GSAK Question

Yes, you can upload the Hint to your GPS.

Click GPS in the GSAK tool bar then select Send Waypoints....

In the lower right side of the Send Waypoints To GPS screen you will see a field called Waypoint Description Format. In this field enter %Hint

After you load the waypoints into your GPS the Hint will show up when you select a cache or if you select the Data button when in the Compass mode.

Yes, you can upload the Hint to your GPS.

Click GPS in the GSAK tool bar then select Send Waypoints....

In the lower right side of the Send Waypoints To GPS screen you will see a field called Waypoint Description Format. In this field enter %Hint

After you load the waypoints into your GPS the Hint will show up when you select a cache or if you select the Data button when in the Compass mode.

Very cool! Now the cache name is not the GC number. How can I change that back to the GC#? Also, the hint only shows a few words, is it possible to show the whole hint or is this a limitation in the 60?

There is a character limit so only the shortest hints will be complete. I don't find the GC code to be very useful for me when I am caching. I use this code for the Waypoint.

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

You can mix and match those codes any way you find useful, so if you need the GC code use the code: %code

There is a character limit so only the shortest hints will be complete. I don't find the GC code to be very useful for me when I am caching. I use this code for the Waypoint.

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

You can mix and match those codes any way you find useful, so if you need the GC code use the code: %code

I love it! Could I use our code you have here, but instead of the smart name, could I drop the GC from the code and use the rest of it? Instead of GC1234, my cache name would be 1234 ST22. Is this possible?

To quickly determine the terrain rating from the code just add one and divide by two. So a 5 is a 3 terrain: (5+1)/2 = 3.

Is there a way to keep the 1-5 rating and just drop the last number? A 2.5 would become a 2 for instance?

Yes, there is a lot you can do with special tags. For a complete summary of tags and what they mean please see "special tags" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

... but to quickly answer your question, just use:

%dif=1 %ter=1