Geocaching = Motivation For Jogging

Does anyone else use geocaching as an incentive for jogging?

While I do enjoy a nice jog in a park somewhere, I must say that jogging toward a cache gives me a little extra motivation. I mean, I like jogging in and of itself, but knowing that I might score a find somewhere in there makes me want to remain dedicated a little more. Then again, maybe I'm simply craving some sort of instant gratification for doing something healthy. :huh:

While I do enjoy a nice jog in a park somewhere, I must say that jogging toward a cache gives me a little extra motivation. I mean, I like jogging in and of itself, but knowing that I might score a find somewhere in there makes me want to remain dedicated a little more. Then again, maybe I'm simply craving some sort of instant gratification for doing something healthy. :huh:

I do! Use to do a lot of H3 running so I like looking for things when I'm jogging. Keeps my mind off the workout.

I'm not a jogger, but I do find that caching provides additional motivation and structure to my exercise program*. It's one thing to exercise for 'general health and fitness,' but another to prepare for an 'event' like a series of long hikes or difficult climbs. During a workout, it's pleasant to imagine that fitness gained will reduce the time and effort required to get to some remote cache location. Not to mention adding a margin of safety in the event things don't go according to plan.

On the rare occasion that caches I'm after lie along a decent trail, I do run some stretches, particularly the downhills. But jogging, no. My walking and running gaits are ugly enough; jogging would scare the wildlife.

(*windsprints, gymnastics, and dynamic/odd-object lifting)

While I do enjoy a nice jog in a park somewhere, I must say that jogging toward a cache gives me a little extra motivation. I mean, I like jogging in and of itself, but knowing that I might score a find somewhere in there makes me want to remain dedicated a little more. Then again, maybe I'm simply craving some sort of instant gratification for doing something healthy. ;)

I had a very difficult cache in mind for my 1100th find. Knowing in advance how hard the hike would be, gave me the motivation to take up jogging. Everytime I jogged, I thought of my goal. The conditioning helped, but the hike still kicked my butt. :huh:

I do! Use to do a lot of H3 running so I like looking for things when I'm jogging. Keeps my mind off the workout.

What's "H3 running?" (Tried to answer my own question via Google, but got lots of hits about Hummer H3s.)

I have no idea what H3 running is, but I get close to half of my caches by running to them.

I run during my lunch hour every day and have found nearly 90% of the caches that are within distance where I can run to them, take 10 min to find, sign and put back and then get back to the office and changed back into more appropriate clothing. I like to refer to it as a "cache and dash" on my logs.

I think jogging promotes the sport in a more athletic light akin to riding a bike, hiking etc. Call it "eco friendly caching" where there isn't a need for fossil fuel powered transport :huh:

I have no idea what H3 running is, but I get close to half of my caches by running to them.

I run during my lunch hour every day and have found nearly 90% of the caches that are within distance where I can run to them, take 10 min to find, sign and put back and then get back to the office and changed back into more appropriate clothing. I like to refer to it as a "cache and dash" on my logs.

I think jogging promotes the sport in a more athletic light akin to riding a bike, hiking etc. Call it "eco friendly caching" where there isn't a need for fossil fuel powered transport :huh:

Click! (Lightbulb illuminates over head.) Hash House Harriers, right? Doh!

When I get sufficiently conditioned to leave the Jeep in the garage and run to a trailhead 150 miles away, I'll probably have lost interest in caching anyway ;) But it's a nice thought. I do walk to work, does that count?

I will firstly say - i am an athlete... a high jumper namely. My geocaching interest was fuelled by wanting something to do in my time when i am not training, instead of simply sitting around watching tv or browsing the internet which seems to be happening more and more often, i thought a more productive use of my time could be invested in seeking out caches in the area either on foot or by mountain bike. I totally agree that this is a fantastic motivation to get outdoors and get active. Just one piece of advice if running to caches - remember to stay hydrated!!