Who likes puzzle caches?

jerryo

I had an idea for a puzzle cache once involving a statistical tool i use at work.

It was that realisation that it was going to be more about showing off how clever i was rather than this is a great spot hope you enjoy it that led me to not go ahead with any cache based on this we can make our hides hard enough without the need for creating hard puzzles.

I used to be able to prove that statistical tool (and others) when I was fresh out of my stats degree not so long ago. I wouldn’t remember where to start now. Shame.

I agree, though, I had a puzzle cache based on atomic weights and the final coordinates were actually numbers given by the atomic weights of some compounds that you had to work out from a chemical reaction. Admittedly it was googlable(sp), but it was stupid, although some people got it. It was when a professional chemist was asking for help that I decided I was being rather smarmy about it and changed it to a multi. It’s still enough of a challenge.

I can't really be bothered with puzzles. I prefer the physical side of walking / running round caches. Also puzzles are to be avoided when with the kids.

I do solve the puzzles, but usually with the help of a friend or two. I rarely sit down for very long with them as I lose interest.

I noticed a quick comment by rutson before

I regard his puzzles as the most ingenious & mind boggling around.

His puzzles were the inspiration for me to have a go at setting some, in particular, Fiona Lewis (GC15H1V).

However now I've proved to myself I can set a testing puzzle, I won't be doing any more. It's not what I'm about.

Regarding the proliferation of caches in the Reigate area [my home town] - yes there are quite a few and it does make the placement of caches difficult as they seem to to be everywhere!

This is especially a problem where I have been placing some of my own 'Extreme 'caches. On more than one occasion I have been throwing myself off bridges [and the odd cliff] only to find that there is a proximity issue and the cache cannot be allowed !

That said the reviewers without exception have been really considerate and have advised me in advance whether a placement is a 'goer' or not. But it has put me off and most of the good sites are now not available

Also, one of the major Puzzle cache culprits [tjpakuai] has kindly assisted me with proximity problems and kindly moved one of his own caches to enable one of my mad ones [Crazy Gang].

He has also ammended a multi cache to make it slightly easier for us mear mortals to achieve in an area of outstanding beauty which otherwise would not have been accessable. [North Downs Way Micro Trail End]

'Sadexploration 'has a good idea with his 'Novel Cache series' of slghtly difficult caches in which they will be archived after a year to free up the area for someone else to place a cache .

A good example to follow I feel, what do you think? perhaps some of the less visited and difficult puzzles should be archived?

Do I do puzzle caches? -not if I have to but there are different caches for everyone and that is surely a good thing?

Edited by Cache U Nutter

Well, as a commuter who spends nearly three hours a day in the tender hands of South West Trains, I love "proper" puzzle caches - of the "Sofa" type, as someone near the top of this thread said. They give me some caching activity to do at a time I couldn't go caching any other way!

But I DO agree, it would be good if there was some way to identify this sort of cache without trawling through all the "Any other kind" icons...

I'm trying very hard to not to stomp and shout. :)

I'd just like to point out that if you don't like puzzles, then don't do the flipping cache (or certainly don't complain when you can't work the thing out - you didn't have to waste your time on it).

How often do we hear people complaining:

I HATE MICROS

I HATE NANOS

I HATE MULTI CACHES

I HATE VIRTUAL CACHES

I HATE WEBCAM CACHES

I HATE EARTH CACHES

etc etc

Everyone plays the game differently, and puzzle caches are a very welcome aspect in my opinion. One person logged one of my caches like this:

"Yeh, it IS still there, if you are told where to find it!

I have no compunction in saying I had a lot of help on this - why? because this is not straightforward at all and needs local knowledge to complete - bah humbug. And geocaching is about finding the location not solving extremely cryptic puzzles first."

Interesting. I would have thought that he might have expected some kind of a puzzle given the cache type(mystery), the description and the instructions. I'm not going to argue about any of this because the difficulty he had was deliberate.

I may not be that good at lots of puzzles, but I like them as they teach you something. I don't think I've ever been taught as much by a straight forward traditional cache. Providing that they are not completely impossible without a science degree, I think that they are great. If it means some time alone with Google, a piece of paper and a calculator then that's fine by me.

What I think is a real shame is that people are so aggressive about the way others want to do geocaching. I am selective about the caches I do - if I want to do it, I do and if I don't, I don't. A bit simple perhaps, but at least I enjoy myself and don't feel the need to grumble about the caches I visit!

TTFN

A decent puzzle cache will sometimes attract us to an area we wouldn't otherwise have gone to and we'd make a day of it doing nearby trad/multis while we're there.

We find 'just google for it' type of puzzles somewhat tedious but do do them eventually.

We've set a few puzzle caches and each one is different. I have lots of ideas for puzzles but it sometimes ends up feeling like a waste of a location :(

One of our puzzles (and accompanying bonus cache ;) ) is in a lovely spot but seems to be a lot tougher than we first thought which is a shame really...

I love doing puzzle caches, I like the challenge. I've struggled with loads, revisited them and either given up or got that Eureka moment when the solution or method becomes obvious.

The caches that have given me most satisfaction upon completion have been puzzle caches.

I've got a few worked out and looking forward to going out and finding them one day soon.

I don't think it matters if some are visited infrequently. A few delighted logs is better than loads of so so comments IMHO

A few delighted logs is better than loads of so so comments IMHO

I have to agree. I think its great when people visit one of my caches and l like people to write a log! Just a few lines, nothing extravagant but something more than "Hey, that was a good challenge. Like the surprise." I quote those particular words because those are ones used on one of my caches on the Great Orme in Llandudno. It takes about 3 hours to do, takes them from sea level, to the top of the Orme, gaining height, across the countryside and with great views of mountains, estuaries, seascapes and views of a splendid Victorian seaside town. Along the way they do some mildly brain expanding algebra and when they get to the cache there is a surprise which after 3 hours I hope is mildly interesting and then people write one sentence Found it logs!!!!! ;)

I've also set a puzzle cache where it isn't actually a puzzle, but the requirement is write the log in a Sherlock Holmes theme. So the cache has to be set as a mystery / puzzle. Some of the logs on cache are quite good - cachers have to remember its a two way relationship on a cache!

I want people to find a cache. This puts me off from setting lots of puzzle caches, but likewise, I want to know about their experience. I try to give them an experience by not setting drive-bys... This has gone mildly off-topic now, but I've had my vent. :(

I like them. I found quite a few and set quite a few. Sometimes people write to me to ask for help and sometimes I have to ask other puzzle cache setters for help. Some people have stated on this thread that that's a bad thing but I disagree. It's a good way of getting to know other cachers. I tend to take a look at them when they come into my radar. What I mean my that is as you find more and more trads then the pocket query nearest to your home (and in my case work) coordinates will have more and more puzzles. There was a puzzle cache that was my nearest unfound cache (well its published coordinates were) so I felt compelled to solve and find. Those of you who don't like puzzle caches, what do you do in this situation? Do you just ignore them on pocket queries or do you actually put them on an ignore list so they don't crop up at all?? I am curious because I often wonder if my puzzle caches are on anyone's ignore list (its just curiosity I don't mind at all if they are!).

Edited by Foinavon

I like them. I found quite a few and set quite a few. Sometimes people write to me to ask for help and sometimes I have to ask other puzzle cache setters for help. Some people have stated on this thread that that's a bad thing but I disagree. It's a good way of getting to know other cachers. I tend to take a look at them when they come into my radar. What I mean my that is as you find more and more trads then the pocket query nearest to your home (and in my case work) coordinates will have more and more puzzles. There was a puzzle cache that was my nearest unfound cache (well its published coordinates were) so I felt compelled to solve and find. Those of you who don't like puzzle caches, what do you do in this situation? Do you just ignore them on pocket queries or do you actually put them on an ignore list so they don't crop up at all?? I am curious because I often wonder if my puzzle caches are on anyone's ignore list (its just curiosity I don't mind at all if they are!).

what do I do? I suffer! I hate seeing unfound caches near me, but some of them are unsolvable (by me) so unfortunately, they will stay unsolved for the time being!

I agree about the exchange of ideas, it gets locals talking to each other, which is a good thing. However, I would say if the smartest puzzle solvers in my area (and trust me, the puzzles round here are tough and plentiful) have to contact the owner for help, then maybe it is a little too difficult...

Anyone who has an issue with puzzle caches should try living near Reigate! :D

I work the same as Foinavon. I do the trads and multis and virts. Then as as the puzzles come into my geo-radar, I work on them. Now that I have GSAK (only had it a couple of months) that has made a big difference. It means that once I have worked out a puzzles co-ordinates, I update the GSAK database. And the next time I am in that area (which could be a few weeks) I already have the correct (hopefully!!) co-ords to go and get that little piece of tupperware! :D

Besides, with the dark rainy nights when maybe its not the brightest thing to be out and about hunting little boxes, it gives you an excuse to stay in and still do something cachey! :D

I can only echo many of the comments made here.

'A further problem with that level of puzzle saturation is that the caches themselves may be in beautiful or interesting places which other cachers would like to see, but they don't know about them because the cache location is hidden behind a puzzle. A Trad, or even a Multi, would bring many more cachers to the area (which might or might not be a good thing :lol: ).'

I TOTALLY AGREE !!!! :laughing:;)