GEOCOINFEST 08: PITTSBURGH

avroair

October 11,12,13: Proposed weekend for the GeoCoin Fest event (Columbus day)

That is a very tough weekend especially with children in school, if you have to travel more then 800 miles (towards Pittsburgh, for example).

Just out of curiosity, why are we not doing this during the summer months, when the children are out of school?

:( At my job, Columbus Day does not qualify as a "Holiday" I have to work :P

Most employers don't give you Columbus Day off. I think Federal employees get it, but not many others. But school kids usually get it, and that is where the advantage is. It isn't a big travel holiday, so there aren't big family gatherings, full flights, full hotels and things like that to deal with.

Most people who work get vacation days, so grown ups take vacation, and the kids are out of school.

It is not that easy to fly with 5 people. That is the least of a family concern, it is much more feasible to drive, but that can take days depoending on the location.

Just out of curiosity, why are we not doing this during the summer months, when the children are out of school?

Too many other mega events in the summer to compete with. Plus this was always supposed to be a Fall event. The original just got delayed due to a change in location.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Sorry guys, I am lobbying against Atlanta. I know a MEGA event isn't wanted here due to the impact on the local ecosystems. Besides, you only have till the end of the day to get a formal proposal together.

Hopefully you guys will get your water reserves up in HOTlanta to accommodate an extra 500 people in the future!

:( At my job, Columbus Day does not qualify as a "Holiday" I have to work :P

Most employers don't give you Columbus Day off. I think Federal employees get it, but not many others. But school kids usually get it, and that is where the advantage is. It isn't a big travel holiday, so there aren't big family gatherings, full flights, full hotels and things like that to deal with.

Most people who work get vacation days, so grown ups take vacation, and the kids are out of school.

ahhh gotcha. i guess all that makes sense. i thought it was chosen in part b/c people get it off (at my old job i did) and wanted to say "not everybody; not meee!! (not fair!)"

i'll still be sad though, but i dont really get a fair amount of vacation time (guess im not a real adult yet; all my co-workers seem to go on vacation all the time) so i'll have to choose between taking a week off and taking five individual days off...

I love Columbus Day weekend. Our school has a 4-Day weekend then so we get Friday and Monday off.

Also since we are a family of 5 we do not fly places, we drive. It is cheaper to drive than fly with that many people, even with $3/gal gas! So on Thursday we will most likely take the kids out of school half day and head to where ever the event is. If it is PA or TX or IL then that is about 12 or 13 hours for us. Then we can be there all weekend to play and have fun!

Ugh! I just looked up lutefisk...you can keep that please! My mom grew up in Mpls/St. Paul...she remembers her grandmother making lutefisk every year for Christmas.

I would try the lefse though. :huh:

mmmmm lutefisk

lutefisk.jpg

Sorry, I just can't imagine eating something that has been soaked in lye for a day...even if it has been rinsed out! B)

It would be fun to have a 'visual', especially for the non-US folk... does anyone have time to make a rough image of a US map with push-pins at the bid cities or something?

This is my first map I have made by myself so hopefully it works....

2008 GeocoinFest Bid Locations

Works great. Nice Job. :blink:

Is there anyway you could add the approximate locations of GW6 and MWGB? Maybe in a different color?

It would be fun to have a 'visual', especially for the non-US folk... does anyone have time to make a rough image of a US map with push-pins at the bid cities or something?

Is there anyway you could add the approximate locations of GW6 and MWGB? Maybe in a different color?

WOW!! I did it. The other MEGA events are YELLOW.

Great Job!

Great Job!

That looks very very nice. Makes Dallas sure stand out, as being a bit away from all the other Mega events :huh:

Great Job!

That looks very very nice. Makes Dallas sure stand out, as being a bit away from all the other Mega events :huh:

I didn't see a pin on battle Mountain on that map! :(

How bout adding the previous Geowoodstocks:

GeoWoodstock I - Louisville, Kentucky

GeoWoodstock II - Nashville, Tennessee

GeoWoodstock III - Jacksonville, Florida

GeoWoodstock IV - Dallas, Texas

GeoWoodstock V - Raleigh, North Carolina

and let's not forget:

Geocoinfest 2007 - Temecula, CA

~J

How bout adding the previous Geowoodstocks:

GeoWoodstock I - Louisville, Kentucky

GeoWoodstock II - Nashville, Tennessee

GeoWoodstock III - Jacksonville, Florida

GeoWoodstock IV - Dallas, Texas

GeoWoodstock V - Raleigh, North Carolina

and let's not forget:

Geocoinfest 2007 - Temecula, CA

~J

I would like to see the other MEGA events like the older MWGB as well. Pretty cool to see. Caching in general was meant to take us to different places and show us things we have never seen before. Is nice to see that MEGA events are doing the same by not being held in the same areas twice and such. Spread the wealth and spread the adventures.

I was only looking at what is going on next year. And where the best place would be that would be far enough away from the other Megas that people from other areas of the country could attend.

But GWI, II and III were not Mega events, and neither were the MWGB until 2005?

So if we put past Mega events, could we make them another color than yellow or blue?

Edited by MustangJoni

I would like to see the other MEGA events like the older MWGB as well. Pretty cool to see. Caching in general was meant to take us to different places and show us things we have never seen before. Is nice to see that MEGA events are doing the same by not being held in the same areas twice and such. Spread the wealth and spread the adventures.

For me, having the event in a "new" area is less of a factor than other things are:

1. Is there a team or enough support in the area?

2. Will the area support the event, and attract enough collectors to make it enticing for the vendors.

3. Personalities...having experienced the planning for the last event, this may be the biggest issue! There were several times that we clashed in the planning process, and I told Avro and AG to stuff it! :mad: Mark had to calm me down a few times, and in the end, everything worked out pretty well. However, this is a long process, and you really have to work with each other. One of my biggest issues was that I like to do things my way! :huh: This is Avroair's baby now, and he needs to be able to know that the team that is selected are going to be team players...that's just my opinion.

(Jim, even though you are a loose cannon, I've heard LeNore is really nice, so hopefully she can keep you in-check should the event go to PA this year.) :laughing:

For me, having the event in a "new" area is less of a factor than other things are:

1. Is there a team or enough support in the area?

2. Will the area support the event, and attract enough collectors to make it enticing for the vendors.

3. Personalities...having experienced the planning for the last event, this may be the biggest issue! There were several times that we clashed in the planning process, and I told Avro and AG to stuff it! :) Mark had to calm me down a few times, and in the end, everything worked out pretty well. However, this is a long process, and you really have to work with each other. One of my biggest issues was that I like to do things my way! :) This is Avroair's baby now, and he needs to be able to know that the team that is selected are going to be team players...that's just my opinion.

(Jim, even though you are a loose cannon, I've heard LeNore is really nice, so hopefully she can keep you in-check should the event go to PA this year.) :laughing:

Don't forget Cubby!

The three biggest factors for me are...

1. Team in place and their ability to work with Mark. I know with these multi events, he had a difficult time getting cooperation and/or communication in some cases. I don't want to have to listen to him complain for 10 months :D:mad::):huh::D Plus along the lines of what C4 said, the team has to be wiling to act on directives issued from Mark.

2. Although not a requirement, I do like the fact that some of these locations have a person on the team who was present in Temecula. I think that is important. Those individuals got to see what did and did not work from an attendee standpoint and can suggest improvements as well as forsee potential issues from having that past experience.

3. Location

It looks like Nebraska and Kansas are in the dead middle! If that's the case why is the Mid West Geobash location east of the middle?

In fact, Indiana is EAST and not Midwest. So much so, the Indiana legislature voted to adopt the entire state into the Eastern Time Zone. No Eastern state (thanks to the IN lawmakers) is in the Central Time Zone any longer.

That's my geographical lesson for the day :laughing:

~J

How it works:

I devised the bidding process to be much like the Olympic bidding process with proposals winnowed down to finalists.

* Round 1: the bids have been sent out the to 4 members, who are reviewing them, reading them over and ranking the proposals 6 through 1 --- 6 being the most prefered.

* Final Round: the top 3 points winners or finalists will again be ranked 1,2,3 with 3 being the most desired. I members are also encouraged to ask questions or make points for and against before they submit their final 3.

Just want to say, I think the number and more importantly, the quality of the bids, both surprises and encourages me. Should be a fun event regardless of where it shows up. Special thanks to all those who stepped up to the plate and submitted a proposal. :laughing: