GEOCOINFEST 08: PITTSBURGH

avroair

As far as I know, there's 3 vendors on the left coast, 3 in the midwest... any one the right coast?

~J

Aw, you can do better than that... think a little harder... B)

I can think of 4 on the west coast, 4 out west (not on the coast), 2 in the midwest, 1 in the south and 2 on the east coast... over the pond there are at least 3 in Europe. Some of these are vendors, others are people who go direct... Like I said this event is meant to encompass the whole coin community. :laughing:

As far as I know, there's 3 vendors on the left coast, 3 in the midwest... any one the right coast?

~J

Aw, you can do better than that... think a little harder... :)

I can think of 4 on the west coast, 4 out west (not on the coast), 2 in the midwest, 1 in the south and 2 on the east coast... over the pond there are at least 3 in Europe. Some of these are vendors, others are people who go direct... Like I said this event is meant to encompass the whole coin community. :)

Halifax is between USA and Europe with direct flights from London and New York :lol:

Dallas Fort Worth would be a great place to host Geocoin Fest. We have too many attractions to name.

I would hold it in Grapevine, which is 5 minutes from DFW airport.

We also have very reasonable room rates and most of the hotels have shuttles.

I've sent an email to Avroair detailing what we could bring to the table.

You did a GREAT job this year! WE would like to help from a back-seat position if you need us! I know how to send letters, grab STeve by the neck and get him to help, or whatever else we can do to help the next event to be even BIGGER and BETTER!

Anchorage, Alaska!

Lots of caches ranging from skirtlifters to five star cliff climbs, mountains, Cook Inlet/Turnagain Arm, moose, beluga whales, Dall sheep, salmon, an enthusiastic group of cachers, and a coin mint on 4th Avenue in downtown.

During the proposed time of year, there are direct flights from Frankfurt, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, Houston, Portland, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City to name a few.

If people read the original post, I said:

* volunteer to host an event, NOT propose a city you would like to visit. :huh:

I live too far away or I would have said Seattle, WA. It has many visitor attractions, hotels, airport, and not to mention Groundspeak.

But in the case of hosting I would host in Pocatello, Idaho, or in the surrounding area. We are close to Yellowstone National Park and have an airport, hotels, a domed football stadium (seating 10,000) where the event could be held on the Idaho State University campus. Lots of mountain trails and caches surrounding the city.

* volunteer to host an event, NOT propose a city you would like to visit. :lol:

I live too far away or I would have said Seattle, WA. It has many visitor attractions, hotels, airport, and not to mention Groundspeak.

But in the case of hosting I would host in Pocatello, Idaho, or in the surrounding area. We are close to Yellowstone National Park and have an airport, hotels, a domed football stadium (seating 10,000) where the event could be held on the Idaho State University campus. Lots of mountain trails and caches surrounding the city.

I'd be game for Idaho, if you hosted it :huh:

* volunteer to host an event, NOT propose a city you would like to visit. :huh:

Having visited Pocatello, Idaho, I'd have to point out that it's definitely a scenic area, but a little hard to fly into.

I would propose Battle Mountain NV. Close to Las Vegas and Reno. Well closer than any other location being proposed :( .

If it's not going to be in California because of GW6 then why not Las Vegas? It is almost as easy to get to as Chicago and the weather is nicer. :(

I think a designated tourist trap is a bad idea... on so many levels.

But thats just my opinion...

What about the Atlanta area? It seems to have quite a few coin collectors in the neighborhood and it has great flight connections to the city. Even though it is not in my direct back yard, I personally would not have a problem with helping out, planning, and setting up the event for that area.

A few weeks/months ago, there was a discussion about where to have the next big coin event (before the multi events came up as an intermediate solution) and I believe the East Coast was favored at one time since GW 6 will be on the West Coast next year).

2007: GW5 --> E-Coast ; Coin Fest ---> W-Coast; MWGB ---> North-Central (never quite understood that analogy of M-West-GB being in the North Central)

2008: GW6 --> W-Coast; Coin Fest (Mega :() ---- > East Coast; MWGB ---> North Central.

Any thoughts about that?

What about the Atlanta area? It seems to have quite a few coin collectors in the neighborhood and it has great flight connections to the city. Even though it is not in my direct back yard, I personally would not have a problem with helping out, planning, and setting up the event for that area.

A few weeks/months ago, there was a discussion about where to have the next big coin event (before the multi events came up as an intermediate solution) and I believe the East Coast was favored at one time since GW 6 will be on the West Coast next year).

2007: GW5 --> E-Coast ; Coin Fest ---> W-Coast; MWGB ---> North-Central (never quite understood that analogy of M-West-GB being in the North Central)

2008: GW6 --> W-Coast; Coin Fest (Mega :rolleyes:) ---- > East Coast; MWGB ---> North Central.

Any thoughts about that?

Have to agree with OshnDoc Coinfest somewhere on the East Coast would be great.... :D

Cat calls to be heard from miles around....Boise, Idaho!!! oh yeah!!!

I would host one as long as I had some helpers :)

BOISE OFFERS:

A cache rich city....

Sporting events, you could come watch a BOISE BRONCOS GAME.....BOISE STEELERS (ice hockey).....BOISE HAWKS (baseball).....would need to check the schedules for that particular weekend though.

We also have an ice skating rink....roller rink.....zoo....discovery center....nature center....nature trails.....lots of parks.....motels....airport....bars (LOL)....

As Mr. Explorer3 said Yellowstone National Park isn't too far away....what is that from here? 3 hours?

And the biggest reason I vote to help and have it here....because I for sure would be able to meet lots of people!! :D:rolleyes::cool:

Second favorite place to have it is Canada (good idea Karma) but then I'm back to possibly not going since my husband is mostly a muggle.

I sure hope there are some good hosting bids coming in to Avroair... some of these locations sound very enticing! Pocatello, Boise, Dallas, etc.

The deadline is Nov 7th.

Got so far:

Dallas

Chicago

Arizona (I think, can't remember if something was mentioned online)

I believe there are one or two others being worked on.

Calgary asked for 2009 since they will all be attending GeoRendezVous in Quebec :D

Anchorage, Alaska!

Lots of caches ranging from skirtlifters to five star cliff climbs, mountains, Cook Inlet/Turnagain Arm, moose, beluga whales, Dall sheep, salmon, an enthusiastic group of cachers, and a coin mint on 4th Avenue in downtown.

During the proposed time of year, there are direct flights from Frankfurt, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, Houston, Portland, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City to name a few.

This may sound dumb, But would we need a passport like we would if held elsewhere than "the lower 48"- like we also would for Canada???

Isn't Pocatello close to Salt Lake City? - They must have a decent airport.

Too bad Seattle isn't in the ring or Portland, Ore.

Anchorage, Alaska!

This may sound dumb, But would we need a passport like we would if held elsewhere than "the lower 48"- like we also would for Canada???

Passport for Canada. Alaska and Hawaii are part of the USA and so no passport needed. One of my ex-coworkers is from Pacatello and yes, he flies into Salt Lake City when he goes home to visit. He also goes to some place called Steamboat to gamble!

Anchorage, Alaska!

Well not yet, but if you felt like hosting... :lol: Seriously, I'd jump at the chance to do it in Washington. Hit up Groundspeak and do a little hiking back up behind Mount Vernon in the Scott paper country. :)

The deadline is Nov 7th.

Got so far:

Dallas

Chicago

Calgary asked for 2009 since they will all be attending GeoRendezVous in Quebec :)

Dallas would be nice, but I REALLY hope someone is working on a proposal for Atlanta. I have to agree with OshnDoc that it would be nice to see the event on the East coast next year, and I think Hotlanta would be an awesome location.

Anchorage, Alaska!

Well not yet, but if you felt like hosting... :P Seriously, I'd jump at the chance to do it in Washington. Hit up Groundspeak and do a little hiking back up behind Mount Vernon in the Scott paper country. :lol:

Seriuosly, :) You got to believe me that I am Not an organized person :) . Yet alone for something that big. I would, however, be willing to help :lol:

The deadline is Nov 7th.

Got so far:

Dallas

Chicago

Calgary asked for 2009 since they will all be attending GeoRendezVous in Quebec :)

Dallas would be nice, but I REALLY hope someone is working on a proposal for Atlanta. I have to agree with OshnDoc that it would be nice to see the event on the East coast next year, and I think Hotlanta would be an awesome location.

I would type up a bid for Atlanta, but don't know too much about the place. I'm only about 2 hours from it though.

So love to hold it around here SLC (or in Utah anyway). I would need LOTS of help, though...

GBOTS, I have your back here :) !!! I to would love to see such an event of this caliber here in Salt Lake City!!! There are many things to do and see, depending on the time of year the event is held.

We have an International Airport that supports Delta's western hub as well as many other airlines. We have a great hard core group of cachers that would be more than happy to step up to the plate to help organize, and the cache density for Salt Lake is one of the most favorable you will find!!!.

Edited by Damenace

So love to hold it around here SLC (or in Utah anyway). I would need LOTS of help, though...

GBOTS, I have your back here :D !!! I to would love to see such an event of this caliber here in Salt Lake City!!! There are many things to do and see, depending on the time of year the event is held.

We have an International Airport that supports Delta's western hub as well as many other airlines. We have a great hard core group of cachers that would be more than happy to step up to the plate to help organize, and the cache density for Salt Lake is one of the most favorable you will find!!!.

I could do what I can from 160 miles away to help out if it were in Salt Lake City. Or is it that I am 160 miles closer to Yellowstone National Park. Hint Hint :D

I could always submit a bid for Southern California if anyone would like to visit the Temecula Valley area...

Isn't that where the last Geocoin Fest was held?

Yep...I couldn't find an appropriate tongue-in-cheek frog in the smilies to fully represent the sarcasm in my post. :D

Word has it that if it were to be west coast again this year, Battle Mountain would get the nod.

Word has it that if it were to be west coast again this year, Battle Mountain would get the nod.

Yup! I am to sponsor it. We just have to make reservations far in advanced due to the fact the City sells out all the time.

Battle Mountain is pretty much the middle of Nevada, center of the Universe and all around 'unique' town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Mountain,_Nevada

Edited by nielsenc

Yup! I am to sponsor it. We just have to make reservations far in advanced due to the fact the City sells out all the time.

Battle Mountain is pretty much the middle of Nevada, center of the Universe and all around 'unique' town.

Does it have it's own fight song too? :(

You think that the folks along the East and Gulf Coast would like to have two Geocoin Fest Main Events to be on the West Coast for two years in a row? It is nice out there (West Coast), but hey, there are plenty of very nice places along the East Coast as well. :(

edited for typos (This time I tried to catch the rest of them :(, I guess my fingers are sometimes typing different things than my mind thinks!)

Edited by OshnDoc

Just don't think that the folks along the East and Gulf Coast would like to have to Geocoin Fest Main Event to be on the West Coast for two years in a row. It is nice out there, but hey, there are plenty of very nice places along the East Coast as well. :)

edited for typos

My West coast bid was just me being sarcastic. Avroair knows I swore I would never host another one! :)

I'm still waiting to see if a serious bid from Hotlanta comes in...if not, I already know where my vote will be cast.

My West coast bid was just me being sarcastic. Avroair knows I swore I would never host another one! :)

I'm still waiting to see if a serious bid from Hotlanta comes in...if not, I already know where my vote will be cast.

I would love to do Hotlanta as well, but I guess I am too far away to put a bid in a serious bid for that site?