World Wide Flash Mob

I just found out about the geocaching World Wide Flash Mob happening November 10th all over the world. There are 28 entries so far from countries such as the United States, Canada, South Africa, Iraq and the United Kingdom. I can't believe there isn't a post here about it so I wanted to get the word out more so more cities will participate. Check out

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d3vxrg4_179cbqd8d

for some of the details. To see a list of participating cities do a search for caches using keyword 'WWFM'

I'll be participating in the London WWFM!

Hope to see you all participate!

:huh:

Where can I get a copy of the log for this event? If there is no official log, what information is required on the sign in sheets? And where do I send the list afterward? This is my first event to host and I just listed it. I am waiting for it to be approved and posted. Yeah, I know its last minute. It is the only one in Arkansas, as of now.

I've just added the below "quote" to the wikipedia entry on flash mobs. Visit it here. I'd love it if somebody could put some more time (and know-how) into it to make it more informative and impressive! Maybe there's a way to count all the participants who log 'attended' and post that statistic in there...

To beat the United Kingdom number, we would have needed an average of 42 cachers at each event (I doubt we did it), but any number would be cool to figure...

===Worldwide===

Geocaching.com users organized a self-directed WorldWide Flash Mob on Nov 10th from 12:00pm to 12:15pm EST. It existed as 83 separate organized events on 5 continents in 9 countries. The USA hosted 53 of these events across 33 states.

NoVAGO (Northern Virginia Geocachers Organization) hosted a WWFM Event today at noon in Reston, VA. Very successful, and lots of fun. 50 logs have been posted so far, and there's bound to be more...we had somewhere between 90 and 110 attend (many were family members without their own GC.Com account though). A good time was had by all, and it was the fasted 15 minutes I ever experienced -_-

Bill

NoVAGO (Northern Virginia Geocachers Organization) hosted a WWFM Event today at noon in Reston, VA. Very successful, and lots of fun. 50 logs have been posted so far, and there's bound to be more...we had somewhere between 90 and 110 attend (many were family members without their own GC.Com account though). A good time was had by all, and it was the fasted 15 minutes I ever experienced :wub:

Bill

I hosted one today. :o

We had a group of folks come from 100+ miles away. :wub:

It was fun, but a little odd. The logs explain it. It's hard to have a true flash mob when 98% of the folks in the area are IN on it and we're trying to act like we don't know one another until the event starts. :lol:-_--_-:anicute:

We had a 5/5 Kayaking Flash Mob event on Saturday in the middle of the Cape Fear River in Wilmington NC.

5c363ec4-e992-4b73-b799-afc9c021fa75.jpg

Cape Fear Adventure - The Rogue's Revenge

Let's just say it was a rough day for Kayaking... high winds, strong currents, and large waves! ::

I don't think I have ever jumped waves in a kayak before

What were we thinking????? :D

We also had a few other "visitors" show up... an ambulance, the EMS special operations rescue truck, a fire engine, a FD rescue truck, the FD rescue boat, and the coast guard! :laughing:

Turns out... someone fell in! :D:D

From what I hear, he even got to ride in an ambulance :D:D well... to the park since he "floated" back to the wrong dock - oops! :D

Thankfully he was OK, but I'm SURE he will never live this one down :D

I guess we will do anything for a smiley!!! :D

Oh.... did I mention we almost ran into a big ship

5ec92ad0-4c15-47f7-94b3-656d541dbad3.jpg

Edited by medic208

In regards to Geocaching and Flashmobbing, is there only one day each year where a Flashmob Cache can be held, or can someone hold one of these caches at any time?

You can hold them anytime. I held one on Oct 21.

Attendees were required to pose in a statue garden displaying some sort of anquish

having to do with geocaching (ie DNFing). We even had a few geocachers to play the part

of a Royal Court to preside over the festivities. :unsure:

You can see a video of it

:

The cache page for it is here.