handspring visor and vista

The Broylers

Hi,

Just got a visor deluxe from the garage sale section of the forums. I am in the process of getting set up for paperless caching. Apparently, according to the palm website, the desktop software for this pda is not compatible with windows vista. Does anybody know of a solution? Is there any other desktop software that I can use with the visor son that it will work with Vista?

thanks,

broylers

Bummer . . . you might try downloading a little program called "PilotInstall." I have to use it to send the cache data to my Palm because Palm does not have compatible software for Windows XP "Media Edition." :(
What is "Media edition?" I have XP Home and it works great...

Media Edition came on laptops used for "media." :(

DELL, and other manufacturers, used it until Vista came out, unless you paid extra for "Win XP Professional." <_< It is not supported by Palm. Therefore it is a real hassle to load caches into my Palm from the laptop . . . as opposed to from my Desktop computer running Win2K. However, I rarely use the desktop computer anymore . . .

PilotInstall works, but I have to close all my programs, log off the Limited Account, then log on the Administrator account and only open PilotInstall. Even then, sometimes I get the blue screen of death . . . :D

As a result, I often have "stale data" in my Palm . . .

So far for me, a Visor Deluxe and Windows Vista are a no go.

I've tried palm desktop 4.? and the 6.2? beta for vista.

The beta for vista installs, but hangs on hotsync.

Looks like I've got to upgrade to a Z22.

Bummer, too; my old Visor broke and I got one in new condition shipped off of Ebay for $10.01

Then I got a new computer and vista was the only thing available in the big box stores.

Oh, BTW, I hate vista.

Still hating vista here.

I installed Palm Desktop 4.14e and it worked OK for a day or two.

It hotsynced, but not all my existing applications.

Quickinstall will not work by double clicking a .pdb file, nor can I drag and drop. But using File>Add files works.

Now, today; I try to Hotsync and it starts and as soon as it identifies user it terminates. No joy here.

Right now Magellan and Palm are in a support worst of race, Magellan still has a big lead, but Palm is trying.

Again, all of this is a Handspring Visor Deluxe and Windows Vista.

Try downloading "PilotInstall" and see if it will work for transfering the cache info. It won't HotSync all the data on the Palm, but it will get the .pdb file to either the handheld, or the card, whichever you designate. That is the program I have to use with this XP Media Edition DELL laptop.

PilotInstall worked right off the get go.

Limits my PDA usefullness, but cachemate is my "killer app" right now.

After using Pilotinstall, Hotsync worked; don't know if it's related or not.

It's good to know I have an option if Hotsync doesn't work.

I would like very much to be able to use this software on my vista laptop. Are you using GSAK to create the pdb file? If so what is your procedure ?

Thanks,

broylers