No Google Maps using Mozilla Firefox

Luv2hyke

When I open a cache using Mozilla Firefox there is no map that usually shows the location of the cache. It was working fine before the latest site update. Below that map area are the numbers 1 through 10 that you can use to zoom in/out. Above the 1 is a very small square with a dot in the middle. When I click on that square it opens up Google Map Search, but it is just a blank page.

Below the usual map area you have the Online Maps area. I still get nothing when trying to open Geocaching.com Google Maps. The other map options open up OK.

When I use IE as my browser everything works fine.

I opened a ticket up with technical at Groundspeak and they said to put it out to the forum because they don't have an answer. Anybody have any ideas?

When I open a cache using Mozilla Firefox there is no map that usually shows the location of the cache. It was working fine before the latest site update. Below that map area are the numbers 1 through 10 that you can use to zoom in/out. Above the 1 is a very small square with a dot in the middle. When I click on that square it opens up Google Map Search, but it is just a blank page.

Below the usual map area you have the Online Maps area. I still get nothing when trying to open Geocaching.com Google Maps. The other map options open up OK.

I opened a ticket up with technical at Groundspeak and they said to put it out to the forum because they don't have an answer. Anybody have any ideas?

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.8 and it works fine for me....

It works on Firefox 2.0.0.7 for me, but it wont work with Netscape 7.2

It works on Firefox 2.0.0.7 for me, but it wont work with Netscape 7.2

I can confirm that one , I use netscape 7.2 and the maps do not work at all .

Star

I have had exactly the same experience both with the small map on a cache description page as well as with the "Geocaching.com Google Maps" link. That is, I get the tiny square where the map should be on the cache description page, with the numbers underneath it; and then with the "Geocaching.com Google Maps" link I get the regular page for the map--but the map itself is blank. And what's extra weird is that all the other map links on the cache description page work fine as always.

These missing maps both worked great for many months before this problem appeared.

I am not using Firefox. I am using Netscape 7.1, and I even tried MSIE 5.0 and got exactly the same results: the two missing maps as noted while the other map links worked just fine.

I am also using Windows 98SE as the operating system.

Apparently something has changed in the feed that does not allow these browsers and/or Win98SE to render the maps.

I never realized how dependent on these google maps I have become--particularly the satellite photo overlay. This loss of the google maps is almost a disaster.

First the MobiPocket downloads got axed, and now google maps don't work. The GC Web site is only about 30% as useful as it used to be. Only the GPX downloads remain quite useful. If they go bye-bye, brrrrr! It would be like geocaching in the Ice Age. Please, someone, what changed and can we get it back? Did something get switched on and we need to switch it back off--or vice versa?

If it requires me to install yet another browser, I'll probably do it (reluctantly); but can someone confirm which non-MSIE browsers (including name and version numbers) can not only render the missing maps but also install on a Win98SE system with a 650 MHz Athlon CPU and 384MB of RAM?

Thanks. --WR

I have had exactly the same experience...

...If it requires me to install yet another browser, I'll probably do it (reluctantly); but can someone confirm which non-MSIE browsers (including name and version numbers) can not only render the missing maps but also install on a Win98SE system with a 650 MHz Athlon CPU and 384MB of RAM?

Thanks. --WR

I tried the latest version of Netscape 9.0 (which is based, they say, on Firefox 2); it essentially didn't work any better than Netscape 7.1 or 7.2. That is, it didn't display the "Geocaching.com Google Map".

So, no version of Netscape, including the latest version of 9.0 (which is the latest version of Netscape and based on Firefox 2), displays those particular maps correctly. I think I smell a Microsoft conspiracy here!

I'm gonna try Firefox 2 next. Several people in this thread say it works. We'll see....

I still think it is fundamentally a problem that could be corrected in the coding. Remember, Netscape 7.2 was displaying these maps completely perfectly through several revisions of the "new code" and "new database software" over the past couple of months (or so). But with the revision that was introduced on approximately October 15, 2007, the ability to view these maps abruptly ended.

--WR

I use Mozilla 1.7.7 and have not been getting the maps for about 2 weeks. :huh:

PapaDean

Sometimes I see the map, and sometimes I just see the little dot where the map should be.

Same here, with 2.0.0.8. Mostly it works, say 90% of the time.

I think the problem is simply, sometimes the server doesn't return the map like it should. In the same way that certain pictures in cache logs take a looong time, or forever, to load. (Why certain pictures, I couldn't tell you.)

Is there trouble in the boiler room? Has anybody checked the gauges lately? What's the PSI on the '/' application?

I can't get Google Maps from the cache pages to work in Firefox either. I've tried several suggestions for fixing the problem like

Clearing the cache

Clearing cookies

Changing image settings in about:config

Clearing Load Images Automatically exceptions list

Checking "move or resize existing window" in javascript

None of these have fixed the problem. Any more things I can try?

Firefox 3.0.3 on Windows XP