Question about Plucker Desktop

Hynz

I'm using GSAK, Spoilersync and the Plucker Desktop to build .pdb files for my old Palm m505.

As long as I'm not attempting to build a .pdb file of a size bigger than about 130 Mbytes everything works fine. But the more pages the HTML page has the more main memory the plucker dektop is using incrementaly.

So in my case (Win 2k, 1Gbyte main memory) if the resulting .pdb would be bigger than about 130MB the Plucker Dektop aborts (after a loooong work) due to unavailable main memory. In my case (I'm using pictures) this equals to about 2000 geocaches which is nice but since I have a 512MB SD card I'm looking for more :D

I admit that building and transfering such a big .pdb to the Palm is quite a time consuming task still I wonder if the behaviour above is usual for the plucker desktop and if anybody is using plucker to generate "bigger" .pdb files

BTW changing the way the Plucker Desktop is working through the HTML tree (depth first / breadth first) does not change a thing.

I never managed to use Sunrise even with few caches, but maybe I should dive into that.

Additionaly: Is anybody aware of a generic SW to circumvent a shortage of main memory at the expense of time and HD space?

I'm not familiar with Spoilersync or Plucker . . . I've always just used the GSAK Export to Cachemate .pdb option. I wonder if you did "Date Placed" filters in GSAK to reduce the number of caches in each of the .pdb files you could ultimately get all 2000 caches, but each "filter" would return a number of caches that can survive the transfer.

I use the Palm Desktop HotSync (Win2000 OS) or PilotInstall (Win XP Media Editon) to transfer the .pdb files Exported from GSAK. The largest .pdb file I've ever sucessfully transfered is only 50 MB.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is restricting the pluck to the host. If you don't, you'll be plucking pages from all over the web, which are mostly extraneous. Restrict it to the domain, at a minimum, or preferably the host. That should make your files much smaller and several times quicker to run.

Sunrise or Plucker will choke on some sites if the depth and domain aren't restricted. I've seen Sunrise choke and give up on some sites - I let it run for 2 days once on a site, and it never finished. You have to be careful with the settings, especially on sites with more links to other sites than to their own pages.

Sunrise or Plucker will choke on some sites if the depth and domain aren't restricted. I've seen Sunrise choke and give up on some sites - I let it run for 2 days once on a site, and it never finished. You have to be careful with the settings, especially on sites with more links to other sites than to their own pages.

Yes, if you try to store the entire Internet on your PDA, you're likely to run into problems. :(