Experience with Oakcoins/ Geoswag

rickctroop13

Thanks for the quick comebacks. My first order thru them- slight problem. Gone 5 days w/o reply from 'shop@' email, 2 days from 'support@' I've gotten used to at least an automated "We got your email". Starting to wonder if they were a problem outfit- I see they're not.

Patience (& confidence) has been restored. :huh:

I had an AWFUL experience with Oakcoins/geoswag.com's support@ email address. Their responses were about every 3 days (too slow in my book). I won't go into it because I got over it and just thinking about it again upsets me. Basically, my problem was that the answers from support@ weren't clear and they actually tried to tell me I was mistaken in where my previously purchased geocoins had come from.

This hasn't happened with any other vendor's, or individual seller's, support that I have dealt with and in the end Oakcoins/geoswag.com did not give me satisfaction.

(edited to soften response; sorry I guess I did let it upset me again.)

Edited by TokyoBlossom

Top notch! GeocacheAlaska! has worked with Oakcoins to create two different coins and three different pins and all projects have gone off without a hitch. Our micromosquito coins had to be completed on a tight time line so they could be ready for the first Geocoinfest and Oakcoins delivered on time. I also worked with Oakcoins for a pin for a nongeocaching organization that, even though it was a very small order in the scheme of things, was treated just like any other project.

Have only bought individual coins from them and am on their flavour of the month club... never a problem. Had to contact them on occasion about icon or tracking # issues and they got back to me within a few days. Understandably not the fastest response you come to expect from other "businesses" but it's hard to imagine the geocoin houses as a regular brick and mortar, 9-5 style operations. I imagine most have day jobs.

I have made over 3,000 coins with them so far this year and have had nothing but positive things to say. I have another 2,800 coins on order with them now.

Just remember when emailing any of the coin companies here, they have a life outside of here. While it may seem they have nothing else to do but deal with coins, there isn't enough buisness to make it their only income. Family, work, and even a vacation or two will always cause a slowdown on response times. Most of these companies here are run from home with less people than you have fingers on one hand, so enjoy some caching for a day or two while waiting on that response.

I have to add to the chorus of good things about Oakcoins. These are a great bunch of folks. I am on my fourth and fifth project with them and have nothing but good things to say.

As for Geoswag, I have never had an issue with slow delivery. In fact, generally, I am wondering what the package in my mail box is because I don't expect to see my purchase so quickly.

I ordered once through Geoswag. I was a little bit unhappy about the high shipping costs for international shipping (I bought just one coin and paid more for shipping than for the coin :D ). To my dissapointment they shipped the wrong coin (a yellow racing ballon instead of a blue one). I wrote them an email about that, and after a few days got a reply that they will ship me a blue one. That was last week, and the new coin hasn't arrived yet. So my first experiences with Geoswag are not the best, but I guess I had just bad luck in that case, and they handled their mistake very professional.

But I guess I will not order just a single coin again because of the high shipping costs. You have to add a fixed amount to your order, no matter how much you order, and not based on weight, and that makes it too expensive if you buy just a single coin...

But I guess I will not order just a single coin again because of the high shipping costs. You have to add a fixed amount to your order, no matter how much you order, and not based on weight, and that makes it too expensive if you buy just a single coin...

There shipping is a lot cheaper than for us in the US to purchase coins from some of the european vendors. My shipping from one in particular is usually 10 euro for up to 5 coins. Do the math on a single coin purchase at that rate :D

Edited by AtlantaGal

There shipping is a lot cheaper than for us in the US to purchase coins from some of the european vendors. My shipping from one in particular is usually 10 euro for up to 5 coins. Do the math on a single coin purchase at that rate :D

I only can compare to other coin shops overseas, and geoswag was the one with the highest costs for a single coin... (but after all, it will be for two coins, and then again, its OK.) I don't have much money at the moment, so for me it makes a difference if I pay 7 $ or 4 $ for shipping, even if the difference isn't that big :D

Regarding shipping costs from Europe, that's true. Even national shipping in Germany is quite expensive (about 5 EUR minimum per order). And international shipping is even worse, especially if you have to insure it (and the shops have to insure it). Mailing a single coin costs 2 EUR without any insurance and without any costs for handling, mailers etc. , two coins raises the shipping costs to 4 EUR (these are just the prices you have to pay at the post office). And when it weights more than 100g it costs already 8 EUR. Insurance costs 3,05 EUR for international mailers worth up to 100 EUR. (Prices are different in other European countries, these are from Germany only)

Edit: just back from the post office to learn that there are coins that are too heavy for a 2 EUR mailing... just had to pay 4 EUR for a mailer with a single coin :D

Edited by Steinwälzer