

"This is the second time in Copperas Cove area where I managed to loose my Jeep 100 ft from a cache. Now I understand why my wife wonders just how I manage to get by in life. The trees and the proximity of the vehicle created an interesting effect in that the mapping function and reverse route wasn't exactly helpful.

Not to fear, I did remember to bring my keys along. I always wondered what I could do with the "panic" function on my Jeep's alarm system. Now I know.... when I loose my Jeep in the woods, PANIC works well (although I wasn't quite panicked, per se). BEEP BEEP BEEP went trusty Jeep, beckoning to me to come back... alas, there it sat, lights blaring, horn honking. As if the bright silver paint job wasn't a dead give-away. Disgraceful as that refinding of the Jeep went, it was successful, and I felt very clever indeed."

Swallow your pride, use your panic button on the key fob.

I wonder where I could find a very large travel bug to hang out of the window of my red jeep?

No, don't tell me--I know they probably exist, and you can probably get them with an ID from Groundspeak...

You mean like this? My cache-mobile, Hydi, is now a TB. OneStopCacheShop also has a magnetic version if you don't like the decal.

Why am I not surprised? (Actually pretty cool)

I was bowhunting one afternoon on a military installation. Parked along side one of the main roads and off into the woods. Several hours later I come out and my car is gone. Not really a place to get turned around in and the car was right there when I took my bow and tree stand out. I walked to the check in station about a mile away to report my car missing to the MP's. He shows up and I tell my story, we drive back to where my car wasn't, and there it sits. After my stammering that it really wasn't there we get out and look around and there are signs, of another vehicle, likely a tow truck. As I'm putting my stuff back into my car I see a tow truck go by with a similar looking car. Guess he found the first maroon hatchback and hooked up. Calling it in on the radio he realized his oops and did a U-turn to bring it back and go get the real tow.

I was bowhunting one afternoon on a military installation. Parked along side one of the main roads and off into the woods. Several hours later I come out and my car is gone. Not really a place to get turned around in and the car was right there when I took my bow and tree stand out. I walked to the check in station about a mile away to report my car missing to the MP's. He shows up and I tell my story, we drive back to where my car wasn't, and there it sits. After my stammering that it really wasn't there we get out and look around and there are signs, of another vehicle, likely a tow truck. As I'm putting my stuff back into my car I see a tow truck go by with a similar looking car. Guess he found the first maroon hatchback and hooked up. Calling it in on the radio he realized his oops and did a U-turn to bring it back and go get the real tow.

Wow--great story. Forty years ago, I used to bow-hunt deer with a buddy of mine at Fort Knox, Kentucky, in a surplus 1942 Army Jeep. MPs would come out to chase us off if we strayed into the military reservation--the hunting area was near tank training country. But they never failed to stop to compare their government-issue model to the antique we were driving.