Separate GPS unit or Nokia phone with built-in GPS?

Gandal491

I'm fairly new to geocaching and haven't yet bought a GPS device.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience and would recommend either the Nokia 6110 Navigator or the N95, as both have GPS capability? (There's also a new version of the N95 due out any time now, with 8GB memory.)

Thanks for any advice!

Two downsides to using these models. First, if you cache where there is little or no phone signal, you are toast, since, as I understand it, these units fix your position by triangulation from cell towers, and not from GPS satellites. (If I'm wrong about this, someone will correct me.) Second, most mobile phones are not particularly durable. They may be fine for urban "park and grab" caches, but I wouldn't want to hike into back country with them. Handheld GPS units are much more rugged.

Can you tighten a nut with a pair of pliers? Sure. Should you? Doubtful. (Okay, maybe the better analogy here is an adjustable crescent wrench vs. a ratchet set.) Just my $.02.

Hey Sputnik_57, the Nokia N95 does not need cellular coverage to use the GPS receiver section. In fact you can choose to use the device in "offline" mode to save on power consumption (GSM radio).

You do however need to find third party Symbian software to perform basic geocaching functions as none exist in the commercial package. This device has potential except it is not water resistant as mentioned by another poster.

My guess is it will be junk after the water test if they let you test it..

But hey, most people take their cellphones everywhere they go nowadays, don't they? I've not had any problems with that so far when hiking in the countryside. It's mostly just a matter of being careful, and the better Nokia phones are pretty durable nowadays.

go for the 6110

add a 2 gig mini sdram card for movies -music -photos -gpx data etc...

the built in software will

voice guide you while driving to the cache using the NAVIGATOR software

compass guide you while you walk to the cache using the GPSDATA software

take photos/video of your adventure

third party software such as SPORTSTRACKER (free from nokia site) and SMARTGPX (freeware) will add even more features

add GSAK software (freeware) for your pc and a premium account at groundspeeak and you have everything you'll need in one handheld device.

it's not waterproof out of the box ....but a ziplock bag will make it so =)

you can even call your mum on it

Steve

search for GBLOCK on geocaching.com

feel free to email me

1800steve@gmail.com or through this forum if you want more info

Anyone out there with experience of a Nokia N95 for geocaching who could tell of their experiences?

N95 is great if you add 3. party navigation software in to it, but remember first to update the newest firmware to it. It makes the GPS lot better.

I just started with geocaching, after getting a n95 phone (not the other way around). I did my first find with it, and yes, it works great. 3d party software is a must, although there is Geocache Navigator (http://www.geocachenavigator.com). It has nice features, but to use them all you need an internet connection, either WiFi or 3g/GPRS, not good if you're too far away from a cell tower (or a WiFi access point). The GPS unit does not need cell towers anywhere! The n95 uses satellites, just as any other GPSr. Mine is protected with an acrylic "case" to prevent scratches (already proved usefull), and a high-tech, ultra-mobile ziplock bag for water-proofing... :laughing: