Who likes puzzle caches?

jerryo

This post was prompted by someone using the expression “proper puzzle caches of the settee solving type” in another recent thread. Puzzles have come up a few times recently and I was wondering what does everyone think about them as sit-at-home puzzles rather than “unknown” caches that are what you discover when you are outside geocaching, which is what this hobby’s all about IMHO. If I want to do a puzzle, I'll go to a puzzle site.

Personally, I think they are only "proper puzzles" if they relate directly in their puzzling aspect to finding Tupperware inter alia - i.e. ones where the cache details are unknown, or indeed puzzling, until you figure out what to do once you're out there. I really don't like the sit-at-home puzzles that have nothing to do with geocaching (music quizzes, general knowledge, global Internet picture searches), and are difficult sometimes because they are so woolly that only the setter understands the full logic in them and hasn't communicated the full story, understandably, because they already know the answer.

Admittedly I have such a puzzle but the answer’s on the page and it says so in the hint. :surprise:

well since i originally said it, I suppose I'd better add to this thread! :surprise: (possibly 'proper' wasn't the right term, but you know what I mean!)

Anyway, apart from the fact that I’m surrounded by very difficult ones, I do prefer the sit at home and solve ones! IMHO, a great benefit of caching is finding out things about places – either beautiful views, interesting facts, lovely walks, whatever. This is even more enjoyable for areas you think you know! A lot of the puzzles round here requires research into local history – so I know that Joseph Swan is buried down the road, Barnes Wallis was brought up nearby, and the inventor of ‘X’ worked at a small village church (clue for local cachers…) and a load of other things about where I live. This makes the puzzles fascinating (and difficult), where if I was taken to a plaque to get some info for a small multi, I wouldn’t remember or take note of half the information.

I also like to know the final cords before setting out, as it allows me to plan a nice walk among a group of caches, rather than be jumping in and out of the car to retrieve information from random villages in North Surrey! Oh, and it gives me something to do on cold winter evenings!

well since i originally said it, I suppose I'd better add to this thread! (possibly 'proper' wasn't the right term, but you know what I mean!)

Oh, I hope you didn't mind my referring to your post :surprise: . I wasn't criticising ot in any way at all, just using it as an intro, as it were. :ph34r:

We like them, but in moderation. There was a spate of them published on the edge of our notification area recently, and all the Googling got a bit tedious. I guess we select what we fancy doing and have a mix of caches if out for the day.

Those that can't be worked out, unless you get help from the setter, don't do it for us. If we are going for a 5 star difficulty we wouldn't expect to be helped, in the same way that we wouldn't expect someone to carry us to a remote place for a 5 star terrain cache :surprise: Fat chance :ph34r:

We do apprecitae a check on the working-outs, geochecker, etc., before setting off and tend to ignore those that can't be checked.

Having read the theme about power trails, this seems to be in a similar vein. Is it because certain areas are getting a glut of similar caches as cache density goes up? As far as I know we don't have any power trails near us, and have a fairly well balanced ratio of local caches IMHO, but we do understand the sentiments of jerryo, PUP and others if there are lots locally.

L&H

There are two kinds of puzzle caches. The honest to goodness hearty puzzle caches that are challenging but fun to solve. These are really good :) . and the utterly obscure exercises in self congratulation set by a clique of up-themselves intellectual snobs. These of course, are v bad indeed. :surprise:

It's easy to tell the difference, the first category are the ones you can do, and the second are the ones you can't! :ph34r: Boom boom!

Seriously, though. I thought I'd really like puzzle caches when I first got into caching, as I like crosswords, sudoku, kakuru, New Scientist enigmas and stuff like that but the problem is that as I don't know the location, I don't know if I want to plan a walk there! Also I couldn't figure out the method to go about many puzzles! ;) (These are obviously category 2, BAD puzzle caches)

So no, personally, I'm not a fan, and slkip over them when I see them. But that's not a problem, but there are more than enough non-puzzle caches left for me! A Chaq'un son gout and all that. Mange tout, mange tout.

Puzzle caches to solve at home, great for the bad weather days when you need a fix. Then it is an extra to find when the weather is better.

I second that!

Or if one of us is working, the other can solve (or try to) the puzzle.

G

Or email every previous finder for the answer :ph34r:

I agree with Team Sieni if i can solve them or look at them and know how to solve them they are great .

Ive heard of a few where you have to find not only the type of cypher but the exact same website used to encode the dadgum thing as well.....

546 found 40 of which are mystery caches so 7.3 %

22042 caches in the UK of which 2140 are classified as mystery (excluding members only) so 9.7% of Uk caches are mystery caches.

Id reckon 50% of these are sudokus which only leaves 1070 to solve. ;):surprise:

well since i originally said it, I suppose I'd better add to this thread! (possibly 'proper' wasn't the right term, but you know what I mean!)

Oh, I hope you didn't mind my referring to your post :ph34r: . I wasn't criticising ot in any way at all, just using it as an intro, as it were. ;)

not at all! I think I intended to pepper my post with a few more smilies, but you know how it is! :surprise:

Oh, and if anyone is vaguely interested in what I mean about my area, centre on a cache called Look Sharp 2 and see how many puzzles are nearby! (LS2 is one of the few I HAVE managed to solve!)

Oh.. Me. Me.... I like Puzzles... In fact, I think it's the variety of caches I like most... If every cache was the same, be that Trad, Puzzle, Multi, etc... then that would be a cause for concern.

J

In that case, if I have a puzzle cache in my area and I sent you the info, would you be interested in solving the puzzle part and I'll get the cache and log you as a finder too??? Team effort. I'm only half kidding and that half's only if I'm going to get flamed. Otherwise... :surprise:

In that case, if I have a puzzle cache in my area and I sent you the info, would you be interested in solving the puzzle part and I'll get the cache and log you as a finder too??? Team effort. I'm only half kidding and that half's only if I'm going to get flamed. Otherwise... ;)

I think you'll find I said I LIKED doing them, not that I was GOOD at doing them :ph34r:

I'll happily feed you co-ords to have you running around on the off chance I'm right! :surprise:

Jon

"Team Jerryo"

Edited by Dakar4x4

I must admit we are not fans. We have come across some and sit thinking are we thick or what. We just don't know what they mean and we hate having to ask as it makes us look even worse. I just wish they would give us a starting point. Newbies don't stand a chance on some of them. It is even worse when all the logs say things like "worked out quickly" or "brilliant puzzle" etc etc. I dislike them even more when there are no additional hints. It drives us mad. Lord and Lady Sonatella are not the brightest buttons in the box! I have done some but only when they are really easy. As for the rest well they will have to stay a mystery. Now we know a few more people it is easier to ask and they are usually very kind and helpful. If you look down the caches we have done it is a shame because you come across these blue question marks they are not given red ticks next to them. I agree with some of the other comments if I want to do a puzzle I will go to a puzzle site. :surprise: However some people love them so why spoil their fun. I think you take from Geocaching what you like and you can leave what you don't. That is one of the great things about it. Each to their own it is what makes the world go around. Take care and happy caching. It is all a mystery to me lol. :ph34r:;):)

I don't like multis but I don't complain about them in the forums. No-one is forcing you to do puzzles.

Here we go again?

Unsure who you think is complaining? I am not too keen on multies myself, but at least they rely on the skill of the cacher in using a GPSr.

Mysteries introduce an additional skill that don't rely on use of the GPSr.

I still like 'em if I can solve them though :surprise:

Jon

Oh here we go again.... if you don't like puzzles, leave them alone and stop whining.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before you stepped in with your opinion. You seem to be renowned for taking – and giving – offence when someone posts something you don’t “approve” of.

As you say, you can always ignore cache types you don’t like. In the same way you can ignore – as you’ve probably unkindly pointed out on more than one occasion – threads you don’t like. You never seem to manage to do that, though, do you? You always have some snide, acerbic, and valueless comment to add to the forum. And remember it is a forum and not a library: people are entitled to ask questions and I checked for recent similar topics before I posted what was, in fact, a polite question. Another fact that you seem to have overlooked. If you can get over yourself and think about something constructive to say it would make a refreshing change.

I don't like multis but I don't complain about them in the forums. No-one is forcing you to do puzzles.

You don’t like much, do you? And you complain about everything else.

We really enjoy the challenge of puzzle caches and think caching would be a lot worse off without the diversity they offer. I enjoy working on them on a winter's evening - lots more fun than watching TV :surprise:.

We'd never stop in at home solving them when we could be out walking and finding caches but there is plenty of time round this to solve them at home.

Cacher's as a group tend to be intelligent, innovative individuals and this really shows in quite a few puzzles as they have more twists and turns than you initially think. Some of the locations they have taken us to have been fabulous too - something we would otherwise have missed out on.

Our particular favourites are some of the puzzles in Cheshire and the Wirral which at times have been very challenging, but extremely rewarding as you crack them, piece by piece.

We also appreciate they are not for everyone, which is a positive as the diversity caching offers means everyone can find something they enjoy in there somewhere :ph34r:.

Great sense of success cracking a puzzle BUT it must take me to somewhere nice or teach me something interesting. I loathe puzzles for puzzles sake. Roughly 10% of the caches done have been puzzles and most have been OK.

I do gnaw again and again at puzzles I cant do - and once in a while have that eureka moment.

I have been known to set a few puzzle caches: just under 50% of my caches are puzzling. Of these a couple are a bit 'dubious' but seem still to get visited so I leave them active.

Ones I have enjoyed are:

GCMF6N ( its the final surprise that is so good on this one - not really a puzzle at all )

GCJ55E ( reverse enginered this and was so chuffed! )

GCMBXM ( hardly a puzzle but - hey - we all played games like this one )

GC992B ( one of the greats!!! re-instate asap - had me tearing my hair out )

GCN0R9 ( one of those eureka caches - took a while though - learnt a lot )

GCXEXG ( just because its so cute and clever )

GCT0FF ( possibly the cleverest one I've ever cracked - one of the TRUE GREATS - re-instate asap!!!)

GCZ9GH ( what a neat idea - not difficult though it took a whole train journey to Edinburgh to work out )

GCWH8V ( yep ... visited the wrong location three times before cracking this one! )

Elzzep caches, I enjoy them, there is something satisfying about figuring out how to find where the cache is. Some are easier than others, though (sp??).

On The light of life series - I spent almost three month trying to figure it out - on and off - PS as per my log I did actually visit Greece and an ex Mental Asylum before I solved them (These trips may or may not have helped - it may just be my strange and warped mind!).

100 Degrees and Alfred's accolade I figured out quite easily - One I have found the other I haven't got to yet - although I know exactly where it sould be!

I like making my brain work, it makes finding the tupperware even more interesting, keep them coming!

OK so my sister and me disagree on Puzzle caches - She avoids them like the plague - with a couple of exceptions - but everyone should know the answer to the twist to "Who was born here" if not stay behind the Sofa.

Edited by Fifth Barrowcliffe

We like puzzle caches, because you get two GOTCHA! rewards.

With a trad, you get one GOTCHA, when you find the box. But with a puzzle, you get two; one when you crack the puzzle, and another when you find the box. In some cases, you get even more, because it's a multi-stage puzzle.

In that case, if I have a puzzle cache in my area and I sent you the info, would you be interested in solving the puzzle part and I'll get the cache and log you as a finder too??? Team effort. I'm only half kidding and that half's only if I'm going to get flamed. Otherwise... :D

I think you'll find I said I LIKED doing them, not that I was GOOD at doing them :P

I'll happily feed you co-ords to have you running around on the off chance I'm right! :blink:

Jon

"Team Jerryo"

Harrogate at Easter, and I have loads of puzzle caches to do that way on.

Remember who is your bestest friend Coco :D Loads of GC numbers on the way.

I kid you not :P

Lady Gad :D

When your not part of Team Jerryo (you really dont want to go caching with J, he likes falling down holes and getting wet, I know I've been there and seen the proof :P ) we could be 5x5 and Jess :blink:

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Caching for me is about getting outside and doing some nice walks instead of sitting around in front of the TV or Computer for hours on end. :blink:

I dont mind the odd one, but IMHO there are too many of them now and some people seem to want to set puzzle caches for the sake of it......and if we are totaly honest, how many of them get their final co-ordinates shared amongst friends anyway.

We all play the game differently, and we all have our preferences......mine is to get outside and do some nice walks :P

Oh here we go again.... if you don't like puzzles, leave them alone and stop whining.

<snip>

I would suggest that it is possible to state your opinion without starting an attack on the someone taking an opposing position.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before you stepped in with your opinion. You seem to be renowned for taking – and giving – offence when someone posts something you don't "approve" of.

<snip>

If you can get over yourself and think about something constructive to say it would make a refreshing change.

You don't like much, do you? And you complain about everything else.

While I understand the desire to rebut an "attack" on you, I would have hoped you could have done so in a more temperate fashion.

So gentlemen, as forum moderator I have the ability to "officially warn" posters, to vet all their posts before they appear and in extreme cases to ban them from posting entirely. I hardly ever exercise such powers and I don't want to start now. So please calm down and think before posting.

Thanks you. Lactodorum

Edited by Lactodorum

Living on an island where it costs £50 just to get off for the day to go caching I love Puzzle Caches, and indeed a third of the caches I've set are puzzles. The fact that some puzzles take a long time to solve just adds to the enjoyment, particularly on rainy evenings.

My personal favourite are the feindish ones where there is some kind of cryptic puzzle to be solved but the final location can only be deduced once you visit the physical location. Visual puns are also a treat, though I can't really give any examples as that would spoil the fun for those that follow.

Having worked in Dorset for the Autumn of 2006 I realy enjoyed all the puzzle caches, particularly those set by Achos, even if I still have not found all the physical caches yet. I can appreciate that those that want to clear their county/local area may get infuriated by unsolved puzzles, but they could try teaming up with some other local cachers who are having more success finding unknown caches.

I can only echo many of the comments made here.

I don't mind puzzles so long as:

- I can find my way to the solution without endless emails to the owner

- I can check the solution before leaving home

- there's a balance of caches within an area

- I don't have to solve complex puzzles in the field

For me, the purpose of caching is to take me outside to see interesting places, not to spend hours looking at Google and/or trying to work out what the owner means by the latest cryptic hint. And I really thank those cache owners who use GeoChecker.

It's not good to have too many puzzle caches in one area, because it leads to new cachers thinking that either that's all there is to caching so giving up because they can't do puzzles, or placing more puzzles because they think that's what's expected. As mentioned by purple_pineapple 43% of the 310 caches within 10 miles of Look Sharp 2 (which we can't solve :P ) are Mystery caches. This compares with the UK average of 10% Mystery. And most of those 43% aren't easy, one-quick-Google-and-you've-got-it sort of puzzles. They're mostly Mensa-membership-required sort of puzzles.

A further problem with that level of puzzle saturation is that the caches themselves may be in beautiful or interesting places which other cachers would like to see, but they don't know about them because the cache location is hidden behind a puzzle. A Trad, or even a Multi, would bring many more cachers to the area (which might or might not be a good thing :blink: ).

I hate caches which have complex puzzles to be solved in the field. Since I don't have the same resources in the field as I do at home this almost always means a return trip or a phone call to the owner (in which case, return to the top of this post :blink: ).

43% of the 310 caches within 10 miles of Look Sharp 2 (which we can't solve :blink: ) are Mystery caches.

I don't know the cache but it didn't take me long to guess where it is :P And I guessed right. :P That does seem to be a bit of a black spot for puzzle caches, but I don't think it's reached the point where ordinary caches are being blocked on proximity grounds, so I'm not too bothered.

What strikes me - whenever I glance at one of these, as I did just in checking the location - is that, unlike (say) the New Scientist Enigma which is pretty hard but at least you understand what you're trying to do, many of these don't have any indication of what the puzzle actually is. Some kind of code cracking? I suppose it's ok once you're an initiate, a bit like trying to figure how to do cryptic crosswords without knowing the various methods used by setters.

Disclaimer: Before I'm attacked for whining, I'm quite happy for puzzle caches to exist. They contribute to the diversity of caches, and are popular with their adherents, so more power to them! I'm entirely happy to have an opinion that differs from others and for others to hold those that differ from mine. :blink: De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited by Team Sieni
Elzzep caches, ...

Now I have a problem with forum posts. What's an Elzzep cache?

:P

Puzzle spelt backwards (and miss-spelt)

I figured out what was meant, maybe thats why I like some puzzle caches!

G

K&G,

I am so sorry. That response was sarcasm on a fantastic scale! I don't think the OP meant to speel it rong. (bet they'll come back and say they did. Ho hum)

Hence the smiley..

:blink:

What strikes me - whenever I glance at one of these, as I did just in checking the location - is that, unlike (say) the New Scientist Enigma which is pretty hard but at least you understand what you're trying to do, many of these don't have any indication of what the puzzle actually is. Some kind of code cracking? I suppose it's ok once you're an initiate, a bit like trying to figure how to do cryptic crosswords without knowing the various methods used by setters.

This, I must admit, is what I don't like with some puzzle, ooops, I mean elzzep, caches. When I see them, I ignore them. Once I had the keyword and the online program to decrypt the repeated letter blocks and I still couldn't get the thing to decrypt properly. Even when I "acquired" the decrypted text and reversed the process, it wouldn't work. So I gave up.

Puzzle caches that tell you what they want you to do and then you (try and) do them are much better.

GCT0FF ( possibly the cleverest one I've ever cracked - one of the TRUE GREATS - re-instate asap!!!)

Oh Kind Sir! We are truely honoured! It IS my favourite placed cache, and although it does seem to have prompted the plethora of puzzles in the area, I still like it! I will be reinstated as soon as DEFRA is happy - anyone know anything further? I may just re-enable it anyway - all the bits are still in place!

Many thanks for the compliment - its what makes placing caches worthwhile! Pint on us when we see you next!

I can only echo many of the comments made here.

I don't mind puzzles so long as:

- I can find my way to the solution without endless emails to the owner

- I can check the solution before leaving home

- there's a balance of caches within an area

- I don't have to solve complex puzzles in the field

For me, the purpose of caching is to take me outside to see interesting places, not to spend hours looking at Google and/or trying to work out what the owner means by the latest cryptic hint. And I really thank those cache owners who use GeoChecker.

It's not good to have too many puzzle caches in one area, because it leads to new cachers thinking that either that's all there is to caching so giving up because they can't do puzzles, or placing more puzzles because they think that's what's expected. As mentioned by purple_pineapple 43% of the 310 caches within 10 miles of Look Sharp 2 (which we can't solve :P ) are Mystery caches. This compares with the UK average of 10% Mystery. And most of those 43% aren't easy, one-quick-Google-and-you've-got-it sort of puzzles. They're mostly Mensa-membership-required sort of puzzles.

A further problem with that level of puzzle saturation is that the caches themselves may be in beautiful or interesting places which other cachers would like to see, but they don't know about them because the cache location is hidden behind a puzzle. A Trad, or even a Multi, would bring many more cachers to the area (which might or might not be a good thing :blink: ).

I hate caches which have complex puzzles to be solved in the field. Since I don't have the same resources in the field as I do at home this almost always means a return trip or a phone call to the owner (in which case, return to the top of this post :blink: ).

well said! Note to self to put Geochecker.com on my own puzzles! Oh, and we're stuck on Look sharp 2 as well, although we have made a start! PM if you want to natter about the local puzzles in particular!

Elzzep caches, ...

Now I have a problem with forum posts. What's an Elzzep cache?

:(

Puzzle spelt backwards (and miss-spelt)

I figured out what was meant, maybe thats why I like some puzzle caches!

G

K&G,

I am so sorry. That response was sarcasm on a fantastic scale! I don't think the OP meant to speel it rong. (bet they'll come back and say they did. Ho hum)

Hence the smiley..

<_<

On this occasion I didn't mean to spell it incorrectly, that is what happens when you post whilst being half asleep. :(

Editied to correct - whilst - I'm going back to bed.

Edited by Fifth Barrowcliffe

They are not that bad, I only have only got two to go. But then puzzle caches are perfect for me. I have a lot of time in the evening to solve them once my family have gone to bed, but during the day I have very little time to go caching, so a brisk 20 min walk to or from work is ideal. For me it is long live the puzzle cache <_<

As an aside the series I love/hate puzzles - Mists of Time is designed to get people into puzzle caches. If you do them in order they have large hints about how to solve the next one and the techniques used.

Now to try and solve c'mon boys...

Edited by garyhoney

It is exactly for the range of comments below that I designed my latest series - I love/hate puzzles. You can solve these sitting at home, or you can go to the first one, which contains info on how to solve the next one etc. I hope this way to keep all parties happy and so far the response has been great. The gurus started at the end and worked backwards to prove they could (actually I challenged them to do it that way) and others are working their way round using the info I have given them. <_< . Seems to work, and gives people who hate puzzles a chance to add some caches they would otherwise have ignored.

If it was possible to consistently filter them out then it would be no problem.

Also if you knew which bit of wood or feature they were near you could avoid them for your own cache placements

Unfortunately with the way the site works this is currently impossible.

You still have to look at every mystery cache listing individually to find if its a code to crack or a not at the co ords multi type of mystery and then decide (in our case) whether we can solve it there are some basic techniques we go through like sudoku /view source / background / zoom in on images etc before hitting the ignore button.

I had an idea for a puzzle cache once involving a statistical tool i use at work.

It was that realisation that it was going to be more about showing off how clever i was rather than this is a great spot hope you enjoy it that led me to not go ahead with any cache based on this we can make our hides hard enough without the need for creating hard puzzles.