Fun Travel Bug Race

Myself and Gryffindor UK (Daniel my 13 year old son) have decided to have a fun travel bug race among ourselves, we are thinking about having about 15-20 missions each to complete before the bugs coming back home to Durham to win.

I am looking for some fun ideas of simple/easy missions.

Daniel suggested having a photo taken with a Hummer/Stretch Limo, having a photo taken with a dog, I thought about having a photo taken outside of an Asda store, or a photo at the seaside, those kind of things.

We dont want to say a photo outside Buckingham Palace, or with the Angel of the North ect as we would like the bugs to be able to travel anywhere and still be able to complete a part of its mission.

Any ideas, I am sure you lot could think of some great easy quick missions :P

M :blink:

Ann Summers ! No the possibilities are too numerous really, you need to set a theme

'Going shoppin' The superstores and a market perhaps

'Old Britain' Your castles, stocks, thatched cottages, castles as mentioned phone boxes, post box, mounting steps, wells etc

'Entertainment' Celeb photo, autograph, football match as mentioned, rugby, ice hockey, cinema, theatre, pool

'Magpie' Collect items to the TB, Key, ring, nut, washer, can opener, bottle opener, nail clippers, etc etc.

'Uniformed workers' Soldier, sailor, RAF, Postman!, Fireman, Ambulance, AA, RAC, Policeman etc, etc

Feel sure that you'll come up with something different you usually do.

Will we get to see your final choices please?

This is what we have come up with so far Lilian :(

1 photo with dog

2 attach a laminated photo of a celeb from a paper magazine ect

3 photo with a fire engine

4 photo with a light house

5 photo with a vilage/town/county beginning with M (for me) and D (for Daniel)

6 dropped in a cache beginning with M (for me) and D (for Daniel)

7 attach an old key

8 attach something pink (for me) blue (for Daniel)

9 TB to be logged by a cacher with over 1000 finds

10 attach a washer/nut

11 photo with a church spire

12 attach a laminated geocaching call card

13 attach a path tag or wooden geocoin

14 a photo with a cacher we have met

15 photo with a teddy bear

16 attach a keyring

17 email us a joke through our profile

18 a photo with either the 2008 or 2009 Geocaching Calendar (that was Daniel's idea :( )

19 put the tb into a cache we have found

20 Get the TB back to our Durham Bug Box to win the race once all the missions are completed.

I actually think it is quite good, and I think most cachers would be able to do almost any of the simple missions, a lot of the ideas were Daniel's and we are doing it just for funs so hopefully it should all be OK.

What we want to do is post out the TBs to cachers at least 200 miles away from us for them to start the race for us, so they don't stay around Durham and have to race back once the missions are completed.

I was thinking of asking you to start mine and asking Coco aka Dakar 4x4 to start Daniels

Do you think they are OK ? <_<

Mandy :D

Why not just race to pre-selected locations and back. Here is what I did? Both racers are now about 200 miles from the finish. I am planning on another race after a short rest.

TB BLUE BEAR #1

TB BLUE BEAR #2

<_<

Thats a good idea too, we have geocaching friends in Oregan, we could set up a race to see which of us could get our TB into their hands first

M :(

If you are asking me then we would be very pleased to start yours off.

One question though - would each cacher be able to do only one of the tasks? Eg I could take a photo with a lighthouse AND put it into a cache starting with M??Would that be fair??? The tasks would decrease as time went on anyway.

You have my address don't you?? So whenever you are ready.

Thanks

Lilian

Oops and photo of the dog!!!!

If you are asking me then we would be very pleased to start yours off.

One question though - would each cacher be able to do only one of the tasks? Eg I could take a photo with a lighthouse AND put it into a cache starting with M??Would that be fair??? The tasks would decrease as time went on anyway.

You have my address don't you?? So whenever you are ready.

Thanks

Lilian

Oops and photo of the dog!!!!

Only one mission per cacher (the light house one would be good thats probably the hardest :D<_< )

I will get back to you, (I want the calendars totally finished with first )

Thanks Lilian pet :(

:( Great idea... But

7 attach an old key

10 attach a washer/nut

16 attach a keyring

How big will this TB be, in order to...

20 Get the TB back to our Durham Bug Box to win the race once all the missions are completed.

I'd hate to have to hang on to one of these TB's, once every thing had been attached, until we found a LARGE cache to drop it into! <_<

G

:( Great idea... But

7 attach an old key

10 attach a washer/nut

16 attach a keyring

How big will this TB be, in order to...

I'd hate to have to hang on to one of these TB's, once every thing had been attached, until we found a LARGE cache to drop it into! <_<

G

I thought they were only tiny thing, I had thought about not attaching to much as it would get bigger/heavier.

OK maybe I need to rethink again.

Only one mission per cacher (the light house one would be good thats probably the hardest wink.gif laugh.gif )

Only if you live Inland :(:D personally I can visit at least 4 light houses within a hour of home <_<

Now if you want a real challenge :D a photograph of the TB in the hands of one of the Reviewers whilst stood at a cache :(

Do the TBs need to get all of these 20 missions done??

I ask this just because my (albeit limited) experience with TBs is that it would take an age and a half for all those things to get done. A significant minority of moves won't actually pay any attention to the mission at all, another minority will read it but will not be able to help so may either move on anyway or may leave in situ ("sorry, can't help with your mission"). Add to that one or the other bugs will almost inevitably have a few months here and there lying in quiet caches, this could be a looong race.

Perhaps that's just me being pessimistic, or perhaps that's your intention?

We could get a photo of a light house but we would have to go out of our way a little bit, we are on the North East coast of England but still a way from a light house, ahhhh but did I say it had to be a real light house? noooo I did not, what about your train set is there not a light house on there? see ways and means ways and means :(

Yes Team Sieni the idea was for the bugs to complete the 19 simple missions, one per caching team that picked up the TBs then the first one to get back to our Durham Bug Box was the winner, we are in no hurry it was only for a little bit of fun for myself and the bairn, we would not release TBs if we were in a hurry, I have too many out there to not know they dont move very quickly. <_<

Anyway we are going to give it a bash and see how it goes.

We have a Tb that is going to all the castle hill caches in the UK. We have attached a list of the castle hill caches to the Tb as each one is done we have asked that a punch is put through the relevant one so it can easily be seen where the Tb has been/ is still to go. We have yet to see whether this works or not, but the thinking is that sometimes you will pick up for example a Tb that is trying to visit all the english counties and it is very hard to work out where it has already visited. May be worth considering attaching a similar tick list of your tasks to the Tb?

havec a photo taken with a naked model

The boy is 13 ... sheesh! :)

It'd be right up his street then....

I don't even think these replies to my question for a family TB race even warrant an answer :)

My 13 year old is probably more mature than you :lol:

M

Some people need their minds scrubbed

2004 Benelli TNT Naked Model

Benelli-2004-TNTNakedBike.jpg