Coordenates for anywhere..

might be something near a cache you want to see but dont have the coords..does google earth or something have this ? if this is so you could make your own cache in a sence,,kinda like geocaching solitair....

Just click "nearest waymarks" on the cache page and there will pop up a list of interesting spots. If you click SAT on the map it will show the Google Earth map.

from your last find

The easiest way I know to get coordinates for a spot without having to go there and take a GPS reading is through Flash Earth. It's pretty accurate. Just put the crosshairs over the spot and it gives you coordinates.

Recommended for high-speed internet users, mainly.

same way for Google Earth. Long/lat are at bottom of screen.

Are you quite certain about that? :):):)

thanks for the anawers,,i just read in the post by NEOS2 by PAMD that they use google earth to check the coords when they place a new cache....novel idea....

I usually check ALL of the linked maps on a new listing page to verify that the coords are getting me close to the correct spot. I never count on any 1 of them as they can be a little to WAY off sometimes. For Example - Google earth is generally about 10 - 20 foot off in my local area. I know of spots it is up to 150 foot off.

Are you quite certain about that? :laughing:B)B)

Queried Devil's Tower. Zoomed in and held my mouse over the center:

bc871d61-5deb-4245-aba1-9a17c6dd21e1.jpg

Looks like it did a pretty good job:

link to Geocaching Admin Terraserver Viewer of the same coordinates.

Have you been having dreams....

Seen some odd lights in the night sky?

Recently got into clay modeling?

Painting pictures of unknown objects?

Feel compelled to travel?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I too will have to try out GoogleEarth. My laptop that just died couldn't run it since it was the really crippled Microsoft ME operating system.

I have been using maps.google.com but there you do not see coordinates.

If you like Devils Tower (natural area), try looking at Rotonda Florida (quite unnatural area).

It's not as easy as Google Earth, but Google Maps will give coordinates.

Right-click on the location

Select "Center Map Here"

Click "Link to this Page" above map

The coords will be in the URL provided (in DDD.dddddd format)

Select "Center Map Here"

That's perfect. Thanks.

Select "Center Map Here"

Back to beating the horse.

With Maps at Google's new addition of Terrain and Traffic and Street View... it appears that this method to get the coords of a spot on one of their satellite photos is now broken. Darn it, now I'm goinig to have to upgrade my laptop so that I can use Google Earth, but I suggest us millions of people who use maps.google.com send a nasty note to them to get them to bring that feature back.

And I thought only geocaching.com gets broken features.

Select "Center Map Here"

Back to beating the horse.

With Maps at Google's new addition of Terrain and Traffic and Street View... it appears that this method to get the coords of a spot on one of their satellite photos is now broken. Darn it, now I'm goinig to have to upgrade my laptop so that I can use Google Earth, but I suggest us millions of people who use maps.google.com send a nasty note to them to get them to bring that feature back.

And I thought only geocaching.com gets broken features.

Still works for me...:unsure:

The easiest way I know to get coordinates for a spot without having to go there and take a GPS reading is through Flash Earth. It's pretty accurate. Just put the crosshairs over the spot and it gives you coordinates.

I tried this, but prefer Google Earth MUCH better. It is much faster! You can also read the coords in different formats there...

Yes, it works for me again. Perhaps different browsers make it not work and or different proxy servers and content filters at different libraries.

P.S. Yes this is maps.google.com on ANY computer including ones I don't own, not the program 'GoogleEarth' on MY computer (which I actually can't use right yet as that laptop has, dare I say it, Windows ME, ARRG.

Edite to add.

Oh, and it's not Center Here that gives the coords, it's Directions From Here or To Here. But since it wasn't working for me yesterday I couldn't see those various options.

Edited by trainlove

Maybe a little off topic, but there is another thing I really like with Google Earth. If you go to "My Accounts" there is a place you can download Geocache Browser in Google Earth.

This will give you Google Earth KML.

With KML you can just view anywhere on Google Earth and it will show where all the caches are and what type. Best way I've found yet for finding caches in an area I am going to.

Maybe a little off topic, but there is another thing I really like with Google Earth. If you go to "My Accounts" there is a place you can download Geocache Browser in Google Earth. This will give you Google Earth KML.

With KML you can just view anywhere on Google Earth and it will show where all the caches are and what type. Best way I've found yet for finding caches in an area I am going to.

Could you explain more about loading this? I tried to find this and couldn't. I have the latest Google Earth version 4.2. I can't find anything called "My Accounts." But Google's user guide says that to add KML content, click Add Content under the Places panel, then search for the content that interests you. Searching there for geocache or cache or GPS doesn't return anything.

This sounds cool, but I can't find how to load this. Any more information would be appreciated! :D

Edited by steve p

The download link for KML is on your accounts page of Geocaching.com, not in Google earth. At least that is where I found it. :D

Look on the right side of the opening page of "My Accounts" down near the bottom.

Click the link and it will ask "Open or Save?" You can do either, but I saved the file in my C:\Program Files\Google Earth\ folder as GeocachingNetworkKML.kml and put a shortcut to that on my desktop so all I have to do is double click the icon. No need then to log onto your account here to have it run.

Stop talking about second source software.

I'm talking about using a public library anywhere in the world and not a single one of them will have Streets & Trips or allow you to load up any software you want. I'm not talking about someones own personal computer that has whatever software one wwants on it, like my own for example with 6 different kinds of Topo software on it.

I'm talking about web sites that allow you to look at a spot and get the coords of that spot. Web sties that you can go to from any internet cafe or library or even with your PDA...

maps.google.com,

a few others mentioned in follup replies,

terraserver.microsoft.com (well you can't get the coords of a point on the photo.),

The download link for KML is on your accounts page of Geocaching.com, not in Google earth. At least that is where I found it.

Look on the right side of the opening page of "My Accounts" down near the bottom.

Click the link and it will ask "Open or Save?" You can do either, but I saved the file in my C:\Program Files\Google Earth\ folder as GeocachingNetworkKML.kml and put a shortcut to that on my desktop so all I have to do is double click the icon. No need then to log onto your account here to have it run.

Cool! Thanks for the tips. I got it to work now.

I don't know why I was so focused on finding "My Accounts" on the Google Earth application, instead of on geocaching.com.

This could be an alternative to the cache maps that used to work on geocaching.com, but which now won't work on so many people's computers. :D

I completely agree that this is the absolute best mapping "thing". I say "thing" because it's not software like google earth, but it can run off other maps. Whatever.

Are you quite certain about that? :D:):P

Queried Devil's Tower. Zoomed in and held my mouse over the center:

bc871d61-5deb-4245-aba1-9a17c6dd21e1.jpg

Looks like it did a pretty good job:

link to Geocaching Admin Terraserver Viewer of the same coordinates.

Check out these pics of flash Earth.

Here is bassically the same pic that Google Earth provides:

untitled-1.jpg

...And this is another pic, but zoomed in:

untitled1.jpg

If you use google earth and try to zoom in this far, it's gets blurry.

Edited by Arndtwe