Is it wrong to not log your caches here?

dthigpen

So I've been caching since '02, having done so around the US, found a lot of fun places because of it (Deep Creek Hot Springs in CA, Centralia in PA, etc). I always went for quality of unique caches over quantity. A couple years back I quit logging my caches here because, well, I have no reason. Am I doomed to a doot bucket in hell?

In my defense, I don't take Travel Bugs anymore because I can never be assured of when or where I'll cache next.

Is it wrong? No at least not the way lying, stealing and cheating are wrong. It is however a courtesy to the cache owner. The way I look at it the cache owner spent the time, effort and money to place a cache. The least I can do is let him know I found it and enjoyed myself.

But on that note, I do sign the log book, just not log it here. With that said, does it sway your opinion?

Not really. Logbooks can and do get lost, ruined or muggled. The logbook logs are usually just a short "Found it, TFTC" type log where many online logs are lengthy and descriptive of the fun one had while finding their cache (not all mind you).

Since it is your choice and I've seen it done often, I'm not judging you good bad or other, just pointing out that some do place those caches as a way to enjoy caching...reading the logs might be the only way for some to get to enjoy caching.

As the owner of ~100 caches, many of them somewhat remote, I'd certainly appreciate an online log when they're found. Tells me they're still out there and someone is finding them.

As a cacher who has become somewhat lazy and forgetful about logging, I have a certain sympathy for not bothering to log online.

It's a tad lazy and discourteous, but it's an option. You might consider a compromise - logging online when you notice that your log in the book is the first for some time. Just an idea. And it doesn't have to be much, just thanks and cache in good shape (assuming cache in good shape) would make me happy if you got out after any of mine that have no finds since last December.

As the owner of ~100 caches, many of them somewhat remote, I'd certainly appreciate an online log when they're found. Tells me they're still out there and someone is finding them.

As a cacher who has become somewhat lazy and forgetful about logging, I have a certain sympathy for not bothering to log online.

It's a tad lazy and discourteous, but it's an option. You might consider a compromise - logging online when you notice that your log in the book is the first for some time. Just an idea. And it doesn't have to be much, just thanks and cache in good shape (assuming cache in good shape) would make me happy if you got out after any of mine that have no finds since last December.

Good reply. I'll start logging online again, but I'm still going to keep writing limericks in the log books to weird people out.

There are also geocachers who log multiple online finds on the same cache, or log online finds on caches they didn't actually find. Therefore, in order to keep the balance of GeoKarma in the caching universe, the community needs people like you who find the caches and sign the log, but don't log online.

Thank you for your service to geocaching.

There are also geocachers who log multiple online finds on the same cache, or log online finds on caches they didn't actually find. Therefore, in order to keep the balance of GeoKarma in the caching universe, the community needs people like you who find the caches and sign the log, but don't log online.

Hey Leprechauns, It's been awhile since I've visited the forum, but that new frog avatar sure does creep me out for some reason. Good to see the same old faces are still regulars though.

Also, is Hamstercaching (whatever that is, I can only imagine) painful?

Edited by dthigpen

I'm not as regular as I used to be. I find myself running to the bathroom between each forum post.

I hope you are doing well.

EDIT to add that hamstercaching is NOT painful, so long as everyone follows the common sense instructions found on my profile page. Canvas work gloves are quite effective.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Is it wrong? No at least not the way lying, stealing and cheating are wrong. It is however a courtesy to the cache owner. The way I look at it the cache owner spent the time, effort and money to place a cache. The least I can do is let him know I found it and enjoyed myself.

But on that note, I do sign the log book, just not log it here. With that said, does it sway your opinion?

No. There is a strong possibility the owner will never see the logbook. Caches go missing, whether stolen, washed away, or destroyed by animals, etc... Logbooks are destroyed in brush fires or get wet and disintegrate, or are replaced and discarded by well meaning finders.

The people who put together this website set up a great system for notifying cache owners of activity regarding their caches. Using it is optional, but it is the best way to say thanks to the cache owners and let them know the status of their cache.

Whenever I see posts like yours my first reaction is "I bet he doesn't own any caches". Most of the time I am right. My wife was very lax about logging online, until she placed a cache of her own. Now she eagerly awaits logs and has learned how much these logs mean to the cache owner.

Edited by briansnat

I always enjoy reading the online logs. It really is a an enjoyable part of the caching experience. I prefer to see people log finds online, but if they don't... well I'm sure people have their own reasons. To each their own.

That being said, I applaud your decision to not take trackable items from caches. Travel bugs and Geocoins are meant to be logged and tracked. Not logging a find online is your game, not logging a trackable ruins someone else's game. Thank-you for being considerate of the owners of these items! :D

People who don't log their finds online are ruining it for all of us who use the find count to know who is winning. How can we tell whether or not we're ahead of you? The only reason we enjoy geocaching is the competition. What a killjoy.

PS - could you pretty please go find a DeLorme Challenge cache, after completing all the requirements, but DON'T log your find online? That way, I can log a find on the DeLorme Challenge cache that I co-own, and it will all be good.

Thanks bunches!

How can he find your DeLorme Challenge cache. Don't the rules state you have to log the caches as well as find them? I checked. (It also seems the Pennsylvania Reviewers considered that one of them might do the challenge under their personal account and even have a special rule to cover this, so there is no need for Lep to offset his log with someone who didn't log online).

Edited by tozainamboku

Whether or not your online logs will be missed depends in large part on

• the caches you visit
  • the logs you would have left

Trivial caches that get a couple of visits a week, documented by "TNLNSL, TFTC," won't miss your online logs. If you're visiting spectacular backcountry caches and stiffing the owner by not logging online, that's a real shame. The psychology of it is curious, too. Why come online to tell us you don't log online? Oh, right, because we wouldn't know otherwise.

Why come online to tell us you don't log online? Oh, right, because we wouldn't know otherwise.

It's rather simple, and the reason the question was posed. I was at the last cache writing a nice limerick in the log and realized that I hadn't logged any caches online in a long time. I am curious of other's ethical opinions on the subject and their reasoning.

If you at least sign the log book in the cache, you are good to go. You should be aware that not all cache owners get a chance to read the log book due to theft, and other causes. However if you do the harder caches in remote areas...they are more likely to get the chance.

Why come online to tell us you don't log online? Oh, right, because we wouldn't know otherwise.

It's rather simple, and the reason the question was posed. I was at the last cache writing a nice limerick in the log and realized that I hadn't logged any caches online in a long time. I am curious of other's ethical opinions on the subject and their reasoning.

Hold on a sec while I crank the suspension-of-disbelief control to 100%...There, done. OK, you needed to take a poll to find out that cache owners would really appreciate an online log, even a brief one, to thank them for the cache and to give them a warm fuzzy. Gotcha.

Restoring the SOD control to its normal setting (17%, just above paranoid) before I'm tempted to answer that polite email from the former Nigerian Treasury Minister.

Seriously, why not just post the limerick online? Or at least say, "I felt inspired to write a ditty in the logbook--you'll see it next time you're out there." Means a lot to cache owners. Or I see that you've got an online photo gallery--shame not to post one of those as a cache log. People like this stuff. If the issue is a desire to stay out of the numbers racket, post a note.

Another thought on this subject .... We do paperless caching, and with that you can look at the past logs while out searching for a cache. Many times when we run into one that we are having a hard time finding we will look at the past logs and see how long it has been since someone found it. If the past log shows that it was found 2 weeks ago I will keep looking because it is probably there, if it has not been logged in 6 months I may begin to suspect it MIA.

Edited by Echo & R.T.

Good reply. I'll start logging online again, but I'm still going to keep writing limericks in the log books to weird people out.

I noticed you hadn't written a limerick at this cache yet. :D

I'm glad you're considering logging online again. As a cache owner, I like to get notes about my cache online, even though I usually do go page through the log book every now and then.

As a cacher, I really enjoy reading the online logs. Sometimes the only reason I go after a particular cache is because something someone else said about the cache online made me curious about the area, the hide, or the container. There are a few caches that I have on my watchlist just because they generate interesting logs--there are a few cachers whose logs I wish I could track, jsut because they write really fascinating logs almost all the time.

No ethical issue is involved, its a game and there are no obligations.

Personally, I only occasionally log on line now (also haven't done so in a while) because I got really turned off by some cache owners who get all worked up about what one needs to do to have the priveledge of logging their caches on line and how it is their right to delete any on-line logs they don't like. I accept that it is the owner's right to do as he/she pleases, but it is also my right to step above all that and just not deal with that element. I will log on line only as a way to thank an owner, not to score a smiley.

I think there's another benefit to the cache finder for logging online, which is very important to me and others.

Logging online consistently from the beginning has been a great thing for remembering where I've been and what I've done. It's like a life/travel journal. The site keeps it all nicely organized by date and where it is (what state, country). And you can upload pictures and see them.

There have been countless times that I've used my profile to remember when I went on a particular trip, what I was doing on a certain date years ago, etc. I'd be pretty lost without it! :D

I love looking at older pictures of my kids and family from five years ago in my cache logs, for instance, as well. And, recording my caching with friends, visiting them and having them visit me, Events, etc. with a log and pictures. Good times, good times. :D:D

Edited by Ambrosia

That sort of thing can be really fun - I encourage you to do that on the online logs as well (if you decide to log online), so that everyone can see them.

There is a local cacher who posts poems (haikus?), for his log entries which is interesting: yumitori. There is also a local, EraSeek, who likes to quote poems and books sometimes, like on notes to his caches and such. Here's one he posted for me after I found one of his caches: Linky :D:D

Yes, you are doomed to burn in hell for eternity.

So I've been caching since '04, having done so around the US and in Italy, found a lot of fun and interesting places . I always went for whatever caches that met my personal search criteria, leaning towards quanity vs

quality. To this very day, I log all caches, found and not found. The reason is quite simple. It is the right thing to do.

I only take Travel Bugs when I am confident that my near term caching plans will allow me to move them along. This is a near saintly action my part practiced by few if any other geocachers.

I still might burn in hell, who knows, however I do take solace in the knowledge that it will have nothing to do with my participation or non-participation in the game of geocaching.

:D:D:D

Edited by Team Cotati

I noticed you hadn't written a limerick at this cache yet. :wub:

Hey, I'm just settling in here, give me some time. :D

Something tells me that writing limericks is not required. :wub::D:D

Do i get carbon credits with that too? :wub:

Do i get carbon credits with that too? :wub:

No, you don't. :D:D:(

The only requirement to log a cache on-line is if you want a smiley. Other than that, it's up to you.

I strongly recommend logging travel bugs in and out of caches, if one is going to move them but that does not require logging the cache as found.

I am quite surprised at the number of people who sign a log, but do not log on-line. (As well as the number of people who log on-line withhout signing the log. But that is a different thread.)

I do log all the caches that I find. And I enjoy reading the found logs on my caches. (Not that my caches get all that many finds. :P)

But, no. It is not required.

All my interesting stories end up in the on-line log, never in a logbook. If you found an LPC, don't log it if you don't want. But if you had a great time, found a really unique cache, extraordinary scenery, please take the time to log so that the owner knows your appreciation, and to encourage interest in finding this wonderful cache.

No ethical issue is involved, its a game and there are no obligations.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Just because it's a game doesn't mean that people shouldn't be considering other people's feelings and thinking about someone else besides themselves.

You don't have to go to the end of the line at the bank.

You don't have to help the little old lady cross the street.

You don't have to stop and help someone who is lost.

You don't have to think about anyone else except yourself.

These are all options you have. I think not helping a little old lady cross the street is morally wrong. You may disagree, that's your right. I think not considering others is also morally wrong, regardless of whether or not it's "Just a game"

My 2 cents :P

I log because I want the online and offline tools to know what I have done and not done. Helps me de-clutter maps.

I also like the visibility with my buddies.

As mentioned before, I also love it when someone logs my cache finds and gives feedback.

I say log away but it is of course a personal choice and no no will be damned one way or another.

So I've been caching since '02, having done so around the US, found a lot of fun places because of it (Deep Creek Hot Springs in CA, Centralia in PA, etc). I always went for quality of unique caches over quantity. A couple years back I quit logging my caches here because, well, I have no reason. Am I doomed to a doot bucket in hell?

In my defense, I don't take Travel Bugs anymore because I can never be assured of when or where I'll cache next.

You're okay. What am I going to do, delete your logbook find?

Seems to me that you know what's important for the cache owner to know about the cache.

You're okay. What am I going to do, delete your logbook find?

That's what I do. If I find a name in my logbook that didn't log their find online I cross it out. :P

Of course not baby, my sweet little honey bunny. Mommy loves you so much. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, even if it is an understood common courtesy to say Thank You to those who have taken the time and effort to amuse you.

Do you want a cookie ?

Echo & R.T. made a valid point about the value of past logs when paperless caching - I often rely on past finder's logs when it's just me 'n' my PDA.

As a (relatively) new cacher, I LEARN from logs; having the benefit of another cacher's experience at a cache site can be invaluable. It was from a past log that I learned about a wasp's nest at a trailside location - that didn't deter me from finding the "4-sting cache" but at least I was forewarned! :P Previous finders often mention issues/concerns that didn't exist when the cache was published, i.e., downed trees, snakes (!!), water issues, road closures, and "next cacher please bring a new baggie/pencil/log sheet" container needs - among other things!

I look forward to the "tips-n-tricks", the humor - limericks count! - the humanity and the unique perspectives fellow cachers share in their logs. Not unlike the Forums, eh? :blink: You asked, "Is it wrong not to log your caches . . ?" Dr. Seuss said it well,

"You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

You're on your own, and you know what you know.

And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go."

Interesting discussion.

Here's a perspective that hasn't been shared (but I can't be alone): I don't much read the logbooks in my caches. I leaf through them when I replace them... that's about it.

If you visit one of my caches and leave a limerick, the only people who will read that gem are the people who read the logbook before they sign it. How many of us really do that on a regular basis? If you're writing poetry, don't you want to share it? Why not share it with anyone who reads my cache listings?

I couldn't care less if you logged your passage (other than to the extent that it's good to know someone stopped by--and you acknowledged understanding that), but you appear to be someone who likes to communicate.

Why toss your artistry to the winds?

No, I don't want a cookie. Some people don't even want a smilie.

If you keep the cache owner informed and TBs on track what's your beef, Mommy?

So what do you do ?

Send the cache owner an off site email ?

You're talking about me, right? Yes, I either post a note or send the owner a private email. It depends on how public it needs to be.

I've done that on several occasions, where the owner needed information about their cache. And many times when the public needed to know.

Nothing to do with me logging a found it. Although sometimes I can do both at the same time.

All my interesting stories end up in the on-line log, never in a logbook. If you found an LPC, don't log it if you don't want. But if you had a great time, found a really unique cache, extraordinary scenery, please take the time to log so that the owner knows your appreciation, and to encourage interest in finding this wonderful cache.

When i find a cache in a place that is not crawling with muggles, I spend a lot more time with the cache actually in hand. In those cases I read the log book to some extent and will write a little more in the log. These caches are also the ones that are most likely to get an online log because they are most likely to have had something noteworthy happen in the search.

My current practice is to log online only when I have something worth saying. As in your LPC reference, when there is nothing much that happened except I found a container with a piece of paper in it, i can see no other reason to log it online than to score a smiley. Since I don't care about the smileys, I don't often log these caches. This is not limited to LPCs, but is pretty much the case on any find that is nothing much more than just another find.

i could just as easily not seek caches that might be "lame" but there is a modest amount of uncertainty about cache listings that doesn't allow for surety in "filtering out" the lame. That and the fact that my caching moods vary, causes me to find a certain number of caches that aren't particularly noteworthy.

If there is something wrong other than the ubiquitous wet log book, I'll fix it or I'll let the owner know - UNLESS it looks like the owner doesn't care about the cache. If half a dozen other people have logged the problem, I don't see the need to waste the bits (or my time).

To those who say "log everything for the owner's pleasure," I would ask is it realistic for an owner to expect glowing accolades, or even "honorable mention," from every seeker when the owner has put minimal effort into hisher "art?" Would it be fair to say "better caches make (for) better logs?" (apologies to Papa John's)