micro SD Cards

olbluesguy

Are the maps you want to load on a card the map included on the unit? or a DVD bought apart?

If it's a DVD, yes. You can upload them with mapsource.

If it's the GPSr basemap, it is not stored in a MicroSD card. So changing the microSD card won't change anything.

All the cards are the same (in fact they are almost all made in the same place, even if different brands), but do not use the Sandisk extreme II. And I am unsure wether the 4Gb cards work or not.

Garmin maps are compatible with most blank microSD cards 2GB or less in size. The exception is the SanDisk Ultra II format which is not compatible.

If the existing map software is installed on your computer, and doesn't require unlock codes, there should be no problem loading them to a blank card. If the map software is locked, you will need another unlock code for the new receiver. The older maps could be unlocked to two different receivers, but the new maps can only be unlocked to one.

My Sansa MP3 player uses MicroSD cards. I have one Kingston and one Sandisk, both 2GB. I've had problems with MS Vista reading the MicroSD adapters consistently, so I bought the USB/MicroSD adapter that Office Depot sells for about $8. It permits a MicroSD card to be read via a USB port and used like pocket flash drive, but after two weeks being carried in my pocket, the adapter's snap-cover lost its "snap"...it just flops around. It still works fine as a USB adapter, and the computer always recognizes the MicroSD but its not rugged enough for pants pocket duty. I haven't seen any other similar adapters, but they may be out there.

Edited by DWPC

There are 3 SD card manufacturers - SanDisk, Toshiba, and Panasonic. Other brands buy in bulk from one of these and put their own labels on them.

The problem with the adapters is probably Vista, not the adapters. Vista wasn't ready for prime time, and still isn't. Lots of things don't work under it.