GEOCOINFEST 08: PITTSBURGH

avroair

Now that the Multi Events are done and packed away it's time to look forward to next year. So if you you are interested in hosting Geocoinfest 2008 let us know in this thread. This is not a voting or nominating someone else thread, the 4 people who worked on the last one will have the final decision on the venue but I would like to open up ideas for where to host it.

Some things people need to think about:

* these things take time to pull together, probably at least 7 months

* the geocoinfest would be held in the fall, probably on or near to Labor Day weekend

* city needs to have an airport that is generally accessible

* city needs to have nearby attractions rather than just the coins

* there needs to be ample hotels in the area

* we are expecting over 500 this time around (MEGA) so the actual site needs to hold at least that many

* there needs to be 2 (preferably 3) local coin coordinators, we need coin people, not general cachers

* need to work within a team environment

* GW6 is in N. California, MWGB is in Indiana, we won't be hosting close to these sites

And the toughest requirement of all:

* you gonna have to work with me (avroair) so if ya can't stand my guts then suck it up and deal with it.

Suggestions, ideas, if ya wanna host it, say so in here! <_<

Dallas Fort Worth would be a great place to host Geocoin Fest. We have too many attractions to name.

I would hold it in Grapevine, which is 5 minutes from DFW airport.

We also have very reasonable room rates and most of the hotels have shuttles.

I've sent an email to Avroair detailing what we could bring to the table.

Just a little imput. If we have it that late in the summer we will run into the same issue of kids in school, a lot won't be able to come as we had last yearbecause it was too early in the year. No big thing to us. ours travels with us, just a thought. That being said the Dallas area does have a lot going for it. We are kinda close to the NC area to even think about anything here.

Just a thought.

MWGB runs August 7 to 10th next year which puts the Fest around 3 weeks later if you go with Labor Day Weekend - August 30 to Sept. 1.

Can the event be pushed a bit later and then look to a southern location for better weather?

Good point, maybe someone from Hawaii should step up to the plate? <_<

Just a thought.

MWGB runs August 7 to 10th next year which puts the Fest around 3 weeks later if you go with Labor Day Weekend - August 30 to Sept. 1.

Can the event be pushed a bit later and then look to a southern location for better weather?

Labor day weekend gives it 3 a day weekend. To mid Sept? That tends to be a full plate of local organization events.

If people read the original post, I said:

* volunteer to host an event, NOT propose a city you would like to visit. :(

Oh Pshaw!

We're real glad to hear that the Calgary bid is still in place. I sure hope the folks making the Calgary bid promoted their successful '88 Olympic bid and how if the IOC thought that Calgary was worthy of keeping Olympic guests happy for two weeks it can certainly keep GCF attendees thoroughly entertained outside of the coin event. I seem to remember that it had darned good urban transportation, beautiful parks, a whole lot of boot-stompin' entertainment, and now it has caches. Make sure you add that to their bid if they missed those tidbits <_<

Just a thought.

I agree with this.

Too much going on in the beginning of the school year to travel on Labor Day. Especially if it is far from home. Also if we are traveling to the MWGB, it is pushing it to travel again in less than a month and two of the already proposed locations put us traveling back in the same direction about the same distance as the Bash.

Columbus Day weekend would be perfect, just like it was this year. For our schools around here they get Friday and Monday off on Columbus Day weekend.

How about the Memphis Area?

Are you close enough to that area or do you know coiners there that would submit the required proposal?

I will be as I am going to move up to Oxford MS, about 45 min south of there. I know prntr1 now has an office up there as well.

And more imprtant, I love challenges :laughing:

And the toughest requirement of all:

* you gonna have to work with me (avroair) so if ya can't stand my guts then suck it up and deal with it.

Edited by OshnDoc

Just a thought.

I agree with this.

Too much going on in the beginning of the school year to travel on Labor Day. Especially if it is far from home. Also if we are traveling to the MWGB, it is pushing it to travel again in less than a month and two of the already proposed locations put us traveling back in the same direction about the same distance as the Bash.

Columbus Day weekend would be perfect, just like it was this year. For our schools around here they get Friday and Monday off on Columbus Day weekend.

I agree that Labor Day is way to close to MWGB in timing Mark. Columbus Day would be the latest I would want to see it, but any time between the final week of September through mid-October would be perfect. Hopefully you'll seriously reconsider the time frame of the event.

Chicago is a good location, I'd be happy to lend a hand if needed. Chicago has a TON of great attractions (Shedd Aquarium is great) including swimming in Lake Michigan, TONS of great locations to eat at, more than enough hotels (but many are way overpriced) and a good amount of caches to keep people happy as well!

I have to agree with some though, the time situation does need a look (IMHO). I also like the Columbus Day weekend since it would mean a long weekend. Also, many people have far too much to do on the last weekend before school, and the MWGB being so close (timewise) some might not be able to afford another trip or might not be able to get time off that soon after.

I loved having ours in October. If we went to Columbus Day weekend would that help with the school kids? Mine are grown, so I don't know.

Also, Labor Day - hotels fill up, and cost more. So do flights.

Columbus Day weekend is a great time!! Not so close to end of summer and kids have that time off as well. An event between summer and Thanksgiving is a great idea!

I vote for Columbus Day Weekend!

V/R,

Dan

Team_DDNight

Reminder

This is not a voting or nominating someone else thread, the 4 people who worked on the last one will have the final decision on the venue but I would like to open up ideas for where to host it.

That would be Avroair, 9Key, Cornerstone4 and myself :laughing:

Edited by AtlantaGal

Just a thought.

I agree with this.

I agree that Labor Day is way to close to MWGB in timing Mark. Columbus Day would be the latest I would want to see it, but any time between the final week of September through mid-October would be perfect. Hopefully you'll seriously reconsider the time frame of the event.

I would certainly consider that, my worry is bad weather, but since it was 78 degrees here on Columbus day. :laughing:

To be more detailed with a post this morning, I would have to vote for Memphis or Chicago also. What a drive to Chicago from Alabama though! But I know not everyone lives down here, I'll just have to plan a vacation haha.

I also think that Labor Day would be a tough time to work things in for an event like this because of all the previously said reasons...

I'll post a quick note while I still have power...

My first preference is somewhere where we haven't had a Mega close enough for cachers to attend. My second thought is the group that is hosting it has to be able to work with Mark.

I had to work with him for the last one...it ain't easy folks! :laughing:

I may not be able to chime in for a while...power is flickering as I type this. It seems like the whole world is on fire down here right now!

I would be interested to hear from Avroair or a member of his team about what input they think coin designers/vendors should have about the location of a geocoin event. Is where we are willing or not willing to go going to be taken into consideration? Perhaps you could poll some of the vendors confidentially once you have a short-list. We got some flack for not going to Raleigh, NC or to MWGB, but it would have cost us thousands to get there and back and transport products. We missed GCF last year because of a wedding, but we'll try not to let that happen again :laughing: .

One other huge consideration (which of course I forgot to mention) is that this event is meant to encompass the whole coin community so it is not limited to one vendor or one coin maker.

As far as I know, there's 3 vendors on the left coast, 3 in the midwest... any one the right coast?

~J

Coins and Pins on the "right" coast B):laughing: {No punt intended B) }