Looking for NYC ares cachers to form a 5star cache team

tomflushing

Hello to all,

Looking for some Geo-Cachers in the NYC area who are looking to do some 5 star caches.I don't have a real high cache count but I'm already getting bored with caches in telephone booths ,key holders under park benches, etc.Besides I don't have a lot free time to get out there so I want my trips to be challenging and hopefully exciting.I have noticed that most 5 star caches out there are usually tackled by teams.Well I'd like to be part of one of those teams and try some of the harder caches in the tri-state area.So if you have had the same idea but nobody to go with lets talk.

Tom

Hello to all,

Looking for some Geo-Cachers in the NYC area who are looking to do some 5 star caches.I don't have a real high cache count but I'm already getting bored with caches in telephone booths ,key holders under park benches, etc.Besides I don't have a lot free time to get out there so I want my trips to be challenging and hopefully exciting.I have noticed that most 5 star caches out there are usually tackled by teams.Well I'd like to be part of one of those teams and try some of the harder caches in the tri-state area.So if you have had the same idea but nobody to go with lets talk.

Tom

We are always up for a 5 cache now and then :) keep me in mind. Are there any ones that you have your eye on?

It is hard for me to try any (since I need to either get time to cache by myself (which may not be a good idea on a "5 star" anyway) or we have to get someone to watch the kids), but if you want to "get your feet wet" you might want to start with this one (an "almost 5") that is pretty near you and is short enough (we actually tried it where my wife watched the kids at the bottom while I went up and looked and vice versa after about 15 minutes, we didn't find it but still very cool and challenging spot) that you could probably do alone or even with your son (I think you mentioned him once in a cache description) if he is interested and is I would say early teens or older:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-e8fb2ed8cc49

There is actually a 2nd "regular" cache just 600 ft. away if you don't find it so you'll still get a smiley for your effort (though I realize your very admirable goal is the challenge and not the numbers):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3e-0e57d5056186

By the way, despite technically being in Manhattan it is on the extreme northern end so there is reasonable street parking too (don't let the location fool you, the terrain rating is valid).

My other advice would be to look at the list for yesterday's Pirates of Harriman event (really really wanted to go to that and had to back out at the last minute, bummer..... :)); I know a lot of the people involved in it (including Miss Keeto, who responded here, and especially the event host, Avroair) do go for 5 star cache hunts and I'm sure they would love to have another one along for the fun.

Keep in mind since you mention free time that except for the ones that require a boat, SCUBA, special equipment, etc. (which are considered a "5" by definition) most of the caches that are on this level of terrain are going to be a goodly drive from Queens (at least to the Harriman/Bear Mountain area or right across the Hudson from that or halfway into Jersey going west). The one other "local" one I know of are these 2 caches relatively near each other in separate parks:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c2-04d49222458f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7a-c076c57c4e01

Like the first ones I mention, there are other "regular" caches nearby too if you're curious.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Hello to all who have responded,

Miss-Keeto-looking to do the air crash cache, fear in Staten Island ( have contacted last two caches who DNF and maybe have this one in the works ) and others in the same vain.

I am open to any other that you or Priss6966 have wanted to try or know about.

Avroair-this is exactly why I want to go out with some other cachers - I would never try to tackle that one on my own.

HaLiJuSaPa- thanks for the information

The WhiteUrkel- I have done one cache on the TC site but my "loyalty " lies with GC.

Please note I'm looking for challenging and exciting caches to find with others and having a 5 star is not the only criteria but rather symbolizes the types of caches I would like to attempt.

Thanks again to all who responded so far.

Add me to the list of people wanting to do Fear. I'm not in NY as often as I'd like but I'd willing to make the trip if a group is going and has the necessary equipment!

Hello ODragon as stated above I am awaiting word from two others cachers from NJ that have tried this one before and they want to take another crack at it.When they get the trip together I will contact you as far in advance as I can when and if this happens.