Getting your log deleted after finding a cache

AquaSmurfs

Hi,

I was just wondering what you all would do about getting your log deleted?

Here is the situation: I found two of this owners caches in a row, and when I got back home to log them on Groundspeak I found out they were archived. I logged them because they were there and I found them and signed the log book later the owner deleted my logs. These caches where archived a couple months ago but still in place! I tried contacting the owner they will not reply. What would you do ?

Hi,

Here is the situation: I found two of this owners caches in a row, and when I got back home to log them on Groundspeak I found out they were archived. I logged them because they were there and I found them and signed the log book later the owner deleted my logs. These caches where archived a couple months ago but still in place! I tried contacting the owner they will not reply. What would you do ?

Strange that they were archived a few months ago, but still physically existed. Cache owners have a responsibly to go out and get their archived caches.

"Geolitter" is very much frowned upon and gives the entire game a bad name.

I think I'll comment on the trash aspect.....

I would e-mail the owner and let him know his cache is still there (obviously you did that by finding it).

Next, if it bothers you that the cache is still there (geo-litter), then I'd POST a note asking if the owner would like you to go pick up his cache for him (I say POST because he didn't respond to your email, yet he read and deleted your find...so he IS reading the cache posts).

Then.... I guess if it stays Archived and you get no response.... pick it up (after all....it is archived and no one else will be looking for it)

While taking a "what? me worry?" attitude is acceptable by some, what about leaving trash out there that will never be picked up?

Having the original poster log finds on archived caches shows the owner leaving the caches as geolitter. Perhaps he doesn't want anyone to know that he did not remove his caches. He could also be someone bitter with the game.

Why were you looking for caches archived over a month ago?

I think I'll comment on the trash aspect.....

I would e-mail the owner and let him know his cache is still there (obviously you did that by finding it).

Next, if it bothers you that the cache is still there (geo-litter), then I'd POST a note asking if the owner would like you to go pick up his cache for him (I say POST because he didn't respond to your email, yet he read and deleted your find...so he IS reading the cache posts).

Then.... I guess if it stays Archived and you get no response.... pick it up (after all....it is archived and no one else will be looking for it)

I agree.

Deleting found it logs on two archived caches and not responding to a finder (per what the OP said) is selfish and asinine in my book.

"Cachers" like that give Geocaching a bad name.

Edited by IDLookout

While taking a "what? me worry?" attitude is acceptable by some, what about leaving trash out there that will never be picked up?

Having the original poster log finds on archived caches shows the owner leaving the caches as geolitter. Perhaps he doesn't want anyone to know that he did not remove his caches. He could also be someone bitter with the game.

The reason I went "after" an archived cache was because my gsak didn't upload the cache as archived... it uploaded it as a current active cache... I am currently working on trying to figure the gsak issue out in another post, but in the mean time, I was trying to figure out what to do about this particular situation.

The reason I went "after" an archived cache was because my gsak didn't upload the cache as archived... it uploaded it as a current active cache... I am currently working on trying to figure the gsak issue out in another post, but in the mean time, I was trying to figure out what to do about this particular situation.

It sounds like you uploaded a new pocket queryto GSAK, and it did not update that cache because it was already archived. If you look closely at the GSAK columns, your see one called last update. This will show which caches weren't updated during your recent pocket query upload. Manually open each waypoint, to check on its condition. This has worked many times for me. I've weeded many newly disabled/ and newly archived caches using this method.

Another more effective trick is to check the box that deletes all waypoints before uploading the new query. Be careful, because you will delete and solved puzzles (with corrected coordinates), unless they have the lock on them.

I'd log them again and again....over and over.

Yep, you found them, you log them. I probably wouldn't get involved in picking them up as they're not my property. But I'd sure keep logging them until I outlasted the owner or just lost interest.

I think it would be wise to check to see if they are still listed on one of the other web sites.

Edited by Klatch
Yep, you found them, you log them. I probably wouldn't get involved in picking them up as they're not my property. But I'd sure keep logging them until I outlasted the owner or just lost interest.
I think it would be wise to check to see if they are still listed on one of the other web sites.
Agreed.

The cache owner may no longer list his caches on GC.com, but still have them active on a different site. If he is upset with GC.com for some reason, he may not wish for anyone to log his caches on this site.

Agreed.

The cache owner may no longer list his caches on GC.com, but still have them active on a different site. If he is upset with GC.com for some reason, he may not wish for anyone to log his caches on this site.

think about possibly adopting the cache. send e-mail with your request. can't hurt to try.

Hi,

Not worry about it. :surprise:

If you're worried about the accuracy of your actual finds, you can also log a find on one of your own caches. I've seen several people in disputes simplay "find " their cache with a log saying "logging to replace deleted log on cache GC????. This was you have an accurate number, and you dont worry about a pi$$ing match with a crabby cacher.

Log it backdated and say sorry for the late log found this xx years ago and just found the crumpled cache page in my rucksack.

Apparently logging via wap will not send the owner an email if you want an alternative.

{Insert sarcasm here]

In otherwords JUST LIE?

Why not just steal the container,move it a few feet ,and since it's archived just start a new cache with a new name.

That way you can set an example by being both a lier,and a theif.

That should teach them to deny you a smiley!

Agreed.

This is very possible . . .

While caching with someone who had "stale data" in his GPSr, we looked for and found a container that had been listed as a cache on GC.com, but was now part of a Multi-cache listed on another site. Since it wasn't the first cache of that Multi, I didn't have that location in my GPSr.

We logged our finds on GC.com and they were not deleted . . . but if they had been . . . well, I'm not sure what I would have done . . .

It really depends on why they were archived. For some caches the reason they were archived don't lend themselves to new logs. Others the cache is there, you found it, fair enough.

Geolitter is a separate issue. If someone should happen upon my King of the Hill cache and logs it if they would pick it up for me I would really appreciae it. I have not been out caching in so long that it's going to take some time for me to make the sweep to pick it up.

That's fine, but he could have the courtesy to explain the log deletion, not just do it with no explanation. Truthfully I doubt I would hold up interest in the relogging project very long. But if he childishly deletes a perfectly legit log with no explanation, I could certainly lower myself to the equally childish re-log. Heck, it could be fun. That's the point, yes? fun.

At the end of the day the cache owner has final say over the logs as long as they are within the confines of the agreement they sign off on each time they confirm a change.

Just have to blow that stuff off and be thankful you aren't that uptight that you need to be that way. :surprise:

Arrg, what a way for a geocacher to act.

If the cache exists, if your name is in it's log book, you should be able to log it.

I logged an archived cache a few months ago.

It was a puzzle that i solved in a neighboring state but didn't have time to visit when I went to a monthly event in that state. So I found it a month later. Didn't realize it had been archived until I actually talked to the cache planter at that event an hour after my finding his cache. He was happy for me to remind him that he had several caches to physically remove.

Who archived the cache?

Hi,

This situation is the exact reason that I liked someone's idea on here (sorry I forgot who) that suggested having reviewer "helpers" who would go around to archived caches and make sure that they are cleaned up. I know, it might promote people to not bother picking up their old caches, but I'm also sure there's others like me that wouldn't mind gathering them.....and in the end, getting some cache containers and things as a bonus. It's just another chunk of the whole CITO idea.

This situation is the exact reason that I liked someone's idea on here (sorry I forgot who) that suggested having reviewer "helpers" who would go around to archived caches and make sure that they are cleaned up. I know, it might promote people to not bother picking up their old caches, but I'm also sure there's others like me that wouldn't mind gathering them.....and in the end, getting some cache containers and things as a bonus. It's just another chunk of the whole CITO idea.

Apparently you missed the posts in this thread where people said that the cache may be listed on another website. Geocaching.com is the biggest, and IMHO, the best geocache listing website but it isn't the only website that lists geocaches. The cache owner may now be listing the cache on another website. You would cleaning up a cache that although archived at Geocaching.com is active on another website.

How would like it if people using those other caching websites decide to clean up some caches that are no longer active on those websites but still active here at Geocaching.com?

Who archived the cache?

Hi,

From what I have read he archived most of his caches because someone was taking them !

Hi,

Archived? Still in place? Heck! Swap out the logs and publish a couple of new caches! All the hard work is already done!

Apparently you missed the posts in this thread where people said that the cache may be listed on another website. Geocaching.com is the biggest, and IMHO, the best geocache listing website but it isn't the only website that lists geocaches. The cache owner may now be listing the cache on another website. You would cleaning up a cache that although archived at Geocaching.com is active on another website.

How would like it if people using those other caching websites decide to clean up some caches that are no longer active on those websites but still active here at Geocaching.com?

I didn't miss the posts at all. It's really simple, people have a mouth and can use it. The site can "ask" a person if the cache is to be completely archived or if it will be active through another site. Something could be mentioned to the fact that it's important to know as if someone were to find it later and come back and see it archived, the cache might be picked up as "geotrash". I see no rational reason to lie to a question like that, notice.....I did say rational. If the member wants it pulled because they want to stop doing that cache, and they haven't retrieved it in awhile, then the "helper" can pull it. I suppose we should leave all the trash out that we see as theoretically someone might come back to "use it later". I'm not for taking someone else's property, but I'm willing to bet there's alot of geotrash out there, and it would never hurt to clean up the world a bit.

I didn't miss the posts at all. It's really simple, people have a mouth and can use it. The site can "ask" a person if the cache is to be completely archived or if it will be active through another site. Something could be mentioned to the fact that it's important to know as if someone were to find it later and come back and see it archived, the cache might be picked up as "geotrash". I see no rational reason to lie to a question like that, notice.....I did say rational. If the member wants it pulled because they want to stop doing that cache, and they haven't retrieved it in awhile, then the "helper" can pull it. I suppose we should leave all the trash out that we see as theoretically someone might come back to "use it later". I'm not for taking someone else's property, but I'm willing to bet there's alot of geotrash out there, and it would never hurt to clean up the world a bit.

I think that the cache owners should be responsible for their own caches. A feature like that could easily encourage people to leave "geotrash". All that have to click in a box and someone else will take care of it for them, we all hope. I don't see how a "helper" is much different than a cache cop. Geocaching.com is a cache listing site. I don't think they should be in the cache clean up business.

I think that the cache owners should be responsible for their own caches. A feature like that could easily encourage people to leave "geotrash". All that have to click in a box and someone else will take care of it for them, we all hope. I don't see how a "helper" is much different than a cache cop. Geocaching.com is a cache listing site. I don't think they should be in the cache clean up business.

I agree that the cache owner should be responsible, unfortunately sometimes they don't accept their responsibility seriously and "trash" is left. I personally don't see how the "helper" I mentioned has anything to do with the "cache cop". The "helper" wouldn't be going out and taking people's caches just because they want to, they would be told of an archived cache that the owner chose to end permanently. Then they would simply go out and see if the cache is still there and needs removing. Your "cache cop" thread was about people stealing caches they didn't think were "good" caches. How do those two things relate?

I don't think that GC should be in the clean up business either. And if you read my first post, I said that I admit that it might cause people that would normally remove their caches from doing so. However, I also said that I feel there would be a good number of people who would happily go out and look for these caches needing to be removed as they would get a bonus of a cache container and such. Now, sure it's not for everyone, but just because you wouldn't be willing to do it, doesn't mean anyone else wouldn't. There are lots of people who don't participate in CITOs, but there are alot who do. Cleaning up trash, geotrash or otherwise, is never a bad thing. It's just a shame that more people don't participate in it.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic. I would say to the OP: I would personally contact the owner of the cache via a log that asks if he would like you to collect his archived cache for him, since he clearly isn't interested in it.

Just move on. Log one of your own caches as found or find a pal who will let you log one of theirs as found to keep your numbers right if that is a concern. Refer back to that actual cache in the log, and provide a link to it if you want. I've had this happen from someone who did not like the fact that I archived one of their locationless caches. I logged a cache as found twice in the manner that I described. I do look back to see how active they are. Maybe someday I will see if I can get my log back on the cache page.

GC.com is not the log police. The cache owner has the right to delete your log. If you continue to log the cache page over and over, it can be seen as bad since you are turning the cache into a "forum" of sorts. The site discourages this.

The site also does not get involved in removing caches since they may very well be listed on another site.

I hope this helps. I am sorry you lost your find on that cache. Bummer.

There are other websites out there similar to geocaching? Unless you're referring to terracaching.com or Waymarking.com

Is the CO still an active geocacher? How long ago was his last logged find? If he's still caching, how long ago was his most recent hide? Maybe he had a bad experiencing hiding caches, but still enjoys finding caches.

Edited by Phatfish16

Hi,

Take the cache as ultimate proof that you found it :)

Hi,

I'd find the nearest cliff with a 200' drop and I'd jump. :):):)

Edited by Team Cotati